Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond vs. Wake Hulls

WakeGirl

Update. I have finally gotten in a few runs behind my VTX Wake Hull, and have to say it is great. I did bump my speed up to 31 from 28 and I shortened the rope to 65 feet from 75. This made crossing the wake much easier. I'm not skiing a course or anything, but I am cutting hard and don't need to slow up much as I cross.

Maybe when I'm up there next time I will take a run behind my buddies VTX CD and see if I can tell the difference.

I have the diamond hull on my 08 VTX. Seems to be a great all around hull. With no ballast in my tanks and wedge up it's a pretty smooth wake behind at 35 -40.

• 5 weeks later...
heres my cut dimond vtx at 30 mph, 75 ft rope

Shocking.gif That's a lot of rope. :lol:

I don't remember the last time I saw someone ski with 75'. Whenever I buy a new rope that first 15' section gets pulled off immediately for use as a dock rope. Not a bad looking wake for a V-Drive.

Ah, I use a 75' rope is there something wrong w/ that...

Seriously? I thought you were running at 15 off (which would be 60'). And no, there's nothing wrong with it. I never said there was anything wrong with it. Don't get your panties in wad there Sparky. I just said that it's a lot of rope.

The guys that I've been skiing with lately are running 32 & 35 off (which would be 43' and 40' of rope, respectively) so 75 just looks really long. I personally am getting a little more consistent at 28 off but not getting enough water time with all of the rain / snow to make much improvement.. Ranting.gifFrustrated.gif

Although 75 feet is the official "starting length", it is an awful lot of rope. IE, in a tournament, you get the same buoy count for running full line as 15 off UNTIL you reach your age division's max speed. Shorter rope = more rhythm, less forgiveness.

• 2 weeks later...

Shocking.gif That's a lot of rope. :lol:

I don't remember the last time I saw someone ski with 75'. Whenever I buy a new rope that first 15' section gets pulled off immediately for use as a dock rope. Not a bad looking wake for a V-Drive.

what wake?? Thumbup.gif

• 1 month later...

I'll weigh in here. I have a '06 VLX with a Diamond hull and it's ok for skiers above 30mph, but anything less is a substantial bump. At wakeboarding speeds with the wedge, ballast, and people the wake is big enough for anyone but a pro. I have a buddy with a '05 23' LSV and my wake is bigger. For us this is a great option because we only ski occationally, otherwise were surfing or wakeboarding. When in doubt-demo, demo, demo.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I'll weigh in here. I have a '06 VLX with a Diamond hull and it's ok for skiers above 30mph, but anything less is a substantial bump. At wakeboarding speeds with the wedge, ballast, and people the wake is big enough for anyone but a pro. I have a buddy with a '05 23' LSV and my wake is bigger. For us this is a great option because we only ski occationally, otherwise were surfing or wakeboarding. When in doubt-demo, demo, demo.

I'd like to see pics of both your wake and the LSV that it's beating. I own an LSV and I find it hard to believe a diamond hull would beat it out. Are we comparing your sacked out wake to a stock LSV by chance?

• 3 months later...

We are looking at buying our first wakeboard boat for our family. The one we are interested in is a 2003 Malibu LSV. From the specs on this website, it shows to be a diamond hull. Our son has growing passion for wakeboarding and only wants to get better. Any opinions from wakeboarding standpoint if he will be disappointed in the diamond hull?

We are looking at buying our first wakeboard boat for our family. The one we are interested in is a 2003 Malibu LSV. From the specs on this website, it shows to be a diamond hull. Our son has growing passion for wakeboarding and only wants to get better. Any opinions from wakeboarding standpoint if he will be disappointed in the diamond hull?

diamond hull doesn't make much of a difference until you're up to skiing speeds. I'd bet the vast vast majority of people couldn't tell the difference of wakeboard wake.

The diamond hull will take a bit more weight to get the same non-diamond hull wake but most probably wouldn't notice the difference. The faster you go the more noticeable it becomes but unless you running 23+ mph it really isn't much of an issue. Technique is most important, while large wakes are fun and make tricks easier it isn't necessary for many. I'd make sure you pick up a boat with the wedge or at least the wedge plate. Factor that into the cost ~1,500 for wedge plate and wedge foil or ~600 for just the foil.

I have a 2010 LSV with the diamond hull. This is our second Bu, our first was a 2003 we ordered with a diamond hull as well. We went to the Bu from a direct drive. My wife is an avid skiier and I was an avid skiier until a few years ago. I still ski at least one time every time we go out. We both ski at about 34 mph. Both of us have skiied behind other malibus with the wake hull (VLX and Vride). There is clearly a difference. Not only in the size of the wake, but also in its shape. The diamond hull gives a much softer wake at skiing speeds and is no where near as rampy. Although it is not as good a ski wake as our DD was, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better ski wake on a V-drive. If you ski on a semi-regular basis, I would definitely go with the diamond hull. Also, I would doubt, unless you're a pro, that you will notice any difference between the wake and diamond hulls for boarding and surfing.

• 2 months later...

Might I throw in my 2 cents in as well,,,???

I know the thread is old, but you never know....maybe someone is still interested in the original dilemma....

....I too tried to compromise boats since I 1st had kids and needed room and still wanted to ski myself....I am 56 now and about 15 years ago, I decided compromise never worked....It wasn't till I finally decided I needed and bought 2 boats that I and everyone else was finally happy.....the big buck is in the booze, cruise, roomy stereo toting V-Drive surfing/wake boarding machine....so put your $$$ there....and go find yourself an INEXPENSIVE closed bow direct drive ski boat (you know, the one nobody wants) LMAO....

and take that boat out when it is calm and you want to just lay down your shoulder on a single stick....you may even find a partner or two to go in with you on that closed bow....for a measly $5,000-$8,000 and about $225 worth of insurance a year, you can have your cake and eat it to.....

...if you can't find that inexpensive DD to add to your fleet, let me know....I can help.....

Just my humble opinion....

Might I throw in my 2 cents in as well,,,???

I know the thread is old, but you never know....maybe someone is still interested in the original dilemma....

....I too tried to compromise boats since I 1st had kids and needed room and still wanted to ski myself....I am 56 now and about 15 years ago, I decided compromise never worked....It wasn't till I finally decided I needed and bought 2 boats that I and everyone else was finally happy.....the big buck is in the booze, cruise, roomy stereo toting V-Drive surfing/wake boarding machine....so put your $$$ there....and go find yourself an INEXPENSIVE closed bow direct drive ski boat (you know, the one nobody wants) LMAO....

and take that boat out when it is calm and you want to just lay down your shoulder on a single stick....you may even find a partner or two to go in with you on that closed bow....for a measly $5,000-$8,000 and about $225 worth of insurance a year, you can have your cake and eat it to.....

...if you can't find that inexpensive DD to add to your fleet, let me know....I can help.....

Just my humble opinion....

That works for a small percentage of boat owners, and I understand that a dedicated DD ski boat will be better than any V-drive. But you have to look past simply the initial cost of the boat and insurance:

- Two boats to maintain - in both maintenance and repair. That 5-8k boat is going to require some additional maintenance as well

- Storage - now you have two boats to deal with. Space, if you don't have it. Indoor storage issue if you want/need that as well

- Travel - want to go on vacation for a week, two boats to deal with, or having to leave one home

- Use. Want a day on the lake, but have to choose one.

Personally, I slalom an open water, slightly better than beginner set every other time I take the boat out, so a dedicated slalom boat would be worthless. But even if I did slalom more, I still would have troubles justifying it. I have more than enough space, and am only 4 minutes from where we usually boat, but 2 boats is a lot more work to deal with, and I'd always question which boat to take.

A boat that can do it all has a lot of advantages. Not for everyone, but for most.

That works for a small percentage of boat owners, and I understand that a dedicated DD ski boat will be better than any V-drive. But you have to look past simply the initial cost of the boat and insurance:

- Two boats to maintain - in both maintenance and repair. That 5-8k boat is going to require some additional maintenance as well

- Storage - now you have two boats to deal with. Space, if you don't have it. Indoor storage issue if you want/need that as well

- Travel - want to go on vacation for a week, two boats to deal with, or having to leave one home

- Use. Want a day on the lake, but have to choose one.

Personally, I slalom an open water, slightly better than beginner set every other time I take the boat out, so a dedicated slalom boat would be worthless. But even if I did slalom more, I still would have troubles justifying it. I have more than enough space, and am only 4 minutes from where we usually boat, but 2 boats is a lot more work to deal with, and I'd always question which boat to take.

A boat that can do it all has a lot of advantages. Not for everyone, but for most.

I agree with you as well, and it is not for everyone....but is is for a few of us at our marina....

we are fortunate to all dock at a marina (so no trailering boat(s) to and from anywhere....and we all have two slips for our boats, and we all have a place to stay at the marina as well, Some in modular homes and others in full size campers....so I guess we are spoiled...and we all love not having to compromise.....hence the two boats

But hey this is BOATING isn't it? and we as boaters can justify our habbits.....just ask us....haha

and we all know what BOAT stands for right?!

B break

O out

A another

T thousand.....

enjoy...............

Edited by JB-FOOT
  • 9 months later...

OK everyone, I'm digging this up. I'm looking at an 01 Wakesetter VLX, and possibly an 01 Sunsetter VLX. The only real difference I see between the two boat is the Wake is on the Wake hull, and the Sun is on the Diamond hull. I ONLY Wakeboard and Surf BUT I am a intermediate wakeboarder at best. Am I going to be dissapointed with the diamond hull? I have to think its going to be epic compaired to my Skier...

I think you thunked right, as long as you're ready to put in some ballast you'll have a 100x better wake. 750 on each side of the locker and 400 up front. if you're crazy and love it the next steps for surfing are 350 in the middle (ski locker) and 400 on the wall on the side you're surfing an boom you're rocking. EVER WITH THE DIAMOND HULL! :lol: p.s.: wedge on either? cause the wedges rock on these older boats!...and what if you ever start skiing?! then, you'd like to have a diamond hull! :footing:

OK everyone, I'm digging this up. I'm looking at an 01 Wakesetter VLX, and possibly an 01 Sunsetter VLX. The only real difference I see between the two boat is the Wake is on the Wake hull, and the Sun is on the Diamond hull. I ONLY Wakeboard and Surf BUT I am a intermediate wakeboarder at best. Am I going to be dissapointed with the diamond hull? I have to think its going to be epic compaired to my Skier...

You will be super happy with the diamond hull. IMO, the SV23 Diamond Hull is more desireable than the SV23 Wake - AS LONG AS IT HAS A WEDGE. The hull needs the wedge badly for the proper lip on the wakeboard wake and push on the surf wake. It's a very versatile hull. I have a buddy who has skiied for a long time behind his dad's 80's Supra DD and prefers the wake on our Sunsetter.

I have a DD on the Diamond hull. 500lbs in the trunk, 400 midship, and the floating wedge (no crew except driver) and I can surf and board with a respectable wake. Add 3-4 buddies and the wake far exceeds my intermediate ability. I have a few buddies that can throw just about any trick behind my boat, with the exception of a double front or powerball.

You will be super happy with the diamond hull. IMO, the SV23 Diamond Hull is more desireable than the SV23 Wake - AS LONG AS IT HAS A WEDGE. The hull needs the wedge badly for the proper lip on the wakeboard wake and push on the surf wake. It's a very versatile hull. I have a buddy who has skiied for a long time behind his dad's 80's Supra DD and prefers the wake on our Sunsetter.

them be fighting words :rofl: