Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06" Vride

Ndawg12

06' Vride 340 monsoon w/ 320hrs

Regulars in this forum may recoginize that I just bought this boat and have been asking many questions before I even had possession of it. Now that I have it, I am finding different issues everyday. They might explain the extremely low price I paid. Hopefully by the end of this topic I am still happy with my purchase but I don't want anyone to sugarcoat their answer or opinions.

I'll start out with 2 questions:

1) There are "accordian" type hoses (2.5 or 3 inch) on both starboard side and port side. The starboard side mounting plate is stripped out and the hose was tucked behind the subwoofer. The passenger side is in rough shape, it appears that a repair attempt with electrical tape was made but it's mostly unraveled down to the floor. I can see that those hoses each run to a vent to the bow. What is the point and how vital is it that I get both working properly?

2) All the chrome pieces in this boat have bubbled up. I heard it was a bad chrome billet job and I've heard a couple other opinions as to why I have this problem.

That's all for now, thanks for the opinions/info!!

Thanks

nemire hopefully we can get some responses for you...

Unfortunately, I have not seen these accordian style hoses you are talking about that run to the bow. The only thing i can think of off hand is that these are possibly duct work for the heater? does your boat have the heater option? try flipping that on and see if heat comes out them. I'm guessing that is what they are. There is really nothing crucial up there in terms of things those hoses could be carrying, so i doubt its a big deal. obviously your fuel, exhaust, raw water, and transmission hoses are all back in the engine area, and don't travel any further forward than the rear bench seat.

I'm not sure I've seen bubbled chrome. I can't picture what you mean here. Not corroded??

If you have the boat, the most helpful thing you could do would be to snap some pictures, then post them so we can see what issues you are talking about more clearly.

Good luck, I'm sure you will love the V-Ride. BTW, make sure you transfer the warranty from the previous owner. A 2006 should still have a full warranty that covers everything on the boat. Just take it to the dealer and have them fix these issues.

TJ

2007 V-Ride owner.

But what are they venting and which way is the airflowing? They are connected to a hole in the bottom of the dash, one on each side (port and starboard) and are channeled to a slot just above the bow seatbacks.

I know I'm taking a huge risk but I'm not getting the warranty transferred. The hassle plus the $ plus short time remaining on warranty make it not worth it for me.

The chrome is not that big of a deal, just wondered if anyone had heard anything else on it.

Here's another question:

3) I have a 15" Polk Momo sub and it appears this may have been a factory install. It's mounted on a carpeted board that perfectly fits the contours under the driver console but it's not enclosed. It looks like a nice and clean install but it doesn't sound good at all. Anyone seen this? Do I have room to enclose this box?

Thanks

post-8316-1228240574_thumb.jpg

Edited by nemire12

The vent hoses take air from the front of the boat when you are moving and force the air into the Fibecs stringers that eventually lead into the engine compartment and out the back of the boat in order to ventilate the engine box. If you are using the blower it's going to suck the air through there anyway even if the hoses aren't connected.

If you're replacing them just connect them on top and stuff them in the hole in the deck of the boat (I don't think there's a plate in the deck).

The sub should be enclosed, if it's not I don't think it was a factory install. I know I didn't have room for the pre-fab box that I bought and I had to build a new foot plate to account for additional space required. this may have been why they didn't enclose the sub. You could build a box that would fit and keep the same foot plate, or get a pre-fabricated sub box and most likely will have to create a new foot plate further out.

Don't know about the chrome, sorry.

Edited by CedarLakeSkier
both things are easy fixes, and yes they are vent hoses. just replace them...

Nemire, if you sit in the bow of the boat, in front of the driver turn and look under the windshield. you will see a cut uot about 8" x 3". The black hose mounts at that spot under the dash. it allows air into the motor box when the boat is moving.

The chrome is not that big of a deal, just wondered if anyone had heard anything else on it.

I have an 06 VLX with the Chrome pitting. I've seen this on a couple of other boats around the same year. It sounds like a problem with Malibu's parts.

I know I didn't have room for the pre-fab box that I bought and I had to build a new foot plate to account for additional space required.

Do you have a picture of the box you made? I have my box behind the observer's seat and it's taking up a lot of room that I would like to reclaim.

I know I didn't have room for the pre-fab box that I bought and I had to build a new foot plate to account for additional space required.

Do you have a picture of the box you made? I have my box behind the observer's seat and it's taking up a lot of room that I would like to reclaim.

Jimmypooh,

I didn't make the box, I bought a Que Logic box that was the right size for the sub. What I made was a new footplate since the box pushed the footplate a couple inches torward the driver seat. This thread has a picture of the sub, but not the footplate.

Stereo thread with pics of my sub

Foiler1, thats how I meant to explain the location, thanks. They don't sound critical so I'll get to them some day.

I'm not transferring the warranty so I don't know that any dealer will warranty it for me. It's really not that bad yet, but I guess I'll have to deal with it when I want it fixed, any suggestions? Someone suggested just have them sandblasted, anyone done this, how does it look?

I saw someone say that in 06' a Sony head unit was an upgrade. I have the Sony CDX-M50IP. Is that what Malibu used for the upgrade?

Question #4

Is it weird that I didn't get a manual for the boat or the trailer(or any trailer components)? The dealer said he didn't have anything but I could buy a Malibu manual online and that the same manual covers all most all the models for that year. What are your thoughts on all this?

Question #5

I have the Titan III tower, and I'm not sure how to fold the tower (the non-malibu dealer never figured it out either). It as 2 knobs on each side and I imagine it seperates at those spots. I could probably figure it out, but if someone has some input how seperate and fold this tower, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again in advance.

post-8316-1228271730_thumb.jpg

post-8316-1228271883_thumb.jpg

Edited by nemire12

I have the same tower as you. Above the knobs you will feel a metal slider. You will want to slide each one toward the back of the boat at the same time turn the knobs. The knobs will loosen and hand down about two inches. After you have loosend each side you will want to hold the front and the back of the tower. Lay the back of the tower onto the engine compartment of your boat and then carefully lower the front of the tower so that it lays on the windshield. Malibu has cushions that should be on the front part of the tower. Position those cushions so that they are between the tower and the windshield.

I have the same tower as you. Above the knobs you will feel a metal slider. You will want to slide each one toward the back of the boat at the same time turn the knobs. The knobs will loosen and hand down about two inches. After you have loosend each side you will want to hold the front and the back of the tower. Lay the back of the tower onto the engine compartment of your boat and then carefully lower the front of the tower so that it lays on the windshield. Malibu has cushions that should be on the front part of the tower. Position those cushions so that they are between the tower and the windshield.

Excellent, I wondered how the combination of the knob and that slider worked, wasn't sure if I was holding my tongue right! I wondered why someone put wristbands on the tower! I guess that's where it should hit the windshield.

Thanks for that info.

You really should replace the ventilation hoses as they provide clean cooler air to your engine. This will increase engine efficiency as well as assist with ventilating any harmful gases out of the engine compartment should you develop a leak of some. Gook luck with your new boat.