Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Buy 06 Vride- Need Malibu Expert Advise

Ndawg12

I'm looking to buy an 2006 Vride, I haven't seen the boat in person yet but my initial research suggests this boat is really a 2005 model. I don't have the hull number but the dealer says the last two digits are 06. He also says all the paperwork with it states that it's an 06. But the reason I'm questioning it is because:

1) it has the Titan tower, every tower on an 06 has the newer illusion X that I've seen, even some 05's have the Illusion X, maybe it was an upgrade in 05 but I wouldn't think you could or would downgrade to the Titan in 06.

2) the graphics (which I understand are easily changable) appear to be the 05. Unless when you buy new you have different options. The 06's that I've seen have Vride on the sides but this one has Malibu on the sides. The graphic on the back is different as well, I'm not sure which was which, I just know it was different from the 06's I'd seen.

3) subtle differences in the trailer design.

The dealer said that he has seen instances where manufacturers need to produce more boats in a preceeding year for the next year. Thus it was made in sometime in 05, with the 05 specs, but called an 06'. I'm not sure how that is possible if you are going to change options and standard equipment for that next year. Please keep in mind the dealer is not a Malibu dealer, and he's not blowing smoke, he's just telling me what he's seen and what he sees with the boat.

I would appreciate any and all advice, experiences, etc.

Thanks,

Hopefully soon new Malibu Owner - Nemire12

Have him send a pic of the dash.

06 has a 5in tach and speedometer an 05 has a third gauge in the middle

an 06 will have Malibu on the side with the "swirl" thingy behind it

Titan was an option

My '06 iRide says "Malibu" on the side within a circular graphic. I also have a Titan tower. I believe you'll see a lot of the Ride series with Titan towers. My guess is that it was done for differentiation, rather than a downgrade.

Johnsvt: I do have a pic of the dash, speedo on the left, tach on the right, and I believe the perfect pass or cruise controler is in the middle. There are three smaller gauges centered beneath the cruise controller. I'll look at some 05's to compare........yup, you're right, the 05 has 3 of the bigger gauges.

Badger: it sounds like it actually might be an 06 then based on your info about the graphics and tower. Let me ask you this, did you buy your iride new? If so why did you go with that tower? I know for a fact that the IllusionX was the standard in 08' and beyond? I think the IllusionX looks a lot better than the Titan (no offense, I might buy one too). Seems easier to fold down too. How easy is it to fold the titan? The dealer said he was still trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the info guys.

Edited by nemire12

Heres a pic of the 05 Vride dash. PerfectPass is on the far right.

vRidedash.jpg

Titan II was an option in 05. I believe Titan III was the option available in 06. Tower choice is a preference thing. It seems to me that people more interested in looks or design pick the Illusion. And people most interested in a super solid tower pick the Titan. Plus the Titan is more flexible for supporting multiple racks, lights & speakers. I have 2 foil racks, 2 board racks, a bimini & over 120 lbs in speakers on mine & it's still solid as can be. No way that could be done on an Illusion.

The Titan II is very easy to collapse, one bolt & a pin & lay the back on the engine cover. And I have a prop to support the front bars above the windshield. I've included a shot of it all collapsed.

CIMG0455.jpg

nemire12,

I also have a 2006 iRide. I have the same decals as Badger mentions. The speed control became a standard feature in '06 with (I think) throttle by wire. I don't believe this was an option on the 2005. So if you have the LCD in the center of the dash with the speed control it's a 2006.

When I was pricing my iRide out the Illusion X was standard, but the Titan was an upgrade (not a downgrade). If you're a skier with an iRide I could see getting the Titan because the rope gets hung up on the tower based on where the ski pylon is if you're a short line skier. However, if you're a short line skier, you're probably not skiing behind an iRide...

Also, the pylon on top of the illusion is pretty low compared to other towers. I think the Titan had several inches of height on the illusion. Good for wakeboarding and good for your noggin if you're tall. Mostly just personal choice though. I got the Illusion and I'm very happy with it, it gives you that "Malibu" look.

Badger: it sounds like it actually might be an 06 then based on your info about the graphics and tower. Let me ask you this, did you buy your iride new? If so why did you go with that tower? I know for a fact that the IllusionX was the standard in 08' and beyond? I think the IllusionX looks a lot better than the Titan (no offense, I might buy one too). Seems easier to fold down too. How easy is it to fold the titan? The dealer said he was still trying to figure it out.

I bought mine off the showroom floor, so didn't really have a choice. But I'd buy it again based on the fact that it allows for easier side entry into the boat off off my dock and I like the headroom. I have it in black now but would get a polished, stainless Titan next time to match the racks.

I think Bill's picture of a Titan 2 is close to representative of a 3, although I never fold mine, so I can't tell you how easy it is on a regular basis.

I agree with Cedar Lake that if you want the "Malibu" look you need the illusion. I'm the only Malibu on my lake anyways, so nobody knows what the Malibu look is.

Well, you all have helped out considerably and put my mind at ease. It's definately an 06. I still think that the Illusion X looks better, but I'm more of functional guy anyways and I plan to hang loads of boards, speakers, lights, maybe even a passenger if he messes up the boat, from the Titan tower. Wish me luck, I'm going to see it first thing in the morning!!