Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu is a whole different world....

paulq

Hi all,

I have a Ski Nautique generally used to wakeboard and skyski behind. There are many malibu's on my lake but Ive never had the pleasure of boarding behind one. Recently some people have told me that "Wakeboarding behind a Malibu is a whole different world". The insinuation is that it has a wake that is far superior to all other boats. Would you folks agree with that? Also is it the wedge that makes the huge difference? And last question is ... will the boats make a good wake using only the wedge, not adding balast at all ??

Thanks for your time....asking because with this kind of review ... im considering replacing my ski nautique with a malibu vtx. -Paul

every brand makes a great wake; malibu, cc, mastercraft, supra, moomba... you name it... to me, its all based on opinion. some say that cc is too rampy and that bu's are not rampy enough. it depends on what you like. wakes can be changed and reshaped by adding weight in different areas. for me, i love my bu. the wake is awesome, and my boat is a direct drive. with the wedge and ballast it makes a decent wake. the wedge adds shape by making the wake sharper/ more rampy. some people dont even use the wedge at all and just load it up with 2500+ of ballast. another reason i chose the bu' was the style/ features. it reminds me of a bmw in ways where as a moomba reminds me of a kia. it all comes down to you and what you like.

Yes the wakes are going to be shaped differently the Nautiques are more vertical

than rampy on the Malibu’s. With the Power Wedge you can mimic the steep vertical style or a rampy

style. The best way to measure if it’s something you’ll ultimately like is to test drive.

In any vdrive you’ll want front ballast if nothing else that’s the most important

imho.

You should drive/ride behind one, give your local Malibu dealer a call. If your in the Seattle area we can line up a demo for you so you can see first hand how a Malibu performs.

-Paul

every brand makes a great wake; malibu, cc, mastercraft, supra, moomba... you name it... to me, its all based on opinion. some say that cc is too rampy and that bu's are not rampy enough. it depends on what you like. wakes can be changed and reshaped by adding weight in different areas. for me, i love my bu. the wake is awesome, and my boat is a direct drive. with the wedge and ballast it makes a decent wake. the wedge adds shape by making the wake sharper/ more rampy. some people dont even use the wedge at all and just load it up with 2500+ of ballast. another reason i chose the bu' was the style/ features. it reminds me of a bmw in ways where as a moomba reminds me of a kia. it all comes down to you and what you like.

I have a DD also and was wanting to use lead bags for ballast so I won't compromise room in the boat. Do you guys think 400lbs under rear seat, 200lbs in ski locker and 200lbs in bow will make a significant difference in the wake for wakeboarding? My thoughts are to put everything in the rear to wakesurf also, is 800lbs on the reaer surf side enough to produce a big enough wake to go ropeless?

Thanks

AF1

I have a DD also and was wanting to use lead bags for ballast so I won't compromise room in the boat. Do you guys think 400lbs under rear seat, 200lbs in ski locker and 200lbs in bow will make a significant difference in the wake for wakeboarding? My thoughts are to put everything in the rear to wakesurf also, is 800lbs on the reaer surf side enough to produce a big enough wake to go ropeless?

Thanks

AF1

surfing in my boat is a no go... i have tried with stock ballast and about 10 friends on one side, but the wake just wasnt there. but that many people, ballast, and wedge together makes an awesome wakeboard wake for a dd

I would say that response is actually backwards if your talking about wakeboarding. Nautique's are different from everything else...at least the old 210 hull was. That 210 wake was BY FAR the steepest and hardest wake in the market, really really nice for an advanced rider and quite unfriendly to a beginner. As far as the newer hulls I cannot comment as most I ride behind usually have somewhere around 3k of extra ballast. The old 210 wake was the only wake that actually required adjustment to get used to riding.

Thanks

AF1

For my response I put the wedge all the way down, 2-400 lbs. in the bow (depending on how full the boat is, I usually only have two inches of freeboard and I dont like to get any less than that), and about 400-600 lbs. in the rear. For surfing, I make sure I have at least 300 in the bow, 400 in the back, and then as many people as I can on that side of the boat.