Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 23lsv with a monsoon...

Eyekahn

There is a couple 23lsv's I am looking at with the monsoon. My question is does this motor ever feel under powered for this boat? Iam going to put alot of weight in the boat and re prop it, about 3.5-4k and a 1235 prop. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? I ride behind my friends vlx with about 4k and the monsoon with the 1235 and it planes off fine. Ive heard negative things about the hammerhead using a ton of oil and the 8.1 not being offered anymore this looks like th motor I would need. Any advise would be appreciated.

Where are you located?

I'm at sea level and have never had a problem planing at sea level. At elevation though, you'll have issues with that much weight.

I'd recommend the HH. My next 23LSV will have one. It's a big boat.

There is a couple 23lsv's I am looking at with the monsoon. My question is does this motor ever feel under powered for this boat? Iam going to put alot of weight in the boat and re prop it, about 3.5-4k and a 1235 prop. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? I ride behind my friends vlx with about 4k and the monsoon with the 1235 and it planes off fine. Ive heard negative things about the hammerhead using a ton of oil and the 8.1 not being offered anymore this looks like th motor I would need. Any advise would be appreciated.

stock will def feel underpowered! I am in Indiana, not sure the elevation but I have the 1235 and its awesome.... with 14 people, all the gear and coolers it wasnt bad at all. Cut that to 10 peeps with gear and its great!

I have a 23LSV with the Hammerhead. I have had 12 people in the boat and the power of the hammerhead came in real handy. I am really glad I decided to get the upgrade. If I were to do it again, I would definately order the Hammerhead again.

stock will def feel underpowered! I am in Indiana, not sure the elevation but I have the 1235 and its awesome.... with 14 people, all the gear and coolers it wasnt bad at all. Cut that to 10 peeps with gear and its great!

I have an 08 23LSV/Hammerhead/1235 prop, and I feel that the extra power has really helped. When we load the boat down with full ballast, 3 750's, 600 lbs in pop bags AND people.....that's when I'm really glad I have the HH.

The monsoon is definitely more of a quiet motor....the HH has a grumpy feel to it....not loud but you can feel it a bit. Everyone that gets in the boat actually likes the feel/sound of the motor, and it's smooth and not loud at wake speeds.

As far as oil consumption goes....it does burn more than boats/motors I've owned in the past, but it's not out of control. I typically keep a quart of oil on the boat at all times just in case. I check the fluid levels every other time I go out, and I recommend you do the same if you go with the HH. It hasn't burned much since I passed 25 hours or so.

I'd recommend that you take a ride in both before you buy if possible.

Edited by atxfletch

My 08 LSV HH 1235 set up has all the low end pulling power anyone could ask for. 130 hours.....................oil changed three times............no oil added between changes. This is my second HH. The first one, a 2004, went 850 hours without any oil problems. It was serviced 'by the book', but no extraordinary measures were taken. I sold the 2004 to a certified Indmar tech who came equipped with a laptop, compression guage, and his own oil pressure guage. He tested, poked, and prodded, and could not find any problems..........oil or otherwise. I have heard the HH oil pressure stories, but not experienced it.

The 2008 was a bit slow on the holeshot with the stock prop. (with factory ballast and wedge) Based on that, I would not buy a LSV with a Monsoon if the primary purpose is wakeboarding. With the HH, you may not even be aware of the slow holeshot until you switch over to the 1235 and see what a good holeshot is supposed to feel like. The LSV/HH/1235 is an awesome combo.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2005 LSV with Monsoon 340 rips it up. No underpowered feeling at all. Surfs well, wakeboards with lots of weight and wedge down....no prob. Engine is very solid. 1235 prop I think - it's an ACME 13.5 X16

I guess I have alot to learn. My 340hp monsoon sat me back in my seat with 3 in the boat and stock factory ballast full.

You have a boat that weighs a lot less that also has a lot less surface area to push through the water. The same engine in a bigger, heavier boat=lower power to weight ratio. Don't sweat it, this is a different discussion about a completely different boat.

On a side note ... I noticed most posters in this tread had the same Avatar ... is this a default Avatar if you don't have one ... or is this just chance? Seems like I remember Tracie saying she was going to work on the site over the holiday???????????