Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for 23 LSV

Ive done alot of searching on this topic and thought I would throw this out there to see if Im on the right track.

I have a 2008 23 LSV with the Acme 537 prop. While this prop does fine with 4 people in the boat, it doesnt seem to come out of the hole very well when we had 9 in there, wedge down and full ballast. It really didnt do all that well with 4 people and same wedge and ballast. So Im wanting to get a prop better suited for loaded down applications and use my 537 as a spare. We usually have 8 to 10 with us, but sometimes its just 4 of us and if its that big of a difference I can always change back to the 537.

Props Ive read people use are the Acme 1235, the OJ 475 and OJ 468. Any others I should consider?

Are there any clearance issues with any of these? I would like a better hole shot and not really worried about top end. Rarely if ever do I do WOT, so not too worried about hitting the rev limiter. We wakeboard and a couple people ski on 2 skis, but no courses or anything like that and this spring we plan on trying out surfing. I also downloaded the chart on here, but didnt see any info for 08 23 LSVs. Would like opinions and experiences please.

Also, I read about group buys on props, when does this usually come around?

Thanks

The acme 1235 is a really good and popular prop that our customers upgrade too, it offers a lot of torque but it does take off 5-10 MPH from your top end (which most people don't care about it) I can't recommend OJ props.

1235 would be my recommendation, no complaints or clearance issues from a lot of our customers that use it.

-Paul

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski
The acme 1235 is a really good and popular prop that our customers upgrade too, it offers a lot of torque but it does take off 5-10 MPH from your top end (which most people don't care about it) I can't recommend OJ props.

1235 would be my recommendation, no complaints or clearance issues from a lot of our customers that use it.

-Paul

The problem people have with clearance on the props you picked is with the Trailer and you need to make sure you test it out when the boat is on the Trailer. I have heard and seen people who have put a brand new prop on the boat when its sitting on a boat lift, then load it up on the trailer only to damage both the trailer and prop.

I have ran all 3 props and will give a report later when I have time, but I have to get back to work right now.

-Paul

The problem people have with clearance on the props you picked is with the Trailer and you need to make sure you test it out when the boat is on the Trailer. I have heard and seen people who have put a brand new prop on the boat when its sitting on a boat lift, then load it up on the trailer only to damage both the trailer and prop.

I have ran all 3 props and will give a report later when I have time, but I have to get back to work right now.

I have also heard and read of similar clearance issues, but wasnt sure if any of them were for the 08 LSV 23. I would be putting the prop on while it sits on my trailer, so I would know if it has issues, but I would like to avoid even that if possible. I appreciate the comments so far and look forward to what you have to say later on the 3 props. Im not in a big hurry to get a prop and will do more research, yeah Im one of those big search tool users.

Still waiting to see if and when there is a group buy sometime on props.

-Paul

No problems with clearance issues with Ryan or Extreme Trailers.

All though I would say that 90% of our customers damage their prop on their trailer or boat lift. But that is from putting the trailer in too deep in the water.

Going to a bigger prop (like the 1235) You are only adding a inch of diameter to the prop (13.5 to 14.5) With our Ryan trailers you have 6 inches of clearance to the prop guard (with a 537 - 13.5 x 16) so there is plenty of room for a larger diameter prop.

Hope this helps

-Paul

No problems with clearance issues with Ryan or Extreme Trailers.

All though I would say that 90% of our customers damage their prop on their trailer or boat lift. But that is from putting the trailer in too deep in the water.

Going to a bigger prop (like the 1235) You are only adding a inch of diameter to the prop (13.5 to 14.5) With our Ryan trailers you have 6 inches of clearance to the prop guard (with a 537 - 13.5 x 16) so there is plenty of room for a larger diameter prop.

Hope this helps

-Paul

Thanks for the info Paul, I have an Extreme trailer, so that is good to know.

I have an 02 LSV23 with the diamond hull. I switched to the 1235 and it made a great improvement with the boat loaded. Definitely dropped the top end, but we don't do much racing, we do a lot more surfing. With the boat fully loaded for surfing the boat has had no problem. For wakeboarding the holeshot has been fine.I keep my boat on a lift so no issue with clearance. Good luck.

Greg, still working? Would love to see what you have to say about the three. :)

I have a dinged Acme 1235 that was on my 2007 23LSV I would sell for $250.00 if you are interested. Acme will fix it for 120-130 plus the shipping, total about $400 compared to 580 new. I sold the boat so I don't need it anymore. I can send pictures if you are interested. The prop works way better than the 537 and holds speed better.

Edited by justincox28