Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LED WAKE EMBLEM UPGRADE

Bake's Marine

Thought I would share this one with the crew, since it turned out really nice. Simple do it yourself project.

This was a easy upgrade to make your Wakesetter or Malibu emblem above your cup holders look on fire! We added two more OEM LED's to the emblem, look at the difference it made! Real easy install, it only took a hour at most to do both sides.

These are the lights we used (there is all ready one inside the emblem, we just added two more) http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=864

Check out the big difference! These pictures were taken in the middle of the day so imagine them at dusk or night time...

post-4023-1226521239_thumb.jpg

Thought I would share this one with the crew, since it turned out really nice. Simple do it yourself project.

This was a easy upgrade to make your Wakesetter or Malibu emblem above your cup holders look on fire! We added two more OEM LED's to the emblem, look at the difference it made! Real easy install, it only took a hour at most to do both sides.

These are the lights we used (there is all ready one inside the emblem, we just added two more) http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=864

Check out the big difference! These pictures were taken in the middle of the day so imagine them at dusk or night time...

Will you please sign me up and do the install for that upgrade?

Thank$$$$$,

JM

The upgrade makes the Stock set up look pretty weak.

It's a bummer they don't do more from the factory, at night the one light does ok but it's not as bright as the 3 that's for sure!

Thank$$$$$,

JM

What else can we "Jesse James" for you on your VLX, that boat is going to dialed in!!!! We will have to go surfing together sometime next summer!! Thanks for all the business Captain M. Biggrin.gif

Ive never done any kind of wiring on anything so do we simply just tie them into the led thats already there? Red to Red then tape and Black to black. Also if you could possible take some pics of how you have them screwed in I think you would sell alot more. I would like to add these, but Im just curious how simple it is.

Looking at the lights its doesnt look like it would be hard. I just dont wanna screw up. Which mounting brackets did yall use?

I have a feeling this LED thing could be addicting

Nice work paul.. Its good to know I`m not the only led crazy guy in your shop.. Oliver we will need to see each other one night next summer and see who is brighter.

Well, I can tell you right now, ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you straight up....'that guys not too bright"

I think we met in the shop briefly when i was talking to Paul about 2 pair of stern LEDs for our new Wakesetter.

Im not too sure about the "seeing each other one night next summer" part though.

Cheers,

JM

Edited by Olivertuft
The upgrade makes the Stock set up look pretty weak.

It's a bummer they don't do more from the factory, at night the one light does ok but it's not as bright as the 3 that's for sure!

Thank$$$$$,

JM

What else can we "Jesse James" for you on your VLX, that boat is going to dialed in!!!! We will have to go surfing together sometime next summer!! Thanks for all the business Captain M. Biggrin.gif

Is there any kind of a self help group or 12 step program that i can join? I think i'm out of controle!

Admitting there is a problem is the 1st step, right?

Would love to take you and your wife for a day of surfing as soon as the spring rolls around.

Seriously, Thank you for all your help and good suggestions.

By the way, I'd perfer to think of it more as "007 / James Bond" than Jesse James. He always had all the cool stuff on his rides.

Josh

Edited by Olivertuft
Ive never done any kind of wiring on anything so do we simply just tie them into the led thats already there? Red to Red then tape and Black to black. Also if you could possible take some pics of how you have them screwed in I think you would sell alot more. I would like to add these, but Im just curious how simple it is.

Looking at the lights its doesnt look like it would be hard. I just dont wanna screw up. Which mounting brackets did yall use?

Whistling.gif You have no idea

Nice work paul.. Its good to know I`m not the only led crazy guy in your shop.. Oliver we will need to see each other one night next summer and see who is brighter.

Well, I can tell you right now, ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you straight up....'that guys not too bright"

I think we met in the shop briefly when i was talking to Paul about 2 pair of stern LEDs for our new Wakesetter.

Im not too sure about the "seeing each other one night next summer" part though.

Cheers,

JM

Dontknow.gif

all I can say is be careful with leds they are easy to install and look good. Whistling.gif

post-3478-1226543605_thumb.jpg

So basically just find an existing interior light and cut and splice it all together with the new one and black is the ground then tape. Is that all there is to it.

Id really like to do this cause the way my LED is mounted in there now, at least on the 09, it only lights up the first half of Wakesetter.

Should I use the straight out or downward facing brackets? I'm guessing down...

Not really having spent much time looking at the emblems, how do they come off to get to the back side? How are the LEDs mounted to the emblems. Looks great and really a relatively cheap upgrade.

Not really having spent much time looking at the emblems, how do they come off to get to the back side? How are the LEDs mounted to the emblems. Looks great and really a relatively cheap upgrade.

2 screws on the front of the emblem and it pops right off. Very simple upgrade.

Are these single LED's only on the Wakesetter? Is that a factory option? Are you talking about the chrome emblems on the Illusion X tower or the interior of the boat?

They are in the interior of the boat, mounted right above the cupholders. They turn on when the running lights are switched on.

The dealer here in Coeur d'Alene puts them on the outside of the tower too.

They are in the interior of the boat, mounted right above the cupholders. They turn on when the running lights are switched on.

That would look nice as well. They must change out the Aluminum wakesetter with the interior?

Do you have any pics?

That would look nice as well. They must change out the Aluminum wakesetter with the interior?

Do you have any pics?

Here it is at last year's boat show in Spokane.

2008SpokaneBoatshow005.jpg

Do you have any pics?

I wish that we could do that because they look awesome, but cops would hand out tickets left and right around here. The only lights allowed above the rub rail are for navigation purposes only. The only red/green lights must be on the bow (under 12 meters) and there should only be 1 white light, (stern or mast light) Granted if you were on a private lake those laws would never matter but it still wouldn't be safe for that boat or other boaters because it wouldn't follow navigation laws.

Here is a little bit more info: http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/course/p4-9_navlights.htm

If you don't have the two screws on the front, they are thru-bolted with a nylox nut on the back side. Those are a lot harder to get off only becaues the bolts are hard to reach, still possible to do this mod though.

Do you have any pics?

That looks realy good but I would be carefull if they are shining on the out side of the boat the will need to meet boating regulations. I.e. red and green.

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/lights.html

From experiance I can tell you that blue is reserved for emergancy vessels only...

Oh I see bakes beat me to it.. hey shouldnt you guys be working on my boat? Tease2.gif

Edited by liljohn

they are really simple to install, correct, red to red black to black. LED lights are polar sensitive so power has to go to power and ground has to go to ground.

We used the down facing brackets.

LED lighting is very addictive!!!!

If you don't have the two screws on the front, they are thru-bolted with a nylox nut on the back side. Those are a lot harder to get off only becaues the bolts are hard to reach, still possible to do this mod though.

I have not gone to look at mine since this thread started, but I don't believe I have the screws. I think they must be thru bolted, and on the 247 it is a long reach to get back there. I was hoping for an easier solution.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Please let me know when the classes start, but I'm not sure I'm curable. Dontknow.gif

I'll need to take some pics for the crew, but I put 2 white, down firing in the boat cooler this weekend. Another in the glove box too. All from Bakes and will be ordering additional reds ones for the Wakesetter emblem shown here.

So...... at what qty of these lights do our addictive personalities blow the factory interior light circuit? Blowup.gif I count 16 lights on my boat so far with plans for at least 4-6 more. (Wakesetter emblem and air vents in the back.) Don't need my addiction to smoke the electrical on the boat!!!!