Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing behind a old school 88' Malibu Skier

martinarcher

Hello all!

We bought our first ski boat this last summer. It is an 88' Malibu Skier in wonderful shape with a new floor, stringers, and interior. I grew up sking/wakeboarding/foiling once a summer behind my uncles wakesetter and loved it. We have had a blast with our "new" boat for the last 2 months which went way too fast ( I was winterizing tonight :-( ). I've gotten hooked on wakeboarding and the boat seems to throw a decent wakeboard wake when I slow it down and set the tach at 2300 RPMs. Speedos say around 22mph, but not sure how accurate water speedos are(need to check it with my GPS). I threw a pic of the wake in to show the size - this was with my buddy and 95lb wife driving the boat (didn't marry her for ballast weight!! :) ). If you speed the boat up it is a fantastic slalom boat, but we haven't got the skies as wet as the boards though.

I guess I am looking for ballast advice and wondering if anyone else was trying to surf ropeless behind a similar boat and if they are having any luck. Thanks in advance!

Here's the boat...

DSCF0170-1000.jpg

Here's the wake...

DSC02139-1000.jpg

More wakeboarding....

DSC02155-1000.jpg

I've got a boat a few years newer than yours and although some people have sac'd these boats out enough to get some sort of surf wake, it's best to make friends with someone with a bigger boat and swap them pulls behind your great slalom boat for surfing sets.

We surf behind mine. The wake doesn't get very big, but it's enough to go ropeless. We use the 5'6" landlock and a smaller CWB Tsunami, and my 200 lb. friend can still go ropeless. I've pulled off one ropeless 360, but it took a lot of work.

What airport are you based at? My guess is you fly a Piper Archer. AGS LJ-60

Good eye. That photo is actually from the guy we bought the boat from. He works at an airport. I do fly, but I fly the RC type. Here's my biggest, a 100cc 30lb Ultimatre biplane made by BME / Performance Aircraft Unlimited.

IMG_0821-800.jpg

IMG_0891-800.jpg

IMG_0906-800.jpg

We surf behind mine. The wake doesn't get very big, but it's enough to go ropeless. We use the 5'6" landlock and a smaller CWB Tsunami, and my 200 lb. friend can still go ropeless. I've pulled off one ropeless 360, but it took a lot of work.

Cool. I think we will start with some ballasts next season to enhance the wakeboard wake and hope for enough to surf with. I have a feeling jcaksume is right and my boat isn't going to end up being a good surf boat no matter what I do.

How much ballast weight are you riding with and where is it placed?

Thanks!

I don't know the weight. We use bags, coolers, bins, people, pretty much anything we can. We even used a trash can once. :) I like to put 2 coolers on the swim platform. It helps keep water from coming over the transom (when we stop), and it helps keep the board from hitting the back of the boat. Most of the time we're only 1-4 feet away from the platform. I have an open bow, so we have weight up there too.

Good eye. That photo is actually from the guy we bought the boat from. He works at an airport. I do fly, but I fly the RC type. Here's my biggest, a 100cc 30lb Ultimatre biplane made by BME / Performance Aircraft Unlimited.

Keep enjoying the RC stuff and if you get the chance to fly the real thing go for it. There is no greater joy than slipping the bonds of gravity. I guess that is why I enjoy wakebording.

IMG_0821-800.jpg

IMG_0891-800.jpg

IMG_0906-800.jpg

Cool. I think we will start with some ballasts next season to enhance the wakeboard wake and hope for enough to surf with. I have a feeling jcaksume is right and my boat isn't going to end up being a good surf boat no matter what I do.

Thanks!

You should be able to push a good wake out of your boat with 2 or 3 fat sacs, load up the rear corner. I know people that surf behind similar boats. My buddy surfs his closed bow Bu and I've surfed behind a 190 neither of which is known for producing huge waves but they work just the same.

You're going to want to find a board that works with a smaller wake as well, I'd recommend the Liquid Force Custom, Phase 5 Oogle or Hyperlite Broadcast (the bigger one)

I've really been loving the Ronix Caption, its smaller than the other boards I mentioned but it is SUPER fast. If your local shop has a performance garuntee give that one a try too.

Keep enjoying the RC stuff and if you get the chance to fly the real thing go for it. There is no greater joy than slipping the bonds of gravity. I guess that is why I enjoy wakebording.

Thanks!

I bet! Someday I hope to own the real thing, but RC is good enough for now. :-) I agree - must be why I crave a bigger wake and more air. :-)

You should be able to push a good wake out of your boat with 2 or 3 fat sacs, load up the rear corner. I know people that surf behind similar boats. My buddy surfs his closed bow Bu and I've surfed behind a 190 neither of which is known for producing huge waves but they work just the same.

You're going to want to find a board that works with a smaller wake as well, I'd recommend the Liquid Force Custom, Phase 5 Oogle or Hyperlite Broadcast (the bigger one)

I've really been loving the Ronix Caption, its smaller than the other boards I mentioned but it is SUPER fast. If your local shop has a performance garuntee give that one a try too.

That's what I'm hoping. I'm going to get some fat sacs this winter and play around with them next year. I'll have to post progress and how I do so others with similar Bu's will know.

Thanks for the board advice - that's something else I will need and know nothing about right now.

If you like getting air rather than buying the ballasts put the money in a Sky Ski. This would be something that you can do behind the boat you have and won't sacrifice the room with all of the ballast bags! And you obviously like flying so why not do it on a ski behind your boat....something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
If you like getting air rather than buying the ballasts put the money in a Sky Ski. This would be something that you can do behind the boat you have and won't sacrifice the room with all of the ballast bags! And you obviously like flying so why not do it on a ski behind your boat....something to think about.

True. My uncle has one - I might have to borrow it next season and give it a go. I thought about one of these babies too - it would be a blast....

http://wakekite.com/

I run 2 660lbs sacs in the back with a 300 lbs sac on the back seat and 400 lbs sac in the bow of my '88 sunsetter and we have no problem going ropeless on 4 9' broadcast guys with decent water sport experience can weigh up to 220lbs.On the 5 6' broacast we can sit down on it and just ride no need to even stand. We still put as many people as possible in it also. My buddy has a 05 wakesetter with ballast wedge and his wave is longer but no taller than mine. I surf 3 days a week behind mine with no problems at all just weight the s*** out of it. The rub rail is in the water and no decals are visible. Just keep adding weight! I have used garbage cans, cooler and people just to make it bigger. Never had much water either come over the sides.

I run 2 660lbs sacs in the back with a 300 lbs sac on the back seat and 400 lbs sac in the bow of my '88 sunsetter and we have no problem going ropeless on 4 9' broadcast guys with decent water sport experience can weigh up to 220lbs.On the 5 6' broacast we can sit down on it and just ride no need to even stand. We still put as many people as possible in it also. My buddy has a 05 wakesetter with ballast wedge and his wave is longer but no taller than mine. I surf 3 days a week behind mine with no problems at all just weight the s*** out of it. The rub rail is in the water and no decals are visible. Just keep adding weight! I have used garbage cans, cooler and people just to make it bigger. Never had much water either come over the sides.

n880980320_3853103_7570.jpg

This pic is an 88 sunsetter with about 6 people and 2200 lbs ballast

When properly weighted a wake like this you can make for wakeboarding.

n626191006_334083_1657.jpg

When properly weighted a wake like this you can make for wakeboarding.

n626191006_334083_1657.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. I've got a couple 450 lb side sacs coming. I think I'll buy a open bow sac and tuck it under the bow and play with weight balancing in the back. Thanks for the pics - looks like I have a good change of getting quite a bit more wake than I'm throwing now. Is it spring yet??? Dontknow.gif

hahahaha Not Spring yet, I figure I have at least 6 month to wait until the boat come out and the ice goes off......unless I can convince my wife that I need to take a trip to Florida and stop a O town watersports. I wish but it will be a a long winter at least there is hockey to play and maybe even a little snowboarding.

Okay, I can't stand it.

What a great find you have in your 88 Malibu Skier. I visited the factory in 1988 or so just as Malibu was getting into the direct drive business. I was down there to check out the nifty 18 foot Outboard they were producing at the time that would take a 200 hp outboard If I Recall Correctly.

Their bread and butter was their low profile no windshield boats and I think they may have offered an IO in that same boat. I ended up not buying one and I wish I had. They were just starting to sell the skier and sales were slow.

To my point. Your Skier has a low skiable wake because it is light weight by today's standards. Low cost boat and great wake: You won !

But now you are doing everything possible to make a big wake. Not unlike putting a Chevy 502 into a Mini Cooper. This "hurts my heart".

Please join the dark side and take up waterskiing. Your wonderful boat will love you for it.

Not to worry. I do my fair share of skiing as well and love it. I am getting into the slalom skiing on the course at our lake. I just wanted to see if I could make my boat a little more versatile. I figured if I can use the great ski wake the boat already puts out for skiing and enhance it for wakeboarding/surfing that would be great.

I saw a Gremlin at the strip with a 502 Chevy that would run 9's - sure it didn't come with a big block, but it looked awful fun! I guess I just want to make my boat do both, slalom wake and wakeboard wake. I know if I add weight I will get a bigger wake, thats just physics - more boat in the water makes the wake bigger. I just started this thread to see if anyone had tried it with this boat.