Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead 383 oil change

So those of you that have a 383 Hammerhead may know (or maybe you don't) how difficult it is to get all of the oil out. It's been impossible for me. Because of Indmar's design flaw I've never been successful at getting more than 4 quarts out, & up until this past weekend I had just been content to move up my oil changes to every 40 hours in addition to running synthetic after 100 hours. Without exception, every oil change that I've done before this past weekend has shown nearly-black oil on the dipstick after completion. The other frustration is that to get as much as possible out, you have to completely lower the front jack & then use a floor jack to elevate the port side of the trailer. I won't have to worry about this anymore.

When I did my winterization this past weekend, I was getting ready to do the oil change when I decided to try an experiment. After completely draining the oil out, I poured in 1 quart of oil & let that sit for a few minutes. I then pumped it out, then poured yet another quart in & repeated the process. After pumping that out, I buttoned it up with new oil & ran the boat to get the oil through the filter. Topped it up, then checked it again....beautiful golden oil on the dipstick, even after running it for about 10 minutes to run Stabil through the fuel system. I did drop the front of the trailer as low as the jack would allow, but no more jacking up the trailer. Yeah, you have to sacrifice a couple of quarts of oil, but IMO it was well worth it.

FWIW, I did this on a dead-cold motor. I thought that it would be better, my theory being that the thicker the oil the less likely it would be to "mix". I felt that the new oil would "push" the old oil toward the drain, which I think it did. It takes a little more time, but it seemed to have worked. So I hope that this little tip will help others that have had the same frustration that I've felt over this issue.

John, you will definitely find more detail on other posts about winterization. But in short. The old oil has bad stuff in it. Acids, particles, bla bla bla that you want to get out. The recommendation is both the fall and spring or and every 50 hours. Some people think its a waste in the spring.

This way I can hook up the water in the spring & run it, & not really have to do anything else . . .

Yup, as long as I'm winterizing, I get it all done. Come Spring--turn the key.

Besides, if oil is going to sit in the pan, I'd rather it be non-contaminated. YMMV

cutting my hands up & busting my knuckles doing maintenance, :lol:

Ah, good, I'm not the only one. :) All I have to do is LOOK at my motor and I get scraped up knuckles.

Tracie,

When you say you poured in a qt. then pumped it out, do you mean you sucked it out of the oil pan drain tube?

You didn't suck it out of the dipstick hole.

Exactly. If I'm going to spend the time cutting my hands up & busting my knuckles doing maintenance, I might as well get it all done in one shot. :lol:

I guess I am lucky. The ol' heated garage and no winterizing is nice. What you's other people go through kind sucks.

Tracie,

When you say you poured in a qt. then pumped it out, do you mean you sucked it out of the oil pan drain tube?

You didn't suck it out of the dipstick hole.

The one time that I tried to go through the dipstick housing it gained me nothing, so I haven't tried that way since. I built a fitting a few years ago that connects to the hose that comes off of the oil pan drain plug & it easily connects to my Temp Oil Boy. That seems to be the most effective at getting what oil I can out of the pan.

John,

I hear ya. This is the first year in a long time that I've had to winterize anything, & the only reason is to take advantage of the big 'ol shop that we built last spring. :)

This way I can hook up the water in the spring & run it, & not really have to do anything else . . .

Besides, if oil is going to sit in the pan, I'd rather it be non-contaminated. YMMV

You poor ba.. Well at least you can listen to some tunes.... We'll be turing the key this weekend in clear sunny skies. Whistling.gif

I've poored in an extra quart in all my vehicles.... Dontknow.gif

I think changing your oil in the fall is a much better way. The last time I am on the water or think it may be the last time I run the boat with stable in the fuel. Go home and change or drain the oil well it is hot. First it flows much better and most of any contaminants are mixed or suspended in the old oil. If you leave it until spring much if not all the junk will settle to the bottom of the oil pan. Once it sits for a long time you aren't going to get it up by running the boat for a short time so the fresh oil will be mixing with what ever is at the bottom. Yes old oil has acid in it. I don't think the new oil is going bad sitting in the engine what would be the difference from a bottle or the oil pan.

I also do the full clean up wash cote of 303 on everything and wax over the 303. Pink stuff in the motor so nothing is dry over the winter and into the warm garage. ready for turn the key and SKI!!!!!!!!!! Oh ya by spring I am usually so fired up to go and playing with the boat it will usually get a second coat of wax. Yahoo.gif

Hi guys, I wanted to ask whilst this topic is live if how i am doing it is wrong ? I am using a drill attachment pump sent down the dip stick, sucking out the used oil.

Is this getting all the oil out?

(boat is level and on a lift)

Probably fine, although I can't speak successfully to that method.

The problem that I'm referring to in my posts is specific to the Hammerhead 383, with the way that Indmar installed the drain plug on the oil pan. AFAIK there isn't a problem in getting all of the oil out of the other engines via the drain plug since on those engines it sits at the lowest point. It doesn't on the 383, which is where the problem comes in.

You poor ba.. Well at least you can listen to some tunes.... We'll be turing the key this weekend in clear sunny skies. Whistling.gif

Justin, you can :biteme: