Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do It Yourself Wakeboard Rack

martinarcher

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build a wakeboard rack for a fly high pylon. I want to hold my wakeboard, kneeboard, and a pair of skiis.

I'm certainly a do it yourselfer. I also don't like paying crazy money for things i feel I can make myself, but this topic has me wondering if I should buy or build? I've been pricing aluminum plate and drawing up designs. I have access to a machine shop that could cut/shape the plate. I just don't want to invest over $100 in just plate and end up buying one in the end. If you guys think I can do it, I might just start a winter project/build thread. Here's what i need form you guys....

1. What racks do you use - what do you like about them, what would you change?

2. Pics of racks for ideas. I know some tower racks wouldn't do well on a pylon.

3. I debated using stainless plate, but I think it will be way too heavy up on the pylon. Are all of your racks aluminum? If so, how thick are they?

4. I also need to find a source for a clamp to attach the rack to the pylon/tower.

Thanks guys. I hope this thread will be fun and beneficial to everyone.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build a wakeboard rack for a fly high pylon. I want to hold my wakeboard, kneeboard, and a pair of skiis.

I'm certainly a do it yourselfer. I also don't like paying crazy money for things i feel I can make myself, but this topic has me wondering if I should buy or build? I've been pricing aluminum plate and drawing up designs. I have access to a machine shop that could cut/shape the plate. I just don't want to invest over $100 in just plate and end up buying one in the end. If you guys think I can do it, I might just start a winter project/build thread. Here's what i need form you guys....

1. What racks do you use - what do you like about them, what would you change?

2. Pics of racks for ideas. I know some tower racks wouldn't do well on a pylon.

3. I debated using stainless plate, but I think it will be way too heavy up on the pylon. Are all of your racks aluminum? If so, how thick are they?

4. I also need to find a source for a clamp to attach the rack to the pylon/tower.

Thanks guys. I hope this thread will be fun and beneficial to everyone.

NICE RACKS ROCK! The finish is one of the best I have seen. The bunges are strong and the overall design holds the boards tight to the forks...

www.diywake.com has lots of good tower accessories (clamps, fingers...etc) that might help you in your quest.

I seriously considered building my own rack for my illusion tower. I've got access to a machine shop and could do all the work there for free. I even bought a large piece of aluminum stock to make them. We got half way through drawing up the plans when someone came on here selling exactly the racks I was looking for, and by the time I added up all the materials costs and my time and labor, it was a deal I could not refuse. True, I cant say I put my own sweat and elbow grease into the racks on my tower, but there is no doubt that the fit and finish on the professionally made racks was better then the ones I would have made would ever have been!

Monster tower sells clamps. Never used them, so I cannot vouge for them.

http://shop.monstertower.com/c-16-wakeboar...ccessories.aspx

Thanks - those look like what I'll be needing.

www.diywake.com has lots of good tower accessories (clamps, fingers...etc) that might help you in your quest.

I seriously considered building my own rack for my illusion tower. I've got access to a machine shop and could do all the work there for free. I even bought a large piece of aluminum stock to make them. We got half way through drawing up the plans when someone came on here selling exactly the racks I was looking for, and by the time I added up all the materials costs and my time and labor, it was a deal I could not refuse. True, I cant say I put my own sweat and elbow grease into the racks on my tower, but there is no doubt that the fit and finish on the professionally made racks was better then the ones I would have made would ever have been!

I hear ya. I'm starting to add up the costs and what I thought were expensive racks are actually not bad at all. TO build it right from the right materials is not cheap. I'm still not throwing in the towel, but I am keeping my eye out for a used set of racks as well. I agree that would change my mind, but in the meantime, I'll carry on. Thanks for the info.

Well that tuned out to be an easy decision. I was looking for good deals on racks and Skylon was having a "get rid of old racks" ebay auction. I got two bat wakeboard racks and a bat surf rack for a little over $230. I think I made out well and these racks can be taken off the pylon quickly without tools so I can store my pylon without them on it. I'm happy with my purchase!