Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A Color Question

PVLP

I heard from a friend that the colors that your Malibu boat can be (take black for example) don't heat up very much in the sun. Is this true? or not so much. Thanks for your help, just trying to decide on colors for next boat.

I heard from a friend that the colors that your Malibu boat can be (take black for example) don't heat up very much in the sun. Is this true? or not so much. Thanks for your help, just trying to decide on colors for next boat.

Not to be smart, but Black can be hot no matter what manufacturer it is.

The lighter colors are a lot cooler. I think the lighter colors are a lot less likely to fade over time. My last boat the top of the boat was white and red and the red faded pretty bad and the white didn't. I made sure on my Malibu that it was mostly white on top and the seats were white and light gray. The seat on my jet ski is black...that baby gets freaking HOT.

I haven't noticed the darker gel coat of my current boat being hot. However, there is definitely something to be said for the vinyl. The light graphite is noticeably hotter than the white. Of course, that isn't much of a problem once you put a towel down.

My boat is black and white. I don't know about when it's on the water, but when it's on the trailer at home the black gets extremely hot (when it sits in the sun for a while). I notice it when I'm waxing. I haven't noticed much fading though (in the 2 seasons I've owned it).

Ok, so I'm going back to 8th grade science...black is the presence of all colors and white is the absence of all colors. The attraction and storage of light creates heat. It's alot more complex than that but in a nutshell white is the coolest, black is the hottest. Other shades in between white and black will draw and produce a corresponding amount of heat.

Peace!

What I'm trying to figure out, is why it would matter on the gel coat. On the vinyl I can understand being aware of it--and the medium-darker colors definitely are hotter to sit on.

I have had two LSV's with Black gel on the top deck and really did not notice that it was any hotter than any other color. I just finished building our 09 and we are going back with Black on the top deck again.

I ain't no genius...

Patrick

Well, Patrick, that's true. And there are still a few of us around who remember that you're a jerk. :)

Hey Jack, didn't you put a stripe of that real fine silver sparkly color on your new boat?

The wife unit wants some of that on ours, I'm not sure I do, and I was wondering whether you still like it.

If it gets scratched I'm concerned about its repairability too.

Yupper. I love it! Mine is on Deck Accent 2, or the nose of the boat. When the sun is not shining, it looks like it matches the Moonbeam hull. Then when the sun is on it. . .WOW! Unfortunately it does not show up well in pictures, but I have some--shoot me an email and I'll send you some if you're interested. There were many times this past summer that I told the CFO how glad I was 'we' went with it (read: she let me).

Yes. Repairability could be an issue down the road. Obviously, a minor scratch can be buffed out like any other. Something more would be a problem. But, really Bill, are you gonna let anything touch your boat??? Crazy.gif