Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI Drivers Seat Modification

LXI Silver

Anyone ever modified the drivers seat in an LXI to raise it up. I have a 2007 and would like to raise it 4" or so, so that with the fold up seat down I am not sitting on the floor. I was thinking about a 4" piece of aluminum or plastic block with longer seat bolts. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I too find the seat too low for my liking. I spent most of the summer w/ 3 throw cushions on top of the base cushion. The boat is away for the winter, but I added the flip up bolster option before storing it. I'm sure I will be much happier.

A thought... I had considered increasing the height by simply getting 4 longer bolts, and adding a pipe nipple (of desired height increase) to each of them. They are < $2 apiece at local hardware store or homedepot. This would be a cheap fix. You probably want to experiment a little first (add a phone book, etc) just to make sure that you don't increase it to such a height that the windshield frame is directly in your line of view.

Good Luck

Edited by davemac

You know, it's too bad there isn't an adjustment for height on these seats. Yeah, I know it would be one more thing, but just think about all the complaints that have been voiced about seat height since the RLXi was released in 03. When you consider the vast height range of people driving the boats, from the 5' wife to the 6'2" husband, it seems it would be very useful. Yes, I know the bolster is there, but who wants to sit on that the entire time they drive the boat?

My seat is slightly higher than my ski partner's--both 08 RLXis. His was early production, mine was a few months later. For a short guy like me, it makes driving mine much more comfortable.

You know, it's too bad there isn't an adjustment for height on these seats. Yeah, I know it would be one more thing, but just think about all the complaints that have been voiced about seat height since the RLXi was released in 03. When you consider the vast height range of people driving the boats, from the 5' wife to the 6'2" husband, it seems it would be very useful. Yes, I know the bolster is there, but who wants to sit on that the entire time they drive the boat?

My seat is slightly higher than my ski partner's--both 08 RLXis. His was early production, mine was a few months later. For a short guy like me, it makes driving mine much more comfortable.

Maybe Peter put in a special request for ya!

I like where my seat height is on my lxi. I want to feel like I'm driving a sports car, not a minivan!

I raised the seat in my RLX about 25mm with longer bolts and two layers on plastic kitchen chopping board. You'd be amazed how just raising seats a tiny bit makes a big difference. 4" (100mm) seems a lot.

I raised the seat in my RLX about 25mm with longer bolts and two layers on plastic kitchen chopping board. You'd be amazed how just raising seats a tiny bit makes a big difference. 4" (100mm) seems a lot.

Was it easy to do? Any pics? Did you just drill through the plastic chopping board? Thanks for your response.

Easy as to do. Removed seat base cushion. Removed 4 nuts. Sliding rails back & forth was able to remove two seat bolts. Other two couldn't quite be removed so need to remove the round inspection cover between the rails when loosen the bolts holding the rails down. That aallowed rails to be lifted and other two bolts removed. Then refitted four longer stainless steel bolts. The spacers were long rectangles cut from the chopping board with hole at each end for the seat bolts. No reason why couldn't cut a few suares with holes in each but I choose to make long rectangles to 1) spread the load & 2) the chopping board was rubbish anyway so had no use for the offcuts. All up tok about 30mins to complete including cutting drillling etc