Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Indmar Flame Arrestor

Really stupid question, but thankfully I rank caution higher than my pride... :unsure:

I have an 08 23LSV with the 340 Indmar Monsoon. Um, where is the flame arrestor??

There is a black galvanized steel cover with the Indmar logo over the valve cover with 6 hex key bolts. I removed the bolts, but it's still on there firm. There is a conical air filter on the forward starboard side of the engine, so I'm wondering if you spray the fogging oil (for winterization) thru a clear plastic cap I can see in the pipe.

Even the manual shows your standard rectangular flame arrestor on top of the engine, so I'm lost here...

Anybody smart on the 08 Monsoons that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike

Really stupid question, but thankfully I rank caution higher than my pride... :unsure:

I have an 08 23LSV with the 340 Indmar Monsoon. Um, where is the flame arrestor??

There is a black galvanized steel cover with the Indmar logo over the valve cover with 6 hex key bolts. I removed the bolts, but it's still on there firm. There is a conical air filter on the forward starboard side of the engine, so I'm wondering if you spray the fogging oil (for winterization) thru a clear plastic cap I can see in the pipe.

Even the manual shows your standard rectangular flame arrestor on top of the engine, so I'm lost here...

Anybody smart on the 08 Monsoons that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

The closest thing you have to an arrestor is the filter on the throttle body. My Indmar manual (for 340 monsoon) states to remove this, open the throttle body, and spray in your fogging oil.

Hope this helps.

The winterization guide for the 340 monsoon clearly states to spray fogging oil via the spark plug holes FWIW

BB

BB,

Not sure what winterization guide you're talking about here. The Indmar manual states to spray into the carb. The Monsoon winterization guide somone was kind enough to link to on this site (from 7 Nov 2003) talks about how you should NOT spray directly into the spark plugs due to potential vapour lock problems.

Remember, this is an 08. The configuration of the Monsoon seems to change regularly, judging by some of the older ones I've seen.

I think ruffdawg gave me the biggest clue...Despite what the all-encompassing manual says, I don't think I have a flame arrestor, per se, just an air filter on the throttle body.

Thanks all,

Mike

Mike,

You're right your "flame arrestor" is actually the pink air filter you have clamped to your throttle body.

Take the filter off and shoot the oil in there.

It also states that spraying into the carb can damage the catylic converter

Ooops,

That's right. You guys with your fancy cat. coverters and O2 sensors probably shouldn't spray fogging oil.

Ooops,

That's right. You guys with your fancy cat. coverters and O2 sensors probably shouldn't spray fogging oil.

So does this mean that If you have a Monsoon with the Cat converter you shouldnt fog?

Ooops,

So does this mean that If you have a Monsoon with the Cat converter you shouldnt fog?

From what I read in the Indmar manual, and talking with my dealership, open the spark plugs and spray it into there.

BB

I've heard on this site not to use fogging oil if you have cats or O2 sensors. Being an ex-mechanic, I really believe in fogging an engine if it's gonna sit for an extended period. I guess I'd be removing the spark plugs and shooting the fogging oil in there. Only problem is, your not coating the intake or the valve seats. Oh well, guess that's as good as it's gonna get.

I would take out every plug, shoot some oil in every hole, crank the engine a few times with the lanyard out, then put the plugs back in. This way you don't have to worry about hydro-lock. (which doesn't happen as easily as some people think, it's takes quite a bit of fluid in the cylinder to do that)

I do not see the difference of fogging in the throttle body or the spark plug holes as far as protecting the cats or 02 sensor are involved. The oil is going to end up in the exhaust at first start up either way come spring time. The only concern I would have with fogging the TB would be if there is a mass air flow sensor in the TB of newer engines. My 03 don't have one.

There will be no difference if you fog the cylinder or the intake. Either one will burn the oil off and push it through the cat. The question is would you rather have a slightly less efficiant cat or rust in the cylinders? Would you rather have to replace the occasional 02 sensor or would rather have rust in the cylinder? Personally I would fog the cylinder.

If a MAF were used it would be located before the thottle body and unaffected by fogging the throttle body.

If a MAF were used it would be located before the thottle body and unaffected by fogging the throttle body.

There is no place in front of the TB for the MAF, so it would have to be in the plenum, but I don't think our engines, even the newer ones, use a MAF sensor.

The manual for the 08 monsoon specifically says not to apply fogging oil while the engine is running (if you have Cats). Remove spark plugs and apply directly into cylinders. I think it is pretty cut and dry. They say doing otherwise "could damage" the catalytic converter.