Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What Would You Guys Do?

bimmerboy08

Hey everyone, I have an issue I'm struggling with and am just wondering what you guys would do...Heres the story:

I used to park my boat+trailer on a 25mph street in a spot which I thought was very safe. The street is fairly wide (3 paving machine widths) and due to the housing market slowing down there was no house built behind where i parked the boat. I honestly thought it was the best option because it was in front of noone's house and on a wide, slow street. Well one day after going on the lake i come back to find my wheel chocks gone, you know the things you place in front of the wheels to keep the trailer from moving. i thought it was weird but just found some new ones and put the boat away. The next time I go there there is a note on my trailer saying that the road isn't my private parking spot, threatening lawsuit, and saying that the police have been contacted. I immediately moved the boat around the corner to the front of my house.

Heres the problem--the note was unsigned, so I don't have anyone to contact and reason with. I know I wasn't breaking any laws or bylaws, but the lawsuit threats and police involvement threats left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm now considering just getting some indoor storage near the lake, but part of me wants to just leave the boat where it was because I wasn't actually breaking any laws.

What do you guys think I should do? The letter sounded like it was written in a rage. I'm concerned if I don't get my boat somewhere away from this crazy person they will vandalize it, since (I assume) they took to stealing my chocks while I was on the lake, they must be fairly childish. Aah I'm at a loss. Help please!

if they want a lawsuit, they stole your chocks, which is against the law. but, you are parking in front of a lot that is not yours. the worst thing that could happen is that you leave your boat there again and the vandilize it. so, i would not put it back there. i would move it.

You might want to check the local laws, because you may not be able to leave the trailer on the street. Several cities have ordinances regarding 'non-moving' vehicles being parked, and afer a certain number of days the vehicle can be towed. The laws are seldom enforced, but usually when they are it if for a non-running vehicle someone is jst leaving on the street, or an RV / Boat / Camper that takes a lot of space.

In Indiana, you can even report a non-running vehicle arked in a driveway if it sits over 30 days. i think it is a nisance law. These are not heighbor association covenants, they are city-wide ordinances.

It might also make a difference if it is in front of your house, or someone elses' lot.

Either way, i would invest in some secure storage.

if it was me i would park it back there to see what they do. if they vandalize it then that is why ywe have insurance. plus if they have a lawsuit on you then you will know who it is and you can bust them for theft and or vandalizim. as far as a city ordinance if it was from the city then there should be the city logo or some kind of info on the note.

But, everyone has there own way of handling things

Edited by joey_durgin

If you realy wanna be mean find the owner of the lot and offer him 50 bucks to park there untill he builds. Im a contractor and do it all the time. I just make it very clear that you will be givin 48 hrs notice to move it or I will move it. I have never had a problem and its cash in my pocket. now you can park your boat there legaly and piss the chalk stealing note writing guy off.

Edited by liljohn

Ask Dave where he parks his 205. It's indoor & doesn't get vandalized...... although I guess he's had a problem with roaches.

Scrappin with the neighbors is going to get your boat messed up or you in trouble.

You guys are confirming what I was thinking--getting safe indoor storage. Although I was pretty upset at the note and wish I knew who it was I really don't want to take the chance of anything happening to my 'Bu. I love that thing haha.

Ask Dave where he parks his 205. It's indoor & doesn't get vandalized...... although I guess he's had a problem with roaches.

Scrappin with the neighbors is going to get your boat messed up or you in trouble.

DITTO! Plus1.gif

You guys are confirming what I was thinking--getting safe indoor storage. Although I was pretty upset at the note and wish I knew who it was I really don't want to take the chance of anything happening to my 'Bu. I love that thing haha.

the note did sound somewhat threatening and would make me want to move it for sure. If there is any truth to the note you could check with the local police to see if a complaint had been laid and possibly find out who wrote the note that way. Take the note with you to the police and get their opinion, at the least they will send a patrol car thru the neighborhood a few times.

I actually just got off the phone with the Del Rio PD, and they said I was completely fine parking it there as long as I wasn't blocking a fire hydrant or anything. They actually laughed about the note and said it was rediculous. I'm still leaning towards getting some indoor storage, lest this psycho runs a key down my poor boat.

Jeez, why would you bring up roaches...... thats just one more thing for me to worry about this winter! Ive already circled the boat with sticky traps, poison blocks and pellets for safety if I mouse were to get in the shop, now i gotta worry about roaches too..... great! Haha I'm tired of worrying and its not even a quarter of the way through winter....

I would look for an inexpensive place to store your boat that is secure. During the winter months our county rents indoor space at the Deschutes County Fairgrounds, cheap.

Or if you have one lake that is the one you use 90% of the time look for storage near there. Rates are often cheaper than what you find in a residential area.

I actually just got off the phone with the Del Rio PD, and they said I was completely fine parking it there as long as I wasn't blocking a fire hydrant or anything. They actually laughed about the note and said it was rediculous. I'm still leaning towards getting some indoor storage, lest this psycho runs a key down my poor boat.

I would leave it parked there with a note saying "The police dept. has been contacted and there is now hidden camera surveillance on my personal property"

Why don't you park it in front of your house instead?

I would leave it parked there with a note saying "The police dept. has been contacted and there is now hidden camera surveillance on my personal property"

well, right now it is in front of my house temporarily, but I think it is a dangerous spot b/c the road is only 2 paving machine widths, and I live on the corner so I am worried someone taking a turn too fast will end up running into the boat. Maybe I am a little too paranoid.

I did think of buying a little faux camera and putting it on the boat though, esp. since I got the okay from the police now. We shall see...

well, right now it is in front of my house temporarily, but I think it is a dangerous spot b/c the road is only 2 paving machine widths, and I live on the corner so I am worried someone taking a turn too fast will end up running into the boat. Maybe I am a little too paranoid.

I did think of buying a little faux camera and putting it on the boat though, esp. since I got the okay from the police now. We shall see...

Or on the roof of your house facing towards the boat, and you really could put a recorder to see who is coming around if you really are that paranoid about it :)

If your going with a camera, check this out.

Still might be a PITA even if you get photos. I can the headlines now..... AIR FORCE BRAWLS WITH LOCALS OVER BOAT.

Maybe ask the police what they can do if you provide a photo of the person in the act of abusing your boat. Of course, by then the damage has already been done.

Why don't you want the boat parked in front of your house? (most likely the same reason your neighbor wants your boat elsewhere...) I've had plenty of neighbor disputes (not over my stuff...) and they usually end with someone having a snubbed nose.

Personally I'd not want my boat that vulnerable to theft and/or vandalism. I'd find a spot to keep it that is not on the street.

Good luck!

Pat

Hey everyone, I have an issue I'm struggling with and am just wondering what you guys would do...Heres the story:

I used to park my boat+trailer on a 25mph street in a spot which I thought was very safe. The street is fairly wide (3 paving machine widths) and due to the housing market slowing down there was no house built behind where i parked the boat. I honestly thought it was the best option because it was in front of noone's house and on a wide, slow street. Well one day after going on the lake i come back to find my wheel chocks gone, you know the things you place in front of the wheels to keep the trailer from moving. i thought it was weird but just found some new ones and put the boat away. The next time I go there there is a note on my trailer saying that the road isn't my private parking spot, threatening lawsuit, and saying that the police have been contacted. I immediately moved the boat around the corner to the front of my house.

Heres the problem--the note was unsigned, so I don't have anyone to contact and reason with. I know I wasn't breaking any laws or bylaws, but the lawsuit threats and police involvement threats left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm now considering just getting some indoor storage near the lake, but part of me wants to just leave the boat where it was because I wasn't actually breaking any laws.

What do you guys think I should do? The letter sounded like it was written in a rage. I'm concerned if I don't get my boat somewhere away from this crazy person they will vandalize it, since (I assume) they took to stealing my chocks while I was on the lake, they must be fairly childish. Aah I'm at a loss. Help please!

Get it off the street, your just inviting a problem.

You might want to check the local laws, because you may not be able to leave the trailer on the street. Several cities have ordinances regarding 'non-moving' vehicles being parked, and afer a certain number of days the vehicle can be towed. The laws are seldom enforced, but usually when they are it if for a non-running vehicle someone is jst leaving on the street, or an RV / Boat / Camper that takes a lot of space.

In Indiana, you can even report a non-running vehicle arked in a driveway if it sits over 30 days. i think it is a nisance law. These are not heighbor association covenants, they are city-wide ordinances.

It might also make a difference if it is in front of your house, or someone elses' lot.

Either way, i would invest in some secure storage.

Unless you live in a HOA your CCR's at least none that I have read have any discussion regarding vehicles. CCR's themselves require a homeowner to sue another in civil court, again just move the boat to avoid a problem. Most communities do have a 72 hour parking law on the public right-of-way so you'd have to move it to avoid a ticket. A ticket would probably be issued only if the neighbor is watching. A non-op vehicle wouldn’t necessarily apply to a boat in the driveway if it’s licensed and registered unless specifically stated.

if it was me i would park it back there to see what they do. if they vandalize it then that is why ywe have insurance. plus if they have a lawsuit on you then you will know who it is and you can bust them for theft and or vandalizim. as far as a city ordinance if it was from the city then there should be the city logo or some kind of info on the note.

But, everyone has there own way of handling things

You're taking a chance you may never know who vandalized it. While we have insurance it's for things that may happened, not knowledge that we might put our possessions in harms way. This only creates another claim, possibly, and adds to premium costs.

If you realy wanna be mean find the owner of the lot and offer him 50 bucks to park there untill he builds. Im a contractor and do it all the time. I just make it very clear that you will be givin 48 hrs notice to move it or I will move it. I have never had a problem and its cash in my pocket. now you can park your boat there legaly and piss the chalk stealing note writing guy off.

Some local ordinances do require that vehicles stored on site including RV's are behind a non-opaque fencing, otherwise not a bad idea just not secure as in garage or storage facility.

the note did sound somewhat threatening and would make me want to move it for sure. If there is any truth to the note you could check with the local police to see if a complaint had been laid and possibly find out who wrote the note that way. Take the note with you to the police and get their opinion, at the least they will send a patrol car thru the neighborhood a few times.

The police department won’t release the complainant information unless this ended up in court and all information including the complaint information was requested.

Still might be a PITA even if you get photos. I can the headlines now..... AIR FORCE BRAWLS WITH LOCALS OVER BOAT.

that would be bad. I want to avoid that ha.

Why don't you want the boat parked in front of your house? (most likely the same reason your neighbor wants your boat elsewhere...) I've had plenty of neighbor disputes (not over my stuff...) and they usually end with someone having a snubbed nose.

like i said in an earlier post, the road is more narrow and I live on a corner, so I feel it is more dangerous. Trust me nothing would make me happier than seeing my boat every time i look out my window.

The more people reply the more I feel that safe, covered storage is the best option, and in the long run the cheapest. The only thing bothering me now is some spineless jerk gets his way from writing a nasty, unsigned note full of hollow threats. Hopefully karma gets this guy, because he's clearly gotten his way this time through what I feel is a less than optimal means.

Just take the higher road. No need to getting into a pissing match, at the end of the day, all that is going to happen is he is going to vandalize your boat. Its not worth it.

Unsigned anonymous BS! For anyone that does that for whatever reason, they are a coward. Instead of someone knocking on your front door and having a good 2-way conversation, they take your stuff and leave threatening unsigned letters. Bet you have a trouble maker in your community that is a crap stirrer and probably someone you know that is nice to you in person.

I would not risk getting my boat damaged though or getting into a scuffle if there is an easy fix. But if you do park it outside you can buy one of those photo eye still cameras that are built for the outside and mount it somewhere close to the boat, or on the boat or trailer. It takes pictures anytime there is movement, even in the dark. We use those for scouting hunting land.

There are always two sides to every story, but in this case they waived their right to their story by leaving an anonymous letter.

Best of luck.

that would be bad. I want to avoid that ha.

like i said in an earlier post, the road is more narrow and I live on a corner, so I feel it is more dangerous. Trust me nothing would make me happier than seeing my boat every time i look out my window.

The more people reply the more I feel that safe, covered storage is the best option, and in the long run the cheapest. The only thing bothering me now is some spineless jerk gets his way from writing a nasty, unsigned note full of hollow threats. Hopefully karma gets this guy, because he's clearly gotten his way this time through what I feel is a less than optimal means.

Dude these types of people are everywhere, even though I'm a boat/RV owner I wouldn't want to look at it or other rec vehicles, everyday (storage) on the street either though I wouldn't make an issue of it. I went through the expense of moving so my toys could be off the street.

2 houses ago, neighbor across street bought RV, parked it on street in front of his house (legal). I didn't like looking at it every day for lots of reasons. Of course a conversation is better than the unsigned threat, but you have to be able to see the world through other's eyes. Someone didn't like looking at your boat parked there, understandable, legal or not.

As stated elsewhere, if you can afford a nice boat, you can afford a proper place to keep it.

Edited by SKI LVR