Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf board reco

lbolio

What type / brand of wakesurf board do you recommend for begginners?

My kid (10 years) and myself (44) want to start on this.

we are fairly good wakeboarders

I am 36 and weight about 185lbs. I've got the Hyperlite Broadcast 5ft. 6in. This seems to be a good board for beginners and a good all around board to have when guests want to give it a try. It does seem to be a little limiting though once you figure the whole thing out as it is kind of a longer/bigger board. My recommendation is to take the center fin off though.

I am 36 and weight about 185lbs. I've got the Hyperlite Broadcast 5ft. 6in. This seems to be a good board for beginners and a good all around board to have when guests want to give it a try. It does seem to be a little limiting though once you figure the whole thing out as it is kind of a longer/bigger board. My recommendation is to take the center fin off though.

Take a look at the "Inland Surfer" products.

The Blue one is an excellent size for learning and as your get better.

See if your local dealership / boardshop will loan you one for the day.

My 15 yr old daughter (110 lbs-ish) and me (185-ish) both ride this board.

Have Fun!

JM

Edited by Olivertuft

I would also recommend the Inland Surfer boards. We have the quad fin blue lake, and the carbon rail green lugi. The blue lake is harder to get up on for beginners but is quicker and stays in the wave nicely. The green lugi is more of a trick board, harder to ride but easier to spin, etc. Inland boards are epoxy so they are more brittle.(Don't run into the back of the boat) Cry.gif My wifes' board is a 5'4" Liquid force "inlander" Awesome beginner board, easy to get up on, very stable, perfect to learn on.

In my opinion it is worth every dollar extra to buy a good surf board, and I would also reccomend the inland surfer blue lake. I think it is rather easy to get up on since it is so big (that is, easier for bigger people), and it is a very smooth board to ride on that is very comfortable. Very easy to stay in the pocket, and there is no need to really pump to gain speed, all one has to do is just lean over their front foot/shift their weight forwards and they will start to go back towards the boat.

I like the Ronix lineup..... My 10 year olds can go ropeless on a DD with no ballast if they can learn to stay in the sweet spot. I of course have to have the rope until I add ballast (coming soon)

AF1

Plus1.gif

More discussion here.

I like the Ronix lineup..... My 10 year olds can go ropeless on a DD with no ballast if they can learn to stay in the sweet spot. I of course have to have the rope until I add ballast (coming soon)

AF1

I havde a DD WakeSetter with factory ballest and wedge. Will my kids be able to go ropeless without any extra ballest. What about an adult at 180#? We are also looking for a good starting board. All wakeboard and ski.

AF1

I havde a DD WakeSetter with factory ballest and wedge. Will my kids be able to go ropeless without any extra ballest. What about an adult at 180#? We are also looking for a good starting board. All wakeboard and ski.

I weigh 210 and can't go ropeless on my DD, but I am not running a wedge so that may make a difference. I am adding some led sacks under my rear seat, ski locker and bow for wakeboarding, then when we wakesurf we can stack all the bags on the rear seat surfside. I am hoping this gives me enough wake to go ropeless myself. Will be a total of 800 lbs from

www.pop-products.com

I could go with ballast tanks and get more weight, but I have alot of people in the boat all the time and don't want to compromise space so going with the lead sacks. Hope this helps.

AF1

Here are some pics of one of my 10 year olds wakesurfing with no ballast behind DD

gallery_6526_516_66264.jpg

gallery_6526_516_76237.jpg

gallery_6526_516_29349.jpg

gallery_6526_516_26317.jpg

gallery_6526_516_67192.jpg

with that boat you won't need one of the big boards. i have a phase 5 prop (mid size) and phase 5 icon (smaller) (sold my oogle, the big phase 5). beginners get up and are ropeless on day 1 with the prop. the icon is a lot of fun because it is so slippery on the water, you can really make it do whatever you want.

The problem with the big boards is they get boring too quickly. If you have a smaller wake you need the extra size to provide the push, but if you have a big wake, the smaller boards are more fun. I also do not care for boards with a lot of fins on them, especially those with really big fins, it makes it harder to break the surface tension of the water to do sharp cuts and spins.

the trick to using a smaller board is the wake. (i will find a pic).

I have a Phase 5 Oogle. Its big and a great board to teach people how to get up on and gets them up and riding..... I have yet to take off the single fin.

AF1,

If that's a full size ski handle your kid is using, you might wanna consider getting a wake surf specific handle or rope.

The reasoning is, if someone falls there's a chance their arm or head could go through the triangle of the handle since there's slack in the rope or, if they let the rope drop down into the water while they're riding.

AF1,

If that's a full size ski handle your kid is using, you might wanna consider getting a wake surf specific handle or rope.

The reasoning is, if someone falls there's a chance their arm or head could go through the triangle of the handle since there's slack in the rope or, if they let the rope drop down into the water while they're riding.

Also: When people start getting slack in the rope they tend to 'coil' it up in their hands. When they start losing the wave and drifting back, the knotted mess in their hands becomes really dangerous. I had a buddy dislocate his finger this way...he was very lucky the boat stopped as fast as it did or he wouldn't have that finger anymore.

As far as a beginner surf board, I would agree with Cervello. The big boards become boring very quickly, and are a handful for the young ones to deal with when they are learning. The bigger the board, the harder it is to set that initial edge necessary to stand up. I'm 210 and ride the CWB "tsunami". I've rode a ton of boards and like it the best. Good luck and have fun! Let us know what you ended up getting.

AF1,

Will do, thanks for the tip! Makes sense!

AF1

I´m going for a 2008 Hyperlite broadcast to start.

It's on sale now, we will start with this and then I suppose we will probably want something more sophisticated and expensive.

Wish us luck, we start in Dec 5!

Saludos from Mexico

Luis

Edited by lbolio

Even if you love your new board, you'll likely want to get additional ones to try out. I've purchased a couple Inland Surfers on craigslist for roughly half price and love them.

I also have a Liquid Force Custom that a lot of our friends like and a LF Thruster. The thruster isn't as much fun compared to the regular Custom.

The Inland Blue Lake is big, but still fun for all levels of riders.

I love my Inland Yellow Loogey though... hands down, the winner for most of the riders in our boat. Thumbup.gif

Happy surfin'.

Charlie

Even if you love your new board, you'll likely want to get additional ones to try out. I've purchased a couple Inland Surfers on craigslist for roughly half price and love them.

I also have a Liquid Force Custom that a lot of our friends like and a LF Thruster. The thruster isn't as much fun compared to the regular Custom.

The Inland Blue Lake is big, but still fun for all levels of riders.

I love my Inland Yellow Loogey though... hands down, the winner for most of the riders in our boat. Thumbup.gif

Happy surfin'.

Charlie

I have the 4 9' broadcast and weigh 150 with a direct drive and about 2200 lbs ballast I can ride with no rope and my buddy who is 210 lbs can ride with no rope. My bro inlaw has a 5 6' broadcast and it is way easier for beginners to stay in the pocket as it just has more push. i have rode a obrien alais ( I think) it was big like 5 8' and I had to be on the breaks the whole ride but is was way more bouyent but less maneuverable. Learn to ride a short board and it will make you learn to pump and how to stay in the pocket. It will be harder at first but pay off as you learn so much quicker because you can't rely on the size of the board to help you "catch the wave after you lose it"