Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Underwater lights

HicVic

Anyone know if the under water led lights on the transome are different on the new 2009 models than previous models. I've been told that the new 2009 ones are much brighter.

Thanks

Paul

Anyone know if the under water led lights on the transome are different on the new 2009 models than previous models. I've been told that the new 2009 ones are much brighter.

Thanks

Paul

Good question that's what I am wondering. I ordered them on my 09 it should be here soon i will keep you posted

There was a change to some much brighter LEDs from 07 to 08. I haven't heard of another change for 09.

I have the 08s on my Vride & they are pretty bright. You can see them in my gallery.

There was a change to some much brighter LEDs from 07 to 08. I haven't heard of another change for 09.

I have the 08s on my Vride & they are pretty bright. You can see them in my gallery.

Plus1.gif our 08 LSV are pretty darn bright. They look sweet in the water.

No change for 2009, they are the same as 2007 and 2008 and yes they are bright!!! I'm still waiting for somebody to put 4 on the back of their boat!!

back in 06 when they had the little 3 LED lights, they were not all that bright but they still lit up the lake ok.

Here are some pictures from our online store of the 07-09 lights lit up at night http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=828

-Paul

The stock lights were a piece of cake. Drilled 6 holes, 4 for the screws & 2 for the wires. Filled them all with white silicone caulk, ran the wires to the dash & hooked them up to one of the ACC switches. Took me maybe 30 minutes.... and 1 beer.

CIMG0948.jpg

CIMG0947.jpg

No change for 2009, they are the same as 2007 and 2008 and yes they are bright!!! I'm still waiting for somebody to put 4 on the back of their boat!!

back in 06 when they had the little 3 LED lights, they were not all that bright but they still lit up the lake ok.

Here are some pictures from our online store of the 07-09 lights lit up at night http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=828

-Paul

I think I want to be that guy! Do you recommed that they be installed end to end or one above the other?

Looking at the Bakes site, it says they are $139.00 and only sold in pairs. Does that mean they are $139.00 per pair?

Thanks a bunch,

Josh

The way I read the ad, "*NOTE: Sold Separately, NOT as pairs Bakes Price: $139.99", $279.98 for a pair.

I have mine mounted like Bill_AirJunky, but further apart so there not blocked by the wedge plate when it up. I'm also going to be mounting a second set further down in the water as one of my winter projects.

The way I read the ad, "*NOTE: Sold Separately, NOT as pairs Bakes Price: $139.99", $279.98 for a pair.

I have mine mounted like Bill_AirJunky, but further apart so there not blocked by the wedge plate when it up. I'm also going to be mounting a second set further down in the water as one of my winter projects.

That's the way I read it as $139.99 each; that's alot of money for a light! Cool idea...Hey Bill_Air Junky did you remove your wedge for the picture only or do you just not use the wedge at all? And also do you use the lights alot...just trying to justify the cost of the lights.

Very cool picture on Bake's online of the boat in the water with the lights on!

Edited by The Hydro Foiling Plumber
Hey Bill_Air Junky did you remove your wedge for the picture only or do you just not use the wedge at all? And also do you use the lights alot...just trying to justify the cost of the lights.

I don't use the Wedge due to the performance problems at the speeds I ride at - 25 - 27 mph. I run the ballast full & the wake is pretty good, plus the boat still performs.

As for the lights, their really just the kind of thing used when your booze cruisin at night. It's definitely not the kind of thing to get if you need to justify it. I originally got them because I thought it would be cool for late night swimming, but the truth is they attract a lot of fish, and no one wants to swim with the fish around. In hindsight,I like the effect & the attention they get on the lake on summer nights.

That is the first thing I want to add to my vride, underwater lights. Are these hard to install yourself? How expensive are a set of 4 or 6 or however many you think I would need?

Thanks

-Paul

I think I want to be that guy! Do you recommed that they be installed end to end or one above the other?

Looking at the Bakes site, it says they are $139.00 and only sold in pairs. Does that mean they are $139.00 per pair?

Thanks a bunch,

Josh

nemire,

The lights are not hard to install, it just takes time and yes you have to drill a hole all the way thru for the wires and then drill two screws on each side of the light to hold them in. They would probaly take 1-1.5 hours to install, i can walk you thru install if you need any help? The most important part is sealing them with the correct sealant that can be used under the water line. Like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1105

Olivertuft,

Four Under water Lights it is!! You are going to have a amazing summer next year, when we get all the installs done i will give you a call to check things out before it goes away into dry storage. Congrats again on the new boat and thanks for all your business! Your VLX is going to be dialed in, I will take care of it!

-Paul

Hey Bill_Air Junky did you remove your wedge for the picture only or do you just not use the wedge at all? And also do you use the lights alot...just trying to justify the cost of the lights.

I don't use the Wedge due to the performance problems at the speeds I ride at - 25 - 27 mph. I run the ballast full & the wake is pretty good, plus the boat still performs.

As for the lights, their really just the kind of thing used when your booze cruisin at night. It's definitely not the kind of thing to get if you need to justify it. I originally got them because I thought it would be cool for late night swimming, but the truth is they attract a lot of fish, and no one wants to swim with the fish around. In hindsight,I like the effect & the attention they get on the lake on summer nights.

I was thinking of taking the wedge off of my boat, I notice the spray that it puts out when sky skiing, I am going to take it off before we start skiing in the spring.

You make a good point about the lights; I bet it does look cool on the water.

Have you installed any interior LED? I have an older bu and the lights that are installed on either side of the boat are dome lights with standard type bulbs. The current lights don't put out a lot of light and I have seen some LED strip lights at various non-marine places. I just thought I would throw this out there to see what others have done.

That is the first thing I want to add to my vride, underwater lights. Are these hard to install yourself? How expensive are a set of 4 or 6 or however many you think I would need?

Thanks

-Paul

Thanks a bunch,

Josh

nemire,

The lights are not hard to install, it just takes time and yes you have to drill a hole all the way thru for the wires and then drill two screws on each side of the light to hold them in. They would probaly take 1-1.5 hours to install, i can walk you thru install if you need any help? The most important part is sealing them with the correct sealant that can be used under the water line. Like this: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1105

Olivertuft,

Four Under water Lights it is!! You are going to have a amazing summer next year, when we get all the installs done i will give you a call to check things out before it goes away into dry storage. Congrats again on the new boat and thanks for all your business! Your VLX is going to be dialed in, I will take care of it!

-Paul

Thank you Paul.

I cant wait to see it when we get all the extras on board.

Tawni and I are looking forward to inviting you and Mrs. Paul out for an evening and dinner somewhere on lake Washington.

Regards,

JM

I was thinking of taking the wedge off of my boat, I notice the spray that it puts out when sky skiing, I am going to take it off before we start skiing in the spring.

Have you installed any interior LED? I have an older bu and the lights that are installed on either side of the boat are dome lights with standard type bulbs. The current lights don't put out a lot of light and I have seen some LED strip lights at various non-marine places. I just thought I would throw this out there to see what others have done.

Do a search for leds there are a few of us who have gotton a little carried away with them. well maybe not carried away but definatly lit up are boats.

Yea, the previous owner of my boat had installed blue interior LEDs on one continuous circuit that goes under the driver's dash, in the sides & bow. When I installed the transom LEDs I just tied into that circuit (since LEDs are such low voltage). The result is great at night & draws very little power. Plus the circuit with the factory incandescent lights is still in place, which is better if your actually looking for something.

We spent some time at Banks lake this year & the night cruising was a hit with all the LEDs.

Also, the propwash when the Wedge is down is unreal on a foil..... it'll throw you down if your not careful.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the new underwater lights i ordered from malibu for my 2005 Wakesetter. They are totally diffrent than the early o9's that we have seen on the boats. There is actually 9 leds in the light housing and the plastic is etched with the MALIBU logo. When I get a chance I will take a pic and post it. They are gonna be bright!!!!

We did get the larger 2009 under water light in stock. We're in the process of installing 4 of them on the back of customers boat currently. I will attach some pictures for you to see.

We (Bake's and the customer) decided to install these a little different than the factory has been doing it, we kept them at the same height but installed off to the sides by the swim step brackets to avoid some of the light getting blocked by the wedge foil.

We lit up one of the old lights and one of the new lights in the dark and there was a noticeable difference how much brighter the new ones are

- Paul

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1301

post-4023-1228164550_thumb.jpg

Paul, any idea if Malibu has/will release any color options? I would probably jump on those new LED's if they were red, it would be awesome to keep up the red trend with the interior lights...

Hi,

I am about to install these lights (9 led set) on my 2005 wakesetter. Was wondering if you used screws or bolts and nuts. What does the Malibu factory use? What size holes did you drill? Any pointers will be great.

Thanks

Paul