Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering question

2006 VLX with 650 hours.

Question is: At wakeboard speed there is about 1-2 inches of "play" or "slop" in the steering wheel in each direction. We have also noticed in the last 200 hours that there is a rattle noise coming from the steering column when "getting up out of the hole". Steering wheel still turns very easily; not the hard to turn wheel characteristic of a steering cable needing replacement.

Any suggestions on the nature of the problem or the fix?

Thanks to The Crew as always,

Frank Stich

My 2004 LSV had the same rattle. Replacing the tilt steering hardware and helm assembly fixed it. However, there was never any slop in the steering. Not even at 850 hours.

I would adjust the trim tab on the rudder and it will take all the slop.

I'm not sure how the play would be tightened up by adjusting the trim tab if there is play between the rudder and the steering wheel. That is what I would find out first "where the play" is actually at. Just my $.02

Is there that much play at all speeds? or just wakeboard speed? If its at all speeds then you may just be too neutral, which is what that tab on the rudder is for as mentioned above.

Thanks to all the crew again for the help. I had forgotten about the flex joint that must be in the steering column. That will be the first thing I take apart later this week.

Frank

sometimes the rattle during holeshot is just the steering rack / pinion and can be fixed by loosening the rack mounting boats, rotate it slightly and retigthen