Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V Ride Prop

So I have decided to pull the hard tanks in my VRide this winter and install either 440 or 750 bags in the rear and some extra weight in the bow. For all the VRide guys that have pulled there tanks, what prop are you running or recommend with the extra ballast?

I did the same thing as you are doing and still use the same prop. I haven't had really any instance where I wish I had changed the prop. If you have the money to blow or need a spare, then yes, the 1235 is the way to go from what I've read.

I'd suggest running the stock after your changes and see if you really want a different prop.

Toby, many of people have put the 750 in place of the tanks and I had done the same at first. What I found out was that I needed even more (500lb) weight up front and in the end it burned a ton of gas. Then I changed out the bags for the 440s and couldn't be happier with the wake for boarding or surfing. As for props I run the OJ 475 but if your looking for more hole shot then the 1235 would be next in line. But IMO you may have a chance of hitting the Rev limiter with that one. I do know ACME makes on that is about the 475 but not sure of the spects off the top of my head.

Toby, many of people have put the 750 in place of the tanks and I had done the same at first. What I found out was that I needed even more (500lb) weight up front and in the end it burned a ton of gas. Then I changed out the bags for the 440s and couldn't be happier with the wake for boarding or surfing. As for props I run the OJ 475 but if your looking for more hole shot then the 1235 would be next in line. But IMO you may have a chance of hitting the Rev limiter with that one. I do know ACME makes on that is about the 475 but not sure of the spects off the top of my head.

Or split the difference between the 1235 and the 475 w/ the OJ468..... :)

Sorry to say but the 468 is the next step down (low end) from the 1235 from my testing.

I dont think its possible to fit 500lbs under the seats up in the bow, Dontknow.gif I'd like to keep everything hidden as much as possible so I am not taking up all my seating.

How do the 440's work for surfing? Right now I throw a 580 bag in the rear next to the factory tank thats why I was going for the 750's for a 1 bag setup. What are you running for a surfing setup?

Is it difficult to fill the 750's half way and get an even wake for wakeboarding?

I did the same thing as you are doing and still use the same prop. I haven't had really any instance where I wish I had changed the prop. If you have the money to blow or need a spare, then yes, the 1235 is the way to go from what I've read.

I'd suggest running the stock after your changes and see if you really want a different prop.

Are you using the wedge or just full ballast?

OJ 468 and it works great

I got 750's in the rear lockers and even with the lcr and full ballast my boat doesn't struggle to get moving.

Edited by johnsvt

Sorry to say but the 468 is the next step down (low end) from the 1235 from my testing.

*cough* Whoops been awhile since I looked......it has a smaller diameter, lower pitch and larger cup area.

Prop# Dia Pitch CUP

1235 14.5 14.25 .105

468 14.25 14 .110

475 14.25 14.5 .090

What about the Acme 1273?

I think the cup is .150

Would that help retain the top end and get a better hole shot?

Are you saying the 1273 spec is 14.5 14.25 .150? If so then yes the extra cup would help out the top end. I have not heard of any one running that one yet and one of my fears with a prop having a greater cup size is that when the thrust is pushed past the wedge that is would into create a higher roost and wash out part of the wake. Like I said, I don't have fist hand knowledge of this prop but would love to put it to the test.

Well I just ordered one so I will get a seat of the pants and some real world trial this weekend

Both wakeboarding and surfing.

What is your fear with the power wedge?

Do you think the rooster tail will get wider or taller?

Do you think the added force will be detrimental to the wedge? We only use it for surfing @ 11 MPH

Well I just ordered one so I will get a seat of the pants and some real world trial this weekend

Both wakeboarding and surfing.

What is your fear with the power wedge?

Do you think the rooster tail will get wider or taller?

Do you think the added force will be detrimental to the wedge? We only use it for surfing @ 11 MPH

No fear or problem will happen to the wedge or atleast I don't feel their would be. When I had tested the 537 13.50 16.00 .105 cup to the 1161 13.50 16.00 .135 cup I had noticed when I had the wedge down that the roost was a little taller and the center wash out (white bubbles) was back further and in the boarders riding area. Yes with the extra cup I did gain 2-3MPH.