Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'02 or '04 VLX?

MadDogMike

I'm sure you get these "which boat should I buy" questions all the time, so I'm sorry if this has been beat to death. I'm deciding between an '02 and an '04 VLX. I know they changed the hull (above the rub-rail) in '02, so the '02 looks just like the '04. The equipment / options are the same on both, except the '02 has the Titan tower and the '04 has the Illusion.

There's $4k difference between the asking price of the two, which I thought was a lot. However, I checked the NADA guide and it shows a $6 - $7k difference between the retail price of the two. Is that a normal price difference for a 2-year split, or were there some major changes between the 2002 and 2004 models?

Another question, the owner of the '02 says the hour meter on the dash was removed to install PerfectPass. Does that sound normal? Is there another meter on the engine somewhere that could confirm the hours?

Thanks,

Mike

We need more info on options, hours, and condition to evaluate that $4k difference. But as you imagined there were no real major changes that would make the 04 stand out above the 02. People are big fans of that illusion tower for resale however, but the Titan is an awesome tower.

The hour gauge on the 02 was in the tach, which is normally removed when perfectpass is installed. Perfectpass has an hour meter (any decent tech who installs it will set the hours to what was on the boat originally, but who knows) you can access that by pushing the menu and up buttons at the same time IIRC.

To check the hours, you need to have a dealer scan the engine computer. Also ask the buyer if the ECM was ever replaced, because that will start the clock back at zero.

-Chris

We need more info on options, hours, and condition to evaluate that $4k difference.

Both boats have perfect pass, MLS system, tower with board racks and speakers, wedge, etc. Is there any difference in the MLS between '02 & '04? (I hadn't kept up with the progression of MLS over the years. I remember the early models just had the ski locker tank. Then they added the two rear tanks. At some point Malibu added a bow tank, didn't they?)

The big difference between the two is the hours. The '04 has 280 hours while the '02 has "over 500". (He doesn't know for sure, because of the meter being removed, but he says less than 600 for sure.) Condition seems similar in terms of vinyl, gelcoat, etc.

thanks,

Mike

The 04 may have a hard tank versus a bag for the center ballast, which is a plus. Both should have hard tanks in the back, but you need to confirm on the 02. My gut tells me there was no bow ballast on the vlx until 2005 (new hull).

Have this guy go into the perfectpass, do the menu and up button and that will give him the hours. He probably just never knew it was in there. At the very least you have the number of hours since the PP install.

So is the 04 worth $4k more...maybe, but you are definitely in a buyers market right now.

-Chris

The 04 VLX does have a hard tank in the front & two in the back.

Wow!! I see u have an 04 VLX as well? My boats is a bag!!!

The first 2004 boats that were made at the end of summer 2003 had bags in front and some of the trunk/hatch hinges were black the later ones where chromed or maybe stainless.

2 words: Gorilla Fins. Get the 2004.

Oh, I thought those were only on the '05 and later.

Just drive each boat and you'll feel what we are talking about, but yes '04 was the first year for them.

Definitely worth driving both of them to feel the difference. You are welcome to come and take a test drive in mine. I am in the Atlanta area and I have a later model 04 VLX with the three hard tanks for MLS and the Gorilla Fins. If I'm not mistaken Dontknow.gif , some of the later model 04 23 WS LSV boats had the bow ballast installed, but they weren't put in the VLX until 05.

Best advice... go through each boat throughly. Before I bought mine, I looked at several that were reasonably priced and looked great on the surface, but once I started climbing around checking things that most buyers wouldn't think to look for, I found several things I was not satisfied with and walked away. It took me looking for a little over three years to find one that I was going to be happy with.

Definitely worth driving both of them to feel the difference. You are welcome to come and take a test drive in mine. I am in the Atlanta area and I have a later model 04 VLX with the three hard tanks for MLS and the Gorilla Fins. If I'm not mistaken Dontknow.gif , some of the later model 04 23 WS LSV boats had the bow ballast installed, but they weren't put in the VLX until 05.

Best advice... go through each boat throughly. Before I bought mine, I looked at several that were reasonably priced and looked great on the surface, but once I started climbing around checking things that most buyers wouldn't think to look for, I found several things I was not satisfied with and walked away. It took me looking for a little over three years to find one that I was going to be happy with.

Just bought the '04 for $27,900, which I think is a heck of a deal. Gorilla Fins, three hard tanks.

JBuck, what lake do you ride on around the ATL? (I would ask you what are the things that most buyers don't look for, but I guess it's too late now!)

Just bought the '04 for $27,900, which I think is a heck of a deal. Gorilla Fins, three hard tanks.

JBuck, what lake do you ride on around the ATL? (I would ask you what are the things that most buyers don't look for, but I guess it's too late now!)

I am on the southside of the city in Newnan. We usually head to West Point, I know too many people on Lanier and the Toona to drag mine up there. We also have a place at Burton up in the NE mountains. When we have a free weekend, we head over to Wedowee in Alabama it is a little over an hour away from the house.

As far as what to look for... the Crew has compiled an awesome checklist for used boat buyers here This pretty much outlines the necessities. I also like to spend time on the boat with the owner (if buying from an individual) to see how they treat the boat. Do your research on the year model you are interested in and make sure you know each and every little or big problem or nuisance for that year model and check for them. I check all the fuses, knobs, switches, hoses, engine compartment hardware (motor mounts), slop in the rudder, prop, shaft. My current boat I took a creeper and crawled all underneath the boat to check for gashes, deep scratches, etc.. I am very anal about my boats and if I am not satisfied with every little detail, I will walk away. I will try and get a list together of everything I check for (this may take a while!! Whistling.gif )

Most importantly congrats!! :werule:Partytime.gifWelcome.gifSurprised.gifCrazy.gifCheers.gif Now lets see some pics!!

I am on the southside of the city in Newnan. We usually head to West Point, I know too many people on Lanier and the Toona to drag mine up there. We also have a place at Burton up in the NE mountains. When we have a free weekend, we head over to Wedowee in Alabama it is a little over an hour away from the house. ... Now lets see some pics!!

I'm in the Midtown/Buckhead area. We used to boat on Lanier, but now we plan to boat on lake Jackson and maybe buy a second home down there. Anyway, I opened an account on PhotoBucket so I could post some photos:

Photo_121108_005.jpg

Photo_121108_003.jpg

PC080021.jpg

PC080023.jpg

PC080024.jpg

There's more, but that gives you an idea.

Good looking boat!! I have several friends that live on Jackson. The Lees and a guy named Russ. We should hook up sometime for a mini-crew get together!!

Absolutely. Come on spring / summer! That's the thing about buying a boat in the winter; you can get a great deal, but you can't play with your new toy!