Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POLL: Do you allow dogs on your boat?

mook222

Do you allow dogs on your boat?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Do you allow dogs in your malibu? ("dogs" is classified as > 20lbs)

• Yes, always
    • Yes, but only on special occasions
    • No, never
    • Don't have a dog to let on the boat
  2. 2. If you do let dogs on the boat, do you do anythiung special to keep them from damaging the interior?

• Sit on towels
    • Custom Made Seat Covers
    • Only Allowed in One area of Boat
    • Don't worry about it - Malibu upholstery is HEAVY DUTY and can handle it!
    • I don't let my dog on the boat
    • I don't have a dog
    • Other?

Crew,

Okay, I never let our labs go our on the bu... Partially because I like a super clean boat, and partially because we also have a pontoon that is designated the "dog boat". The third reason is that we have older doogs (10+ years old) that are usually fine sleeping half the day when we are boating, and then running around the yard, swimming in the lake, or on the pontoon the other half of the day.

To this point, I've endured the comments about being the "meany" who won't let the loving dogs on my prized Malibu... But, my daughter is getting a puppy for Christmas which I think may change things a little. (and I wouldn't mind selling the pontoon for the cash if there was no need for a second "dog boat")

Let me know what you do in your boat currently, and then if there is anything you do to protect the seats and gadgets from the additional water and fur.

Thanks for your input,

Mook

Edited by mook222
Crew,

Okay, I never let our labs go our on the bu... Partially because I like a super clean boat, annd partially because we also have a pontoon that is designated the "dog boat". The third reason is that we have older doogs (10+ years old) that are usually fine sleeping half the day when we are boating, and then running around the yard, swimming in the lake, or on the pontoon the other half of the day.

To this point, I've endured the comments about being the meany who won't let the loving dogs on my prised malibu. But, my daughter is getting a puppy for Christmas which I think may change things a little. (and I wouldn't mind selling the pontoon for the cash if there was no need for a second "dog boat")

Let me know what you do in your boat currently, and then if there is anything you do to protest the seats and gadgets from the additional water and fur.

Thanks for your input,

Mook

We don't do it often but our little dog has gone with us a couple times and will probably join us again for day trips. He is only 12 lbs and is not allowed on the seats. He usually lays under the dash or is held. He enjoys the water and being out with us. A lab would be hard for me as they shed and that I don't like even at home.

I let only my dogs on our Bu (a boxer and a schnauzer), but only about three times a year. I am very careful to put down towels on seats and floor and they are both very docile (sp?). They both love the water and during the warmer months I start to feel bad for leaving them home all the time. I also am very anal about the cleanliness of our Bu, but if I have to spend an extra 20 minutes cleaning up after we take them I guess I'm ok w/ that b/c they have a great time being w/ us!post-3940-1229024580.jpg

My yougest daughter is always bugging me to take her Lab on the new Bu, so far I have held her off. Previous Bu we allowed her dog on the boat and it seemed like I could never get all the hair no matter how many times I vacumed.

Nope, not in the house ,not in the car, not in the boat.

My buddies girlfriend has a little rat dog that he's required to bring on occasion(SAN),I guess it's a good trade for him. I don't need my 100lb Rottweiller in the boat and even though I brush her two or three times a week she still gets hair on our patio furniture,. She gets to ride in the bed of the truck a lot and comes to work with me often, when shes not on duty guarding the boat.

we have two pugs , they come with us on boat most of the time and are pretty excited when they see us loading the boat

we line the seats and rear deck with towels for them , our male pug (norman) prefers to sit on the bow light while cruising

at idle with a harness on and you hang on to him as well. Thumbup.gif

No dogs, some people are bad enough just spilling drinks or chip crumbs. I've already done the vacuuming of carpets for dog hair in our last boat, don't want to do it anymore. In fact, we don't even have dogs anymore but they do make booties for their feet to help with any scratching of the gel coat.

No Way, No How.

A dog will not ever be wanted aboard our vessel, we have enough blemishes on the upholstery and other areas already without the help of canine nails digging and scratching everything it touches. We do not have one at present and hopefully will not be getting one any time soon.

As for others that do, I can somewhat understand the fact that certain people feel the dog is part of the family and they want to bring it where ever they go, but it is most certainly not wanted on our boat.

If any of our guests ask, the answer is…we want to see your come with us, but please leave the dog at home, it would likely cause some problems or become an issue on board.

If anyone pressed the issue from there, I think our response would be something like…ah well that’s too bad, maybe you could get a sitter for the dog and be able to join us next time, see ya, we’re going to the lake now.

No dog for us right now. I let my brother in law bring his yellow lab out one day. I thought i was gonna have a panic attack watching the dog step on the seats to get on the platform. He's mellow though, not rough. I still don't think I have all of the hair out of the boat though. Its worse then velcro! I think for the future it will def. be kept to a minimum

We have tried a couple of times with our sheltie. He really does not enjoy it, gets very nervous and needs to sit on some ones lap. Why stress the poor guy out ? We just leave him at the cottage when we hit the lake.

i understand that yall want a pristine and clean boat, but me and my family could really care less. granted, we do wipe down, use windex, vinegar, and other things to clean the boat, but we never vaccuum. and i swear, my friends make more of a mess than my dog ever could. our dog is so much fun to be with and i will take her most times we go out. you just need to keep the nails clipped.

we take our 50 lb boxer all the tme and she loves it just got to keep the nails trimed.

Plus1.gif Keeping the nails trimmed is a must! Other than the Bu our dogs don't get to ride in anything. Both ride in the back of the truck, never in the cab. Both are allowed in the house, but not on any furniture! Took a lots of time (and frustration) to train them on the rules!

Our dogs love to go on the boat. We actually do it only a few times a year. We have three, Jesse & Frankie (James) are about 75 lbs each Border Collie mix, and Riley is a 30 lb lab/terrier mix. Their nails are trimmed & shedding isn't usually a problem. And if it is, I shop vac it up without any trouble. We've never had a problem with upholstery getting torn on any of our boats.

IMG00056.jpg

My dog is not allowed in the Malibu. She is a water FREAK...and will drag anyone and anything behind her to get to the lake. Therefore, she is not a fan of sitting inside the boat while we are on the lake. We do take her out on the pontoon at times and she is usually well behaved, until she sees a duck, loon or other bird...and decides that she is in hunting mode...then it is sploosh, we have wet dog all over the place.

We try to keep the upholestry and carpeting clean in the Malibu too, the dog just doesnt help that out...she gets plenty of lake time jumping off of the dock though!

Dog is always in the boat, actually, sometimes hard to get her back out when it goes back on the lift. Keep the boat immaculate, make sure there are towels for the dog and the nails are clipped. Just have to vacuum the hair off the engine cover once a month. No food allowed in the boat, that makes more of a mess than anything else IMO. Besides, the dog is a much better spotter than anybody else, doesn't whine or complain or need to go in early. Couldn't care less if we are skiing in the rain, cold or whatever, just loves to ride and lick off a wet skier!

We would take our dachshund out, but he just doesnt like being in the boat. Doesnt like getting into the water much either, so he stays in the motorhome or at home if its just a day trip. We also have a 130lb Rott that is a big baby, but we wouldnt even consider taking him.

We have an 1.5 year old 80lb Black Lab/Australian Shepherd mix. He is a wild man so he hasn't been on the boat yet. If he cools down a bit over the winter we might think about it next year, but right now he destroys anything he can get his teeth on. I can't imagine what the rope handle would look like! Funny everyone figured out you have to click the "sit on towels" thing to vote. Even those without dogs use towels for their dogs. :-)

IMG_3405.jpg

Edited by martinarcher
Funny everyone figured out you have to click the "sit on towels" thing to vote. Even those without dogs use towels for their dogs. :-)

I fixed the poll. (I blew it when I was submitting and then got called away) :Doh:

There were 20 votes all for sitting on towels, so when looking at that section later you can deduct most of those voters who figured out they had to choose that option to enter the vote and see results.

Thanks for all the responses. Some of them make me feel vindicated that I have implemented the "dog boat" / "people boat" separation, and others make me feel guilty and that it is time to relax the rules... We'll see what happens this summer and how well behaved the new pup is....

Mook

Edited by mook222

Used to take the wienerdogs out all the time. They loved being on the boat. Once one of them figured out the life vest thing, she would go out into the water and become a bouy. Unfortunately, they have both passed. The current German Shepherd Dog just doesn't like being out on the boat or around the water that much, so she stays home.

I checked 'other' in the second part of the poll. On the occasion that my son and I take his dog with us for a coffee cruise, she goes from dock to floor of boat and from floor of boat to dock. We don't allow her to put paws up on vinyl or get coat.

EDIT: Yeah, I know I must be mellowing in my old age to even let the dog look at my boat. Must be something about ensuring that my son enjoys the boat causing a shift in my priorities. . . :unsure:

Edited by VinRLX