Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Did my winterization

When I removed the large water hose from the engine’s water pump, there was rusty looking water in the hose. Did not look normal. I emptied the hose and wiped it out. Is this something I should be worried about.

How long has the boat been sitting?

3 to 4 weeks.

When I drainded it, there was that orange residue left that I wiped out with a clean rag.

That's going to happen, I have never ran antifreeze in any other boat I've owned but I did on the current one we have.

I ran the boat for a while on the fake a lake to clear out the old water and then set up a bucket filled with antifreeze to the water inlet hose ran the engine until it came out the back.

BTY: I used biodegradable antifreeze :)

When I removed the large water hose from the engine’s water pump, there was rusty looking water in the hose. Did not look normal. I emptied the hose and wiped it out. Is this something I should be worried about.

The inside of the motor block is uncoated cast iron. If raw water sits in that environment the water will attack and rust the cast iron. In closed cooling systems the A/F will keep that from happening to some extent. Unless you have closed cooling option on your engine it will dirty up the water until it's flushed out. This is why when you drain the block to winterize, you should make sure the drain holes are not clogged with rust flakes from inside the block and not letting the block drain completly.

The inside of the motor block is uncoated cast iron. If raw water sits in that environment the water will attack and rust the cast iron. In closed cooling systems the A/F will keep that from happening to some extent. Unless you have closed cooling option on your engine it will dirty up the water until it's flushed out. This is why when you drain the block to winterize, you should make sure the drain holes are not clogged with rust flakes from inside the block and not letting the block drain completly.

So, after you drain the block, do you leave the plugs out until spring or do you plug it back up for the winter?

Just a warning- I pulled the plugs on the block last winter and left them out and the threads one side of the block rusted. I wasn't able to screw the plug back in and had to get a tap to cut the rust out of the threads.

Just a warning- I pulled the plugs on the block last winter and left them out and the threads one side of the block rusted. I wasn't able to screw the plug back in and had to get a tap to cut the rust out of the threads.

Agree! Put the plugs back in the block. Not only will you avoid the rust issue, you will also avoid any unwanted critters entering the block for some winter warmth. Always close everything back up. You can leave the drain plugs in the hull out but not the ones from the engine.

That's going to happen, I have never ran antifreeze in any other boat I've owned but I did on the current one we have.

I ran the boat for a while on the fake a lake to clear out the old water and then set up a bucket filled with antifreeze to the water inlet hose ran the engine until it came out the back.

BTY: I used biodegradable antifreeze :)

How do you know how diluted your A/F got with the water in the block? You should at least drain the engine of all water before sucking up the A/F.