Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 hammerhead overheating

i have a new 23lsv wakesetter with the new 08 hammerhead with ext cats and full fresh water cooling .The motor has only done about 10 hrs and overheats and blows hoses off the ext manofolds ,it cracked the plastic gann elbows which were repaced with brass ones and better quility hoses but the moter still gets hot enough to blow steam by the new brass elbows.temp runs at 165/170 at 3000rpm 170 /180 at 4000 rpm and went to 190 at wot then dropped rapid down to 175 at the coolant was lost .

has anybody had problems with the new hammer head as far as overheating at wot (full noise)?

thanks ez

this is our 6th bu and engine was broken in as per indmar handbook,boat is back at dealer for the fourth time ,i think the cooling system is under done now for the new demand from the higher performance moter that is now running coolant in exhaust manifolds and the extra heat genrated from the ext cats.

i was wondering if anybody else had had this problem?

Ask your dealer about the recall. Something to do with 08 exhaust and CATS.

EDIT: Perhaps service bulletin is a better description than recall. Here is some info:

"Here is some important information for owners of 2008 model

Monsoon and Hammerhead engines. Indmar issued a service

bulletin to the Malibu dealers asking them to inspect the

exhaust elbows on a group of 2008 model Monsoon and

Hammerhead engines starting with engine serial number 144156

and ending with serial number 146758. Some of the engines in

this group may have been built with exhaust elbows that have

restricted water passages that will not allow sufficient

water flow to cool the exhaust hoses adequately."

Edited by VinRLX
Ask your dealer about the recall. Something to do with 08 exhaust and CATS.

EDIT: Perhaps service bulletin is a better description than recall. Here is some info:

"Here is some important information for owners of 2008 model

Monsoon and Hammerhead engines. Indmar issued a service

bulletin to the Malibu dealers asking them to inspect the

exhaust elbows on a group of 2008 model Monsoon and

Hammerhead engines starting with engine serial number 144156

and ending with serial number 146758. Some of the engines in

this group may have been built with exhaust elbows that have

restricted water passages that will not allow sufficient

water flow to cool the exhaust hoses adequately."

the dealer has aready replaced the exhaust elbows at 5hr after a engine falt code was coming up, the hoses that are the problem are the one inch id pair that run from the top off the exhaust manifold.The engine only gets to hot at the higher end of the rev range between 4000 and 5200 rpm.

It's going to be hard to get a good answer out of anyone because you have the closed cooling system, I would think the number of bu owners with a similar setup are fairly few and far between.

The dealer needs to check for air in the coolant, proper water flow to the heat exchanger, etc.

-Chris

I have an '06 LSV w/HH and the close-cooled system. We had an overheat situation within the first 15 hours while following the break in by the book. They identified an issue with the flow rate in the close-cooled system and had to increase the flow rate of the coolant. They called Indmar directly and worked up this solution and fixed it up and it has run flawlessly for 294 hours since. Not sure this is your problem, but it might help you out. Best of luck, if you require any more specific info, I can pull the work order/paperwork.

Cheers-

thanks for the replies guys, went out today with the dealer rep and dupulcated how the problem happens with him in the boat .

same thing gets very hot at higher rev range . Ran her up to 3000rpm and the about 5lt of coolant was ejected from the system ,looked like the plastic coolant overflow colector was going to burst.they have isolated the heater and reduced flow (raw water) to the dripless shaft seal but the manifold still get super hot (cracking and poping noises that are ver loud ) my dealer is doing all they can with instruction from malibu (australia/usa) and idmar but now have no idea apart from blockage in engineblock,manifold or maybe the green water pump is cactis ,but if there were blockage or flow issues wy does it not get hot at low revs as the flow rate is dimmished from lower rpm????????

loved my 06 HH just want the new one to go as good,(sorry about the rant we really do love our new 23 wakesetter but just want her to go ,12.6hrs and only a 15min skyski)

Have your dealer give me a call. I am sure I can help him resolve your problem.

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service

Indmar Marine Engines

thanks for the replies guys, went out today with the dealer rep and dupulcated how the problem happens with him in the boat .

same thing gets very hot at higher rev range . Ran her up to 3000rpm and the about 5lt of coolant was ejected from the system ,looked like the plastic coolant overflow colector was going to burst.they have isolated the heater and reduced flow (raw water) to the dripless shaft seal but the manifold still get super hot (cracking and poping noises that are ver loud ) my dealer is doing all they can with instruction from malibu (australia/usa) and idmar but now have no idea apart from blockage in engineblock,manifold or maybe the green water pump is cactis ,but if there were blockage or flow issues wy does it not get hot at low revs as the flow rate is dimmished from lower rpm????????

loved my 06 HH just want the new one to go as good,(sorry about the rant we really do love our new 23 wakesetter but just want her to go ,12.6hrs and only a 15min skyski)

• 4 years later...