Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterization Modification

SunriseH2OSkier

I am going to tackle this mod soon. Am I correct to assume that quick connects with an automatic shut off valve are "bad news" for this project? I am guessing we need to be sure to get quick connects that do not have an automatic stop valve (like this one)

Also, can somebody assure me that all the air in the empty lines does no harm to the engine when you reconnect?

Thanks!

I actually used those quick connects, but I don't count on them to stop the water supply, I have valves installed to shut off the water on the supply and return as close to the ends of the run as possible.

Also, I installed one of those hose washers that have a screen to filter out "junk". I've actually had the heater stop working once because I sucked up something that clogged the screen. I'd rather rinse that screen that clog the heater core.

Air in the lines makes no difference, The water pump will force water into the heater quickly and the return in the 'Y' pipe to the raw water intake is pretty small. some air may initially mix in with the raw water, but it's not a big deal.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/22/2010 at 4:45 PM, WakeGirl said:

Depending on where you live, not getting all of the water out could mean disastrous results. We had a stretch of weather up here earlier this winter that didn't get above 15 degrees for a week straight (there were areas in the region that saw lows go below 40 below zero a couple of those nights). I wouldn't have wanted to wonder through that stretch if I'd gotten all of the water out of the block. Granted, that's an extreme example, but at least where I live if I'm going to winterize, I'm going all the way.

OHH, I wish I didn't live in Canada!!! no water should be in my boat past November 1 to ??Mid April??.  I skied in November once and April several times, but that is really rare. This is all excellent information.  I am really tired of paying a company to winterize my boat.  I event tried paying a couple different mechanics $1k to show me how.  None would...  I winterized pools for a job, but have yet to work up the confidence to do my boat.