Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone tow with a motor home?

Shawn266

We tow the boat with a 40' Prevost and bring the truck or car along for running around. We've considered trying to get by without a run around vehicle but it seems too complicated for the places we like to go in the summer. I did build a bracket for the front of the bus to launch with but have never had the balls to actually use it.

I always hated braking camp to launch and retrieve, that's why I went with a different thought . A 5th wheel. Yea I know we lost the ability to grab a sandwich while driving but now I use my tow vehicle as a daily driver and instead of only putting 5,000 miles a year on the motor home I put 25,000 on the truck.

Once camp is set up we are free to come and go as we please and we do alot more site seeing.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/gwn...cation08059.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/gwn...111Medium-1.jpg

That is cool, but you'll get stuck at the border here. Nothing doing in Washington.

One question - is that within weight limits for towing for your truck?

Edited by TheBlackPearl
I always hated braking camp to launch and retrieve, that's why I went with a different thought . A 5th wheel. Yea I know we lost the ability to grab a sandwich while driving but now I use my tow vehicle as a daily driver and instead of only putting 5,000 miles a year on the motor home I put 25,000 on the truck.

Once camp is set up we are free to come and go as we please and we do alot more site seeing.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/gwn...cation08059.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j133/gwn...111Medium-1.jpg

That is cool, but you'll get stuck at the border here. Nothing doing in Washington.

One question - is that within weight limits for towing for your truck?

Weight limits....heck that rig is way over the California maximum combined length of 65'. I see people doing it, but don't know how they get away with it.

A little known note when towing doubles is that if the center trailer is less than 28'6" then the overall length of the rig goes from 65' to 75'

Fully loaded with fuel I weigh at 23,455

Brakes on all 12 tires

Duramax with the Ally in tow mode Biggrin.gif

I usually pull my Wakesetter LSV with a 30' Class C E350. Its fine most of the time but a little slow up steep grades. There aren't that many steep grades so I just have to put it in D2 and be patient. I launch with the RV most of the time as well. If the ramp is wide then I make a U turn as close to the bottom as possible. I've gotten into problems a few times when the ramp wasn't wide enough and I had to back up. For those thinking of a front hitch. Don't use it to pull out unless its a short ramp, at least unless you have a super heavy duty tranny. On that back up episode of mine the RV came to a halt, the tranny got hot and started slipping. Fortunately I was able to go off the side of the ramp and turn around (4 wheeling with an RV is not fun). The front hitch works great for getting your boat in tight places like parking your boat in a narrow side yard.

As for backing down the ramp, I was very lucky when I first got my RV. While I was parking the trailer after spending a long time zig zagging down the ramp, my wife watch an old pro launch his boat with an RV. She said he just used his mirror and made lots of tiny adjustments as he went down the ramp. The next time I tried it and it worked great. As I back down slowly and steadily, I look for trailer fender to show on one side or the other. When it shows I make a slight adjustment the opposite way until the fender shows on the opposites side and repeat the process. I've had lots of compliments for getting my long rig straight down a long ramp right next to other boats launching.

C'mon, launching the boat with a motorhome is no big deal.

(assumes you have moorage, and not pulling it out each evening-that disruption not worth it)

If you've backed down a typical tow vehicle a few hundred times, you can do the motorhome too.

Just like driving: it's bigger, different, but once you get the hang of it, you can do it.

We launch at arrival Sunday night, pull out Saturday as we leave, so it works out fine. 2 trips or 2 vehicles is WAY too much trouble.