Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cutting out/dying under 25mph

Just got a call from another crew member who is "up north" and is having a boat isssue...so this is second hand...but thought someone might have insight.

Boat was running fine last week

Gets it up north and it runs fine at slalom speed but runs for a while then cuts out/dies under 25mph (something around 2100 rpm i think)

Starts up fine....runs for a while...then does it again.

Any ideas?

if it is carburated then it could be the idle or main jets are clogged causing sputtering at low load periods.??

ecm, fuel pump.....couple of months ago had a friend with EFI that had similiar symptoms. we tried his ECM in my boat to confirm that wasn't the problem (it wasn't). IIRC it ended up being the fuel pump (too much pressure - when boat was under heavy rpms it would catch up, but lower speeds died off). difference in symptoms is that I think he had problems at idle as well after a few minutes.

I'll check with him to confirm.

I know very little about diagnosing problems like this (very very little), but my guess is that the combination of altitude and octane of the fuel is messin with the head of the ECM. IT may be detecting early detonation, and then retarding the spark until the RPMS get high enough to where predetonation is not as noticeable. Tell him to try a higher octane fuel, which should help prevent early detonation and take the stress off the ECM and prevent it from freakin out yo!

Got a reply from my friend - his problem on his EFI turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator not the fuel pump. It was a pretty cheap part to replace. He said they had to drain gas tank to test for it - cost him more in lost gas than the part!

The symptoms were pretty similiar to your problem...

He was going to get a few cans of high octane fuel and maybe some Heat incase of water...will let you know how it turns out.

Dave

Thanks to all that replied, it was my boat, and here is a rundown.

I have 99 sunsetter LX with the monsoon, EFI

THe boat was running fantastically and then suddenly quit as I started to accelated, rover on was correct around 20 mph it would quit.

THe first time it died I had to let it sit for a 10 minutes before it would start. Once started I could not go slower than 20, if I started and hit it hard, we were fine, for a while then thens started to bounce around.

I did but some heet and high octane in and that did nothing, we thought it was the TPS, throttle position sensor, but that was not the issue at all.

We then tested the fuel pressure, it was at about 48 at idle 52 when we disconnected the vacume line, as soon as we put it to gear and started to throttle, it rocketed to 92, I am not sure if that is right.

The boater then stalls as if it is starving for gas and the the beeper goes off.

I think it is now the regulator but do not want to be replace maybe parts.

Hope this helps!

Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

Randy

Thanks to all that replied, it was my boat, and here is a rundown.

I have 99 sunsetter LX with the monsoon, EFI

THe boat was running fantastically and then suddenly quit as I started to accelated, rover on was correct around 20 mph it would quit. 

THe first time it died I had to let it sit for a 10 minutes before it would start.  Once started I could not go slower than 20, if I started and hit it hard, we were fine, for a while then thens started to bounce around.

I did but some heet and high octane in and that did nothing, we thought it was the TPS, throttle position sensor,  but that was not the issue at all.

We then tested the fuel pressure, it was at about 48 at  idle 52 when we disconnected the vacume line, as soon as we put it to gear and started to throttle, it rocketed to 92, I am not sure if that is right.

The boater then stalls as if it is starving for gas and the the beeper goes off.

I think it is now the regulator but do not want to be replace maybe parts.

Hope this helps!

Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

Randy

No promises, but the symptoms sound the same as my friend's problem with his monsoon EFI. the regulator is a pretty cheap part, so it's probably a good place to start.