Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats your opinion on the new F.LY WATSON/SHANE

dielawn

• 2 weeks later...

I think that these boards are just like the old honeycomb boards. Sure they are lighter, they will just break easier. Honestly, you could get a Slingshot setup for cheaper and it would be more fun to ride and just as light, if not lighter. The FLY boards are overpriced and pointless, my 2cents

I think its like bikes (the pedal style), you gotta pay for ultra light weight sometimes it comes at the expense of long term durability you gotta pick where you want to spend the bucks for the primo goods. I upgraded my wheels a couple of years ago and it made a huge difference, not so much in top end speed but in average speed it really helped. That being said a boards rotational mass is a little less cruicial than bike wheels but I'd still be down to try one.

I think the advances they've made in bindings over the past couple of years blows away the advances in boards. I upgraded my boots (and board) last year and I am still smiliing about how much lighter and more comfortable the boots are than my old ones.

IMHO go ahead if you think it will make you ride better. Personally I have seen some amazing ish go down on some relatively heavy and old boards. Heck A. Frances rode like a 4 yr old waterlogged premier and absolutely killed it on that thing! The manufacturers would like you to think that by buying a new board, the sea will part, the clouds will disappear, the wind will die, the sun will shine, and you will magically start landing tricks you never thought possible. The only real way to make that last part happen is with more water time on a decent setup...by decent I mean anything that fits you, that was made in the last 5 years.

Ohh, and dont forget weight and durability have an inverse relationship.

I dunno about the inverse relationship. Slingshots are the lightest boards every and just don't break. Travis Propst went from riding a Liquid Force, on a Shane 140 that broke about 6 or 7 times a year, to a Slingshot Recoil 142 that he says he hasn't broken yet. He's been riding a SS for over a year now.

I think that these boards are just like the old honeycomb boards. Sure they are lighter, they will just break easier. Honestly, you could get a Slingshot setup for cheaper and it would be more fun to ride and just as light, if not lighter. The FLY boards are overpriced and pointless, my 2cents

Plus1.gif

I rode the Slingshot Recoil this past summer and loved it! I picked up the 07 model w/ Driver boots for $399.00. Super light setup and is a blast to ride. The only complaint I have is the triple lace up system. It's a little overkill. I removed the inner bootie laces and just used the 2 outer laces and problem was solved!