Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refinishing Teak Deck

martinarcher

Hey everyone. This is the first winter we have owned our Malibu. It is an 88' Skier that is in great shape, but I figured it would be a good idea to pull the teak deck off, pull the metal mounts off it and refinish it. Here is what I've done with it so far....

1. Sand it with 240 paper.

2. Sand it with 320 paper.

3. Clean with TEKA 2 part teal cleaner i got at the local marina.

4. Let dry overnight.

It looked really good at this point. I then decided to apply a teak sealer I purchased called "Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil Sealant" in the Classic Color. I have applied two coats to the bottom of the teak deck.

I was wanting to know if anyone else has tried this sealant. The deck has dried for 24 hours after each coat and it feels very waxy. Is this normal? I assume it would help to seal it from water, but I don't know if I'll be a fan of a waxy deck. Feels kind of weird to me right now.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by martinarcher

I've been using that stuff for years and love it. I only apply one coat. I don't know about this "waxy" feeling you're getting.

I only sand and seal my deck twice a year and it always looks like new on my 9 yr. old boat. (I do the top and bottom)

See my pics at the last post here. mind you, in the pics. the top hasn't been re-done yet after all this season's use.

I've been using that stuff for years and love it. I only apply one coat. I don't know about this "waxy" feeling you're getting.

I only sand and seal my deck twice a year and it always looks like new on my 9 yr. old boat. (I do the top and bottom)

See my pics at the last post here. mind you, in the pics. the top hasn't been re-done yet after all this season's use.

Thanks for the reply and the pics. Your pics look about like what the bottom of my platform looks like with two coats of this stuff. It might be a bit brighter, but it's hard to tell. I took a paper towel tonight and wiped the platform down and it instantly turned teak colored. The platform feels like a colored it with a teak crayon and you get a waxy teak film on your finger if you wipe it across the wood. Did you happen to wipe the deck down with a rag while it was still wet with sealer? I might give it a week to dry more and see if the waxy stuff dries up.

I completely took mine apartment and sanded down completely. Used Teak Guard and it looks beautiful. Can't wait to see how it holds up in the summer.

AF1

Thumbup.gif

I completely took mine apartment and sanded down completely. Used Teak Guard and it looks beautiful. Can't wait to see how it holds up in the summer.

AF1

Thumbup.gif

I looked up the Teak Guard. It looks pretty expensive, but it sure looks like good stuff. I like the UV protection idea. Sounds like 303 for the teak deck. Let us know how it lasts. Might have to go that route next time I refinish it. This Starbrite is not impressing me in the least. It's like I coated my deck in a waxy stain. I'm debating if I should re strip it with the TEKA and finish with something else.

I always sand my deck with 2 to 3 different grits of sandpaper depending on scratches. I use a palm sander.

I apply the teak sealer with a rag so, I guess I'm wiping off the excess as I brush it on. I let it dry for a couple of days and the deck is a little slimy the first day on the water but, that will wear off after one day then the deck stays beautiful for about 4 months. I apply teak oil once in awhile in between sandings and sealings.

I always sand my deck with 2 to 3 different grits of sandpaper depending on scratches. I use a palm sander.

I apply the teak sealer with a rag so, I guess I'm wiping off the excess as I brush it on. I let it dry for a couple of days and the deck is a little slimy the first day on the water but, that will wear off after one day then the deck stays beautiful for about 4 months. I apply teak oil once in awhile in between sandings and sealings.

OK sounds like I just need to give it a chance then. I put it on with a foam brush so I'm sure my coats are way thicker than a rag application. That might explain the waxy feel. I'll wipe it down good with a rag, coat the top and give it a try next spring. I would like to use something that will get me through most of the season so that sounds pretty good. I'll try to post some pics once it's all done.

Well wiping the platform down and letting it dry another day worked great. The platform looks great and I did the same on the top as the bottom (applied with foam brush, let dry overnight, wipe waxiness with a rag until dry). I think it turned out great. Hopefully it will hold up next season. Here's a few pics.....

Teak1-800.jpg

Teak3-800.jpg

Teak5-800.jpg

Looks good. I'm telling ya, I love this Starbright stuff.

I think I'm gonna be right there with ya. It sure makes this 20 year old deck look really nice. From what you said, I think it should last pretty well next season. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks!

I think I'm gonna be right there with ya. It sure makes this 20 year old deck look really nice. From what you said, I think it should last pretty well next season. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks!

If you can keep it covered when your not using it, it will last all season w/o a problem. Any product with a decent amount of toungue oil will preserve your deck well. The sun is the harshest thing for wood finishes so keep it covered.

If you can keep it covered when your not using it, it will last all season w/o a problem. Any product with a decent amount of toungue oil will preserve your deck well. The sun is the harshest thing for wood finishes so keep it covered.

Cool, that should't be an issue. The only time it will see sun it when we have it out on the lake, or behind the truck. It lives in the garage during the summer months and is stored undrground in the winter.