Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fogging EFI

OK-

I've been doing my own winterization but I'm still unsure as to how to properly fog an EFI. I have a '03 Sunsetter/335 Monsoon.

I would appreciate any tips for this and as always an winterizatin tips.

Cheers.

OK-

I've been doing my own winterization but I'm still unsure as to how to properly fog an EFI. I have a '03 Sunsetter/335 Monsoon.

I would appreciate any tips for this and as always an winterizatin tips.

Cheers.

When you winterize the boat, first, make sure you have everything together and readily accessible. It makes life easier, and makes things go much smoother. First i drain th water out of the motor and manifold. Then run the antifreeze through the motor. I use about a 12oz. can of fogging agent, and slowly pour it into intake(no filter, obviously). As you get to the last ounce of oil, you can either pour it in thick and choke out the motor with it, or just finish it off, and shut the motor down. I like to turn the motor off myself, but either way is fine! Be sure to wd-40 the motor, and i like to pull my bilge pumps out. I had to replace one the first year i had it. A freeze cracked the blade over winter, even though i thought i had the boat pretty dry. Hope the info helps!

Air intake on the 03 will be on the side. You can remove the air filter and spray it in there, but you can also lose the straw if you're using one.

Other method is to remove the spark plugs and give a little shot to each cylinder. Not too much! Then turn the motor over by hand or key with the lanyard pulled so it can't start.

Or, if you're storing in a controlled environment, skip it.

Air intake on the 03 will be on the side. You can remove the air filter and spray it in there, but you can also lose the straw if you're using one.

Other method is to remove the spark plugs and give a little shot to each cylinder. Not too much! Then turn the motor over by hand or key with the lanyard pulled so it can't start.

Move to an area that doesn't freeze so you can use it all year long... Biggrin.gif

Move to an area that doesn't freeze so you can use it all year long... Biggrin.gif

Tease2.gif Nah, no need really. I spend more time in my boat during the month of July than you do all year. . .

:lol:

Tease2.gif Nah, no need really. I spend more time in my boat during the month of July than you do all year. . .

Think so eh? WOW one month would you like a medal? I personally would rather spend more time behind the boat... Tease.gif

Think so eh? WOW one month would you like a medal? I personally would rather spend more time behind the boat... Tease.gif

Hey, Justin, don't make me come over there. ;) Actually, I might not have to. . .hmmm... let's see. . .I think I have a picture of you playing in a band laying around here someplace. . .I'll photochop it, of course, before I post it. . . Whistling.gif

Edited by VinRLX

Who lives where it's cold and snowy?

Forecast

Who lives where it's cold and snowy?

Forecast

Your directly down wind from us, I have 6" of snow on the patio so they call it climate change instead of global warming nowdays

• 9 months later...

I am winterizing for the first time and had a question on the fogging oil. I have a K and N air filter ('07 monsoon 320), so I remove the K & N and spray about 12 oz of fogging down the air intake and immediately shut off the engine? On all the posts online, I have not read anyone removing the K & N air filter before fogging, maybe that step is obvious.

Don't know why this part is so confusing for me. any help appreciated.

Thanks.

I am winterizing for the first time and had a question on the fogging oil. I have a K and N air filter ('07 monsoon 320), so I remove the K & N and spray about 12 oz of fogging down the air intake and immediately shut off the engine? On all the posts online, I have not read anyone removing the K & N air filter before fogging, maybe that step is obvious.

Thanks.

Pistol Pete has a really nice PDF in his sig. and it walks you through fogging. Find here: click to download. Basically you remove the air filter and spray into the air intake for 10-15 seconds then shut off the engine (and don't start it back up again). The PDF recommends that you spray the fogging oil into the air intake and not directly into the cylinders.

Edited by Wakes

Hmmm.... I was under the impression that fogging via the intake on EFI models had potential to damage or gunk sensors up ($$$$$). I pull plugs, squirt a burst directly in each cylinder.

Edited by davemac
Hmmm.... I was under the impression that fogging via the intake on EFI models had potential to damage or gunk sensors up ($$$$$). I pull plugs, squirt a burst directly in each cylinder.

Don't know if it's gospel, but I only fog directly into the cylinders.

Thanks.

FWIW, I have the 320 LCR in my '06 21 LSV. I do the fogging exactly as you describe. No problems

in the 3 winterizations that I have performed.

I was reading the winterizing info from Pistol Pete. It says you are not supposed to fog an engine with Cats. Is this true. Last year we took our '08 response with the Monsoon to be winterized. The dealer let us watch and they fogged the engine. Anyone have advise. I was planning on winterizing it myself this year.

Hmmm YOU pull plugs and spray right in huh...

MPI is dry intake, I've always just gone right into the cylinders, plus it saves the smoke cloud from going into the garage.

-Chris

[

Hmmm YOU pull plugs and spray right in huh...

-Chris

...unless I can find a more qualified person to do it; such as a former Malibu tech (for whom I helped to sell a boat this year) Biggrin.gif

Edited by davemac

Sun Dvls,

Yes, you need to remove the K+N air cleaner and spray the fogging oil into/at the throttle butterfly. BUT, you might have catalytic converters on your boat and in that case, do not fog at all.

DaveMac,

There are no other sensors inside the the intake once you get past the throttle position sensor which is mounted right beside the throttle butterfly. So, as long as you don't purposely spray the oil right into/at the throttle position sensor (a.k.a. TPS) you don't have any other sensors to worry about gunking up.

Nayliner,

Sorry to hear they fogged your engine. If you have cats. Definetely not a good idea. Read this thread and, especially post #4. Paul is the real authority around here when it comes to dealer service practices.

All,

For everyone that has a non cat. engine, I highly recommend fogging through the intake/throttle body. You want that fogging oil to try to coat the inside of the intake manifold, the valve seats, and the valves. I would also pull the plugs and give a shot directly into the cylinders to coat the cylinder walls, piston head, and rings.

Sun Dvls,

Yes, you need to remove the K+N air cleaner and spray the fogging oil into/at the throttle butterfly. BUT, you might have catalytic converters on your boat and in that case, do not fog at all.

DaveMac,

There are no other sensors inside the the intake once you get past the throttle position sensor which is mounted right beside the throttle butterfly. So, as long as you don't purposely spray the oil right into/at the throttle position sensor (a.k.a. TPS) you don't have any other sensors to worry about gunking up.

Nayliner,

Sorry to hear they fogged your engine. If you have cats. Definetely not a good idea. Read this thread and, especially post #4. Paul is the real authority around here when it comes to dealer service practices.

All,

For everyone that has a non cat. engine, I highly recommend fogging through the intake/throttle body. You want that fogging oil to try to coat the inside of the intake manifold, the valve seats, and the valves. I would also pull the plugs and give a shot directly into the cylinders to coat the cylinder walls, piston head, and rings.

No worries on the injectors?

No worries on the injectors?

Nope,

They're plastic and live in a vastly harsher environment then a little fogging oil.

I figured you would ask about the MAP (manifold absolute pressure sensor)

So to clarify the best way to winterize a boat with cats is to put a small amount of fogging oil in each of the cylinders?

Section 7 of your Indmar Manual describes "Storage and Winter Layup" and under a CAUTION sign it says:

In Catalytic Converter equipped engines Indmar does not recommend applying fogging oil while the engine is running. The fogging oil could damage the catalytic converter.
All,

Agree. This was the recommendation in my owner's manual for my older BU's, non CAT.

It's also the very same recommendation for our other boat which has a Suzuki outboard.

Most engine owner's manuals should have these details listed.