Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

winter storage of skis/boards- temperature concerns?

davemac

Possibly a stupid question, but are there any legitimate concerns over storing skis, boards etc in an enviroment that will likely fall below freezing (i.e. -over garage storage)?

TIA

Dave

Well, I had a bad experience, but can't say for certain it had anything to do with temp. But I know ever since I try to avoid it if possible. I had a new ski that I stored over my garage first winter I had it. Next spring, I found the rubber overlay all cracked. And it was completely dry prior to storage. It was essentially replaced under warranty. It may have been a product issue and completely unrelated. But I won't store anything up there anymore. I keep my cheap combos in the boat and have never had a problem with those. I think I even left my good ski with replacement bindings in the boat once too. It's stored indoors, but unheated.

I keep all of my equipment in a boathouse that is not heated and it gets well below freezing (Near Chicago). I haven't had any problems. The rubber might dry out a little faster, but I've had a lot of stuff out there for years and don't have anything negative to report.

Dealer told me to pull my boots off my board if I was planning on storing it in the boat all winter with it outside. Figure the chance of dry rot is enough that I can store a pair of boots in the closet for the winter so i dont have to buy another pair. Probably wont hurt, but not worth the risk if ya ask me.

Keeping any rubber items (drysuits, wetsuits, bindings, etc.) in a garage where petroleum products are used isn't a good idea, summer or winter. The fumes tend to break down the rubber causing them to fail early, cracks, separate, etc.

Any cores that still have water in them when they freeze could have a tendancy to crack & fail too. For instance, if you have an older ski, maybe has a couple extra screw holes in it from old bindings being mounted in it, maybe you take it out around Christmas to ski as Santa Claus, or around New Years to be the first one on the lake for the new year. Then you put the ski back in the garage. Come spring time, it could be cracked because it didn't have a chance for the core to dry out before it froze.

Keeping any rubber items (drysuits, wetsuits, bindings, etc.) in a garage where petroleum products are used isn't a good idea, summer or winter. The fumes tend to break down the rubber causing them to fail early, cracks, separate, etc.

Bill's right, We see a lot of dry suit seals go bad because of petroleum exposure in a shed/garage.

Other than the normal, shower, heater cores, and engine damage, I personally have not seen any "gear" get damaged from freeze damage.

Hope this helps

-Paul

I have had wooden skis delaminate and split at joints, quessing moisture was still in the wood. All my equipment now goes into the basement for the winter. Even my removable and unboltable (is that a word?) boat cushions.