Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate trailer

Tedro

Recently purchased a new Malibu and my salesman did not give me an owners manuel for the Boatmate trailer.

He stated that they usually did not get them so did not pass them along.

This does not sound correct. My other boats always came with owner's manuals for their trailers.

It is a tandem axel with swing tongue. I would think it would be very helpful for maintenance, spec, etc.

I tried to go online and download a PDF but could not find one on their site.

Did those of you with Boatmates receive an owner's manual?

Recently purchased a new Malibu and my salesman did not give me an owners manuel for the Boatmate trailer.

This does not sound correct. My other boats always came with owner's manuals for their trailers.

It is a tandem axel with swing tongue. I would think it would be very helpful for maintenance, spec, etc.

I have a boatmate... great trailer!! and yes I did get a manual with it.

I did not get a manual for the trailer, but received manuals on the brake actuator, brakes, and tongue jack. The brakes and actuator are made by Unique Functional Products (UFP) and they have info online.

edit, I also have the T/A trailer and have had to replace at least one axle seal annually. I have the wet axles.

Edited by electricjohn
I did not get a manual for the trailer, but received manuals on the brake actuator, brakes, and tongue jack. The brakes and actuator are made by Unique Functional Products (UFP) and they have info online.

edit, I also have the T/A trailer and have had to replace at least one axle seal annually. I have the wet axles.

What do you mean wet axles?

How far do you trailer?

Why do you think you go through so many?

By wet axles he means the oil bath axles I am guessing. NO grease, just a clear cap with oil filled hubs. They work great when they dont leak.

yea, I have a boatmate also only the individual parts have manuals. I too have the oil bath and thought it was going to be an upgrade front the grease barrings I had on my other boatmate (grease always puked out going down a long hill) But now I wish I had them back my garage floor is ruended because of the leaking seals. Twice I have been honked at twice because of smoke coming from the wheels. So now I carry a qt of 50 wt oil.

Are you folks sure the seals are leaking ? I thought the same thing on an 05 boatmate trailer, found the problem to be leaking around the allen plug where you add the hub oil. I had to remove all four plugs add a little piece of teflon tape and reinstall. I have had to do this to three trailers an 05 ,07 and an 08.

Are you folks sure the seals are leaking ? I thought the same thing on an 05 boatmate trailer, found the problem to be leaking around the allen plug where you add the hub oil. I had to remove all four plugs add a little piece of teflon tape and reinstall. I have had to do this to three trailers an 05 ,07 and an 08.

How do you maintenance these?

What oil do you use?

I have a boatmate... great trailer!! and yes I did get a manual with it.

Was it an overall manual for the trailer?

How far do you trailer?

Yes, oil filled hubs.

About 1000 miles/year, but I do not think the miles have anything to do with the leakage. It is the binding of the tandem axles when making a very sharp turn or backing up at shart angles. Just my guess though.

Edited by electricjohn

How do you maintenance these?

What oil do you use?

I change the oil in the hubs every two years or immediately if water infiltrates a hub (the window on the hub turns yellow instead of brown), which also includes changing the inner seal.

Any 50 wieght oil

I too use teflon tape on the drain/fill plugs. I do put the plugs in tight, but not overtight, as I do not want to strip out the threads in the hubs. Never really saw any evidence of the plugs leaking.

My leaking problem involves water getting into the hub more than oil getting out, but there is evidence of oil on the inside of the wheels when I have problems. No major failures yet.

i also thought i had a hub leaking one time. mine turned out to be leaking around the allen screw also. tightened it down and no further issues

How far do you trailer?

Yes, oil filled hubs.

About 1000 miles/year, but I do not think the miles have anything to do with the leakage. It is the binding of the tandem axles when making a very sharp turn or backing up at shart angles. Just my guess though.

It is not just tandem trailers with issues. I had one replaced this year on a new trailer with 2K in miles on a SA trailer. Was not coming out from allen screw.