Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cover

lf133

I am talking to a guy that has a cover for sale and he said that it is off a 23 ft 2002 VLX. I did not know that there was a 23 ft VLX and I have a 2000 Wakesetter Escape 23 ft. My first thought is that the Hulls are going to be too different to use the cover on my boat because I think it is probably a 21 foot boat. Am I wrong? Will it work, was there a 23 ft VLX?

Any help would be great.

I talked to the guy it is a 2002 LSV with a Swoop Tower, Mine is 2000 Escape with Tuna Tower. (Not sure if that is the correct name for the tower I have). Will it work?

Edited by lf133

There was never a 23' VLX (the VLX nameplate has only been used on 21 and 21.5' long boats). You need to confirm whether his boat is a VLX or is 23' long. If it's a VLX then it will fit your boat okay, but not perfectly (the top deck of the VLX was redesigned in 2002, and became deeper). If it's 23' long, it won't fit at all.

Honestly, I would skip it and look for something else. What is your budget?

There was never a 23' VLX (the VLX nameplate has only been used on 21 and 21.5' long boats). You need to confirm whether his boat is a VLX or is 23' long. If it's a VLX then it will fit your boat okay, but not perfectly (the top deck of the VLX was redesigned in 2002, and became deeper). If it's 23' long, it won't fit at all.

Honestly, I would skip it and look for something else. What is your budget?

I talked to they guy and he said that he ordered the cover for a LSV but he had a VLX so the cover did not fit. But this should now fit my Waksetter Escape I think they the 2000 Escape and 2002 LSC have the same Hull. THe only problem now is that he ordered it for the Swoop tower and my tower it the Tuna type tower Are the mounting way off. If this will work it seems like a good deal 1 year old rankin cover for $200. Will the tower locations be way off?

Yea, tower locations will be way off. But any upholstery shop should be able to modify the cover for your tower. Might cost you $100 - $200. Off season is a great time to hit them up for this kind of work as their business slows down too.

That would give you a Rankin for 1/2 price...... not bad if you ask me.

Oh wow, I didn't see that it was a Rankin cover, that makes it a worth dealing with a little more. You need to find out what size LSV it was built for. They made both a 21' and a 23' model. The 21 is the same as the VLX, so it would make sense that the cover was built for that boat if he called it a VLX cover. If it was made for a 23' then it should fit your boat moderately well, but it definitely won't be a perfect fit, even when modified to fit your tower (which will take a fair amount of work).

I am talking to a guy that has a cover for sale and he said that it is off a 23 ft 2002 VLX. I did not know that there was a 23 ft VLX and I have a 2000 Wakesetter Escape 23 ft. My first thought is that the Hulls are going to be too different to use the cover on my boat because I think it is probably a 21 foot boat. Am I wrong? Will it work, was there a 23 ft VLX?

Any help would be great.

I talked to the guy it is a 2002 LSV with a Swoop Tower, Mine is 2000 Escape with Tuna Tower. (Not sure if that is the correct name for the tower I have). Will it work?

that's an LSV...the VTX is 21'6"....I wouldn't get it because that 1'6" is a lot extra....my cover is perfect and skin tight around the edges....I'd keep looking until you find something perfect----it's worth it...not sure about the towers........good luck

BP

that's an LSV...the VTX is 21'6"....I wouldn't get it because that 1'6" is a lot extra....my cover is perfect and skin tight around the edges....I'd keep looking until you find something perfect----it's worth it...not sure about the towers........good luck

BP

I'm sure that was just a typo....... but the VTX is only 20'. The 2005 - 2008 VLX is 21'6". The 2004 & earlier VLX is 21'..... and like 6" narrower.

I'm sure there are other dimensions that could allow it to happen or not. I think I'd get some accurate info from the seller & call Rankin & ask them if the two covers are compatible. If they are, I'd be willing to bet the cover can be easily modified for the tower.

And if you decide you can't do it, post it up here for someone else to take advantage of. Thumbup.gif

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Well I had him take some measurements and it looks like it is going to fit with no modification. We will see when I get it this weekend. If for some reason it will not work there will be a Rankin cover up here next week for $200 plus shipping.

Thanks for all the help.