Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with choosing between these two boats

Monk

OK crew: I am helping my brother look for a Wakesetter LSV 23 for his family. This will be their first boat, 4 kids, 16, 14, 12, 11 years old. They will all be bring friends along. So they will be filling the boat on most weekends. My brothers family have all grown up coming to the lake a few time a year with me and my wife. This is not to say they will need to do some work on their boating skills. As we all know once you own your own boat thing start to change fast. The family all wakeboard, and are getting into wakesurfing. Very small amount of skiing. A search of Crew members who are selling, resulted in two we took a look at, Blondieblue and chathamsolutions both great looking boats. Living in Ohio and boating in Tennessee both Crew members boats are too far away, and would cost a few more dollars than what my brother has budgeted. Enough of background information. I have found two 23 LSV wakesetters, one in the Midwest and one on the east coast so shipping will not be concern.

1st. Wakesetter has 400 hours on it only fresh water, Indmar Monsoon 335 HP. Double axle trailer with swing tongue. $35,000.00

2nd. Wakesetter has 175 hours on it only fresh water, Indmar Vortec HO 8100 big block 425 HP. Double axle trailer. $39,000.00

Question: 1. Is the Monsoon 335 HP enough power to push a 23 wakesetter around the lake with 3 full ballast tanks, wedge, and 10-13 bodies in the boat, for

for years to come, he will be holding onto this boat for 6-9 years?

2. Is this Indmar vortec HO 8100 big block 425 HP, also called the LS1 or corvette engine?

3. Is the big block a good engine to use for wakeboarding and wakesurfing?

4. Will I need to re-prop the 8.1 to get better low end torque/hole shot?

5. Will my brother have to us higher octane fuel with the 8.1?

Any help or information about either boat will be of great help in making a decision on which boat to buy. I believe either boat will make a great first boat for my brothers family. I just want him to get the best boat for his family needs now and for the future.

Thank you Crew for your help.

Don.

Edited by Monk

The Monsoon is enough power and a new prop would solve any hole shot. The 8.1 is a beast but I personally don't think it's that great. It drinks gas like Ted Kennedy on a bender, runs rough at idle, and in my opinion smells. It is not the LS-1. That is the Aluminum Vette engine that I don't think was ever offered in the new Wakesetters. What year are these?

The Monsoon is enough power and a new prop would solve any hole shot. The 8.1 is a beast but I personally don't think it's that great. It drinks gas like Ted Kennedy on a bender, runs rough at idle, and in my opinion smells. It is not the LS-1. That is the Aluminum Vette engine that I don't think was ever offered in the new Wakesetters. What year are these?

Both boats we are looking at are 2004 23 lsv wakesetters

OK crew: I am helping my brother look for a Wakesetter LSV 23 for his family. This will be their first boat, 4 kids, 16, 14, 12, 11 years old. They will all be bring friends along. So they will be filling the boat on most weekends. My brothers family have all grown up coming to the lake a few time a year with me and my wife. This is not to say they will need to do some work on their boating skills. As we all know once you own your own boat thing start to change fast. The family all wakeboard, and are getting into wakesurfing. Very small amount of skiing. A search of Crew members who are selling, resulted in two we took a look at, Blondieblue and chathamsolutions both great looking boats. Living in Ohio and boating in Tennessee both Crew members boats are too far away, and would cost a few more dollars than what my brother has budgeted. Enough of background information. I have found two 23 LSV wakesetters, one in the Midwest and one on the east coast so shipping will not be concern.

1st. Wakesetter has 400 hours on it only fresh water, Indmar Monsoon 335 HP. Double axle trailer with swing tongue. $35,000.00

2nd. Wakesetter has 175 hours on it only fresh water, Indmar Vortec HO 8100 big block 425 HP. Double axle trailer. $39,000.00

Question: 1. Is the Monsoon 335 HP enough power to push a 23 wakesetter around the lake with 3 full ballast tanks, wedge, and 10-13 bodies in the boat, for

for years to come, he will be holding onto this boat for 6-9 years?

2. Is this Indmar vortec HO 8100 big block 425 HP, also called the LS1 or corvette engine?

3. Is the big block a good engine to use for wakeboarding and wakesurfing?

4. Will I need to re-prop the 8.1 to get better low end torque/hole shot?

5. Will my brother have to us higher octane fuel with the 8.1?

Any help or information about either boat will be of great help in making a decision on which boat to buy. I believe either boat will make a great first boat for my brothers family. I just want him to get the best boat for his family needs now and for the future.

Thank you Crew for your help.

Don.

I have the 2004 23LSV Wakesetter with the 8.1 in it and you do need to run the 89 octane fuel. I added the 4th ballast tank in the in the boat as I installed the center ballast after I bought the boat which added 500lbs. While I usually do not have more than about 6 people in the boat I also run 3 PRox 750lbs sacs in the boat for surfing and with the aftermarket OJ prop the 8.1 powers the boat like it is empty. It does use more fuel than the standard power but my guess is it is only about 15% more and I really value the additional power. The 8.1 has over 500 ft-lbs of torque and that is what really matters with the additional loading.

FWIW the 2005 and later 8.1 HO's are now listed at 450hp whereas back in 2003 and 2004 it was rated at 425hp. I called Indmar and asked them what the change was in the engines and they said nothing that there is no difference but that boat manufactures could list it as 450hp since it was within the tolerence range of the spec. I have the dyno run for my engine from Indmar/GM and it pulled 419hp.

I do not know what prop is on the boat you are looking at, but spend the ~$500 on the OJ prop cause it is well worth the money and carrying a spare prop is a good insurance policy.

If I was buying a new or used boat again I would make the same decision and go with the 8.1. It does use more fuel but so what, the performance difference is well worth it. I have roughly 350 hours on mine and have had no issues with the engine.

pm me if you want to discuss further or by phone.

-Dave

If I typically ran in large open water and had a large boat full of people and propping down wasn't a consideration then the HH or 8.1 would be my choice. A Monsoon in the 23LSV is just a bit under powered imho. I can tell you the monsoon has been a rock solid engine for Malibu and I wouldn't have any doubts that it'll provide many hours of use.

If I typically ran in large open water and had a large boat full of people and propping down wasn't a consideration then the HH or 8.1 would be my choice. A Monsoon in the 23LSV is just a bit under powered imho. I can tell you the monsoon has been a rock solid engine for Malibu and I wouldn't have any doubts that it'll provide many hours of use.

FYI, the LS/1 is the aluminum 350 small block with 375 ponies.

post-371-1225970466.gif

Edited by MalibuNation

My brother will not be in open water, back in the coves looking for nice water in the AM. Then when the chop comes in, start working on wakesurfing. Propping down can be done, what ever makes the boat work/ride better we will do. Just do not want to get into a services/repair nightmare. Question regarding the HH, I have been told to stay away from pre 2005 HH engines. That is why we have not taken a hard look at any 23 LSV's with HH. Something about push rods bending, rough at idle, loud engine noise in the boat? No idea if these statements are genuine, just what I have been told by dealers and other Malibu boat owners. Anyone with first hand knowledge that could shed some light on this subject would be welcomed. Thanks Monk.

My brother will not be in open water, back in the coves looking for nice water in the AM. Then when the chop comes in, start working on wakesurfing. Propping down can be done, what ever makes the boat work/ride better we will do. Just do not want to get into a services/repair nightmare. Question regarding the HH, I have been told to stay away from pre 2005 HH engines. That is why we have not taken a hard look at any 23 LSV's with HH. Something about push rods bending, rough at idle, loud engine noise in the boat? No idea if these statements are genuine, just what I have been told by dealers and other Malibu boat owners. Anyone with first hand knowledge that could shed some light on this subject would be welcomed. Thanks Monk.

Given that I didn't know the age of the boats I would stay away personally to the pre '05 HH's yes. Although if it's got 100+ hours typically the bugs had all been worked out IIRC correctly as the consensus. Then I'd suggest test driving each boat w/ full ballast and people, the Monsoon will struggle w/ the stock prop but repropped it'll do okay. For others the power out of the whole is important and therefore the 8.1 is the better choice. I've not heard any issues or reliability w/ the 8.1, but the monsoon is the most widely used engine in the Malibu line and probably the most ordered engine for the 23's. The HH is a louder engine and yes it's rough due to the lope, it's quick and great top end power. Only the LS1, which the 8.1 is different, required anything higher than 89 octane.