Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impeller

The Limo (247LSV)

Hey, I have an 07 Malibu Waksetter 247 LSV, with the hammerhead 383. I was wondering if anyone knows of hand which impeller it needs...

Thanks!

The full part number is a Johnson 09-812B, there are a few other 812 models available so make sure you get that exsact part number.

Here are pictures and all the specs on the impeller if it helps any. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276

On a v-drive boat your going to want to have a impeller puller, it will make the job MUCH easier! You have to be a contortionist to work on most v-drives.

-Paul

The full part number is a Johnson 09-812B, there are a few other 812 models available so make sure you get that exsact part number.

Here are pictures and all the specs on the impeller if it helps any. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276

On a v-drive boat your going to want to have a impeller puller, it will make the job MUCH easier! You have to be a contortionist to work on most v-drives.

-Paul

Yeah, just did that job for the first time on my vdrive. Not fun, not fun at all. It was a good thing the kids weren't around, that's all I can say. Whistling.gif

-Paul

Yeah, just did that job for the first time on my vdrive. Not fun, not fun at all. It was a good thing the kids weren't around, that's all I can say. Whistling.gif

We feel your pain, about 10 times a day! I would say that about 70%+ of the boats we service are v-drives now.

Did you have a impeller puller? they make the job on a v-drive so much easier having the correct tools to get the job done.

-Paul

Edited by Bakes Board & Ski
Two short flathead screwdrivers next time Tracie...makes it a piece of cake.

Yep, that was fun. All the wife saw was my feet sticking out of the boat, accompanied by a slew of expletives. Tried the two screwdriver thing but just couldn't get enough force on it where it was at the back of the engine compartment...

Is the 812 the same one for an 08 340 Monsoon? Bakes says it "fits most Indmar engines". Just wanted to make sure.

Mike

Yeah, I can't see how I could get enough force on that either with the angle & all. I love how quiet the boat is, but that silent rider crosstube is right in the freaking way. I'm just glad that my family wasn't around to hear what was coming out of my mouth at the time, that's all I can say.

The 812 should be correct.

I just changed the impeller in my boat a couple of weeks ago for the second time. The first time I used needle nose pliers and it was a real chore. I finally got the thing out, but it wasn't easy. This time I sprayed some silicone into the impeller, cranked the engine once, and used a puller. It was much easier and the impeller came out without any damage to it such that I can save it as a spare. The puller was worth the purchase for sure.

My 12 y/o was there to help when I pulled the impeller a few weeks ago. She was kind and said she did not learn any new swears. That means one of two things: 1. I didn't swear while pulling it, or 2. I swear too much and she heard them all before. Whistling.gif Erm...

To the question - I have a note in my pocket, still, to order a new 812. And that's for the LCR motor, so it must be the same. Chris - confirm/deny?

Mini-needle nose didn't do jack. Two paint can openers started to move it. Big needlenoe and liberal WD-40 blast finally got it. Four hours later! Took all side panels out and was lying on the port side with my head against the transom (at least it's carpeted there) with a drop-light dangling over the crosstube so I could see what I was trying to destroy. I still have a crick in my neck I think.

Two short flathead screwdrivers next time Tracie...makes it a piece of cake.

Is the 812 the same one for an 08 340 Monsoon? Bakes says it "fits most Indmar engines". Just wanted to make sure.

Mike

Mike - the 09-812B does fit your 08 Monsoon engine

Yeah, I can't see how I could get enough force on that either with the angle & all.

The 812 should be correct.

Wakegirl, Give me a call sometime and I will get you set up with a impeller puller. http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1244

To the question - I have a note in my pocket, still, to order a new 812. And that's for the LCR motor, so it must be the same. Chris - confirm/deny?

Tory - The 09-812B is the impeller for your LCR engine.

-Paul

Thanks for the confirmation Paul. I started a shopping cart a little while ago, but that thing called <work> got in the way. One of these days I'll order up a kit and spare gasket or 2. There's still a bit of time before spring launch rolls around...

Is the puller really necessary for those of us tackling this project once a year? Certainly it makes sense for a dealer/shop operation doing 10+ a day. Now that we know the self-taught tricks...

Is the puller really necessary for those of us tackling this project once a year? Certainly it makes sense for a dealer/shop operation doing 10+ a day. Now that we know the self-taught tricks...

No, not necessary. But for a one-time price of about $32 (boatfix.com), it was a no-brainer for me.

Turns the whole process into a fairly easy and timely exchange. No curse words necessary. And, I'm confident

I can get it done, on the water, in minimal down-time, should the need ever arise. YMMV.

Edited by srab

No, not necessary. But for a one-time price of about $32 (boatfix.com), it was a no-brainer for me.

Turns the whole process into a fairly easy and timely exchange. No curse words necessary. And, I'm confident

I can get it done, on the water, in minimal down-time, should the need ever arise. YMMV.

Ah, there's the reason that I needed to buy one. <going on the list to add to the toolkit before next spring>

Thanks for the confirmation Paul. I started a shopping cart a little while ago, but that thing called <work> got in the way. One of these days I'll order up a kit and spare gasket or 2. There's still a bit of time before spring launch rolls around...

No problem, we're here to help anytime!

On a v-drive it sure makes a world of difference having a impeller puller. They used to be $100-$150 and now that the manufactures have the price down it's a nice tool to have in the box if your going to own a boat for awhile. If you have a direct drive it's not necessary to have a puller.

Paul,

I bought one of these late in the summer and just used it for the first time a month or two ago. It seemed to me that the "legs" of the puller should have gone "deep" enough into the impeller housing so that the "hooks" on the end of it would be behind the impeller fins and pull it out that way. What I found was that the legs weren't long enough and I could only get about 3/4 of the way down the length of the impeller before it bottomed and I had to crank down on the screws and start pulling the impeller out. I didn't want to damage the impeller in any way because I intend on using the impeller again next season due to it only getting less that 50 hrs. a season on it.

I thought about making longer legs to get to the backside of the impeller but, don't know if there's actually any room for those hooks to grab it from the rear. Any thoughts? BTW, I had been using the 2 screw drivers for years and never had any trouble getting the impeller out, I just wanted a new way of removing the impeller sans damage to use it again. The screw drivers always tore the rubber in the past.

Edited by Pistol Pete

OMG I just tried to do this myself and WOW!!! Unbelievable is all I got to say!!

That damb silencer tube is right in the way!! What If i just took that silencer out and ran the boat without it??

Any advice on how to use the 2 screwdriver method?? Am I trying to turn it or just pry it out??

I cant even see what the hell im prying out cause of that dam silencer but i can feel rubber, and a pair of needle nose pliers is just pulling on the rubber doing absolutely nothing!!

On a side note I finished mostly all the Winterizing on my boat Thanks to PISTOL PETEs DIY in his Sig..I just need to figure out how to drain the heater??

Paul,

I bought one of these late in the summer and just used it for the first time a month or two ago. It seemed to me that the "legs" of the puller should have gone "deep" enough into the impeller housing so that the "hooks" on the end of it would be behind the puller fins and pull it out that way. What I found was that the legs weren't long enough and I could only get about 3/4 of the way down the length of the impeller before it bottomed and I had to crank down on the screws and start pulling the impeller out. I didn't want to damage the impeller in any way because I intend on using the impeller again next season due to it only getting less that 50 hrs. a season on it.

I thought about making longer legs to get to the backside of the impeller but, don't know if there's actually any room for those hooks to grab it from the rear. Any thoughts? BTW, I had been using the 2 screw drivers for years and never had any trouble getting the impeller out, I just wanted a new way of removing the impeller sans damage to use it again. The screw drivers always tore the rubber in the past.

I noticed the same thing when I used the puller. I also was concerned that the impeller would be damaged by the hooks on the puller, but after getting it out there really was no damage to the impeller at all. I could see where the hooks had been set, but they were really just little indention marks. I saved mine to be used as a backup.