Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fogging EFI

I hear a lot of talk about fogging cylinders individually. Pistol Pete, you mentioned it too, yet this is in your winterization doc warning against this due to Hydro lock. ??

"Fogging Cylinders individually. This is the second biggest complaint and myth shops deal with. Like you,

many have read on bulletin boards or heard second hand that this is a good thing to do. The shops would love

it if everyone dumped all the cylinders full of fogging oil, Marvel Mystery Oil or, Uncle Joe’s favorite concoction

to ‘protect’ the cylinders, rings, and valve train. The reason shops would love you for doing this – they would likely be replacing at the least a new set of heads, and maybe a new short block as well. The only thing fogging individual cylinders is good for is setting up a potential hydraulic lock (assuming the plugs are put back in). First crank and bang. Broken piston, connecting rod, rings, valve seats or guides are likely targets of such actions. Bottom line – if you need to do this, there is something inherently wrong with your engine in the first place."

I didn't write that doc.

The only possible way you're gonna get a hydro lock is if you put a lot of oil or fogging oil directly in the cylinder.

This past weekend, I winterized my bu and did spray a little fogging oil in each cylinder. A 1 sec. burst. Then, with all the plugs out on that side of the motor, I bumped the engine.

So to summarize what can be found here and on other online sources,

Some people say that fogging isn't necessary at all. Some say you should only fog an engine if it will be inactive for years, not months. Some say that it is necessary on two stroke outboards only and not on four stroke outboards or inboards. Some say it is required on carbed engines only and should not be done on EFI engines at all. Some say it is okay to do on EFI engines as long as there aren't catalytic converters on the engine. Some say don't fog any engine with cats at all.

Some say that you should fog the engine by spraying fogging oil directly into the cylinders. Some say to never do this as it could cause damage from hydrolocking. Some say you should spray the fogging oil into the manifold while the engine is running. Some say that this should only be done to carbed engines. Some say it will foul injectors or MAF sensors if done on a modern EFI engine. Some say you can spray into the plenum after taking off the K&N filter. Some say that this will cause the oil to just pool up in the plenum and gum everything up. Some say you should fog the engine by taking a small gas can and filling it with a mixture of fresh gas, fuel stabilizer and two stroke oil and connect it to the engine. Others say that two stroke oil won't stick to the cylinder walls for more than a month and is a waste of time.

Did I miss anything?