Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help buying a V-Ride...

salsajs3030

I'm starting to look for a 2006 or newer V-Ride...any suggestions, anything I should look for, any owners have input on their V-Rides (maybe accessories you do or do not need on the boat)?

Price point is huge for me, otherwise I would go with a VLX...or better yet a VTX!

Any input would be much appreciated!!

I'm starting to look for a 2006 or newer V-Ride...any suggestions, anything I should look for, any owners have input on their V-Rides (maybe accessories you do or do not need on the boat)?

Price point is huge for me, otherwise I would go with a VLX...or better yet a VTX!

There are some very good priced VLX's for sale around here somewhere Whistling.gif .

What will be your primary uses? Wakeboarding, Surfing, Skiing, all of the above?

Love our 06 Vride and we use ours for everything.

As for accessories/options:

- wedge - definitely want it for wakeboarding and surfing

- MLS - rear tanks and center ballast

- bimini top - we use it all the time

- tie down cleats -- that is the one major accessory that we don't have and wish we did

- depending on where you live you might want the warm shower and/or heater

what things are you thinking you might not need?

What are you looking to spend?

- LCR is fine

- ballast is a must

- racks and bimini are a plus

- heat is soooo nice on early morning runs

- wedge shouldn't make or break a deal

Let me know if you like yellow. Whistling.gif

I have the 05. Tower was big for me. Titan does the job.

Rear ballast was an option on these boats. Probably something you will want.

Two engine options. I have the 340 hp Monsoon. Might be the best option if your planning on weighting the boat much.

Heaters & showers are great for off season riding. But they can be added easily if you find a boat that doesn't have them.

Bimini & cleats are great but again, their items that can be added.

Racks depend on what discipline your into.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Price range is 31-35...that's why I was considering the V-Ride.

I'm a seriuos wakeboarder and the boat would be used primarly for wakeboarding, and some surfing (mostly when the water is bad). I've heard the V-Ride puts up just as nice wake as the VLX, that's why I was leaning toward it.

Has their been any major Hull changes on the V-Ride since 2006?

Small accessories like cleats are a good suggestion. Boards racks and a stereo are a must...I'm just not familiar with what was offered in 06, 07, and 08 as opposed to the new models and whats advertised.

Edited by salsajs3030

No hull changes from 2005 - 2008 on the Vride.

In 2009 the Vride will use the 2005 - 2008 VLX hull (a bit wider, glovebox is different, etc.).

Stereo is the kind of thing that I'd buy aftermarket if it hasn't already been done by the previous owner. Your more likely to get a better system that way.

Even in the down economy, $31k - $35k is about at the low end of the price range. You might extend your search to the 04 & earlier VLX..... same boat. I believe the 2004 VLX is very close.

No hull changes from 2005 - 2008 on the Vride.

In 2009 the Vride will use the 2005 - 2008 VLX hull (a bit wider, glovebox is different, etc.).

Stereo is the kind of thing that I'd buy aftermarket if it hasn't already been done by the previous owner. Your more likely to get a better system that way.

Even in the down economy, $31k - $35k is about at the low end of the price range. You might extend your search to the 04 & earlier VLX..... same boat. I believe the 2004 VLX is very close.

Thanks Bill for the suggestions...I had heard the older VLX hull was the new V-Ride hull. Unfortunatly I am spoiled by riding behind some prime boats. Instead of over spend I am trying to compromise so I can get in to my own ride instead of always having to depend on others boats.

Yea, I hear ya. I have friends who own LSVs & VTXs. And frankly I would have bought one of them if it had not been for the bigger bottom line. The Vride fit my bill just about right...... like $15k or $20k less, 90% of the wake & bling, and all of the quality.

Bow rails (in addition to many of the above comments). The '05-'08 V-ride has a lower freeboard than the newer boats. Most women/kids want something safe to grab onto when riding up front.

LCR is just fine (even when loaded with fat sacs for surfing).

We have the power wedge on ours and use it a lot, but the floating wedge or manual wedge should be fine.

Also consider cage rollers on the trailer. The cage is ALWAYS bottoming out on something and those rollers are definitely saving the trailer.

Sunbrella cover (not the vinyl Malibu factor cover).

What is "LCR"?

So I know Soven rocked the V-Ride for a while so I know the wake can get pretty big and lippy, but how do you guys normally weight your boat? I would definitely re-prop the boat to handle the weight, but how big can you actually get the wake?

Also consider cage rollers on the trailer. The cage is ALWAYS bottoming out on something and those rollers are definitely saving the trailer.

Wow, haven't had any of that with the Extreme tandem. I even back up a hill to park the boat & it doesn't hit. You sure you have it setup with the right receiver? Maybe try getting one that is an inch or two lower?

What is "LCR"?

LCR is the base engine.... the 320 hp. Most guys reprop if their running the LCR & running a lot of weight.

I just run the stock MLS myself. I don't need the additional gas bill.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
What is "LCR"?

So I know Soven rocked the V-Ride for a while so I know the wake can get pretty big and lippy, but how do you guys normally weight your boat? I would definitely re-prop the boat to handle the weight, but how big can you actually get the wake?

I have mine weighted with 750's(maybe 500 ea) in each rear locker, standard middle tank, integrated bow sack(3-400?), plus about 200lbs of lead up front and the wake is very nice. When we get 3-4 adults in the boat the wake has good size and can easily get up over the knee and is ridable to 80'. I don't know many guys that ride much further back Dontknow.gif ...in my area. I repropped the boat with an OJ 468 and never have an issue getting on plane.

You say you're getting the boat for riding?

Don't pay extra for a heater! If it's already in the boat your buyin...it's a plus

Find one with a power wedge, you'll be amazed how much more firm the wake is...and the wake is way more 'poppy' than a weighted, non wedged boat.

I weight the crap out of my 07 (with LCR) for surfing, and have never needed/wanted more power....go with the LCR if it saves you $

Stereo can always be added after you buy it......and if you want a real nice one, you MAY HAVE to take it in to a stereo shop anyway.... so don't even let that affect your decision.

Bimini is nice, but can be added later.

Board racks are the easiest of all accessories to add, don't let it affect your decision.

*** I didn't see where you were located at, but I saw an 07' vride, black and white, LOADED.....with like 30 hours on it on Portland's Craigslist for about 34k....I'll try to find the link and post it.....

WEIGHTING: for wakeboardin we fill rear and mid stock ballast, wedge half way down, 500lb fatsac in bow

for surfin: all ballast full, 300lb in surfside rear locker, 500lb on surfside floor, 300lb in compartment under glove box, 500lb in bow surfside....no wedge

I'll look for that link...........

We just bought a boat and considered the V Ride. For wakeboarding, it should fit the bill nicely. When we were looking, there were quite a few 04-05 VLX's in the mid 30's and several 06 VRide <$36. There are some good options out there for the money you are looking to spend. I would definately opt for the full ballast and some wedge of some kind. With a load, ballast, and wedge the either a V Ride or a VLX is going to have a pretty monster wake. I was skeptically of the LCR since our last boat had the 340 monsoon, but we took out our new boat on sunday with the LCR and I couldn't tell a difference. It performed excellent.

Thanks Guys! BS001 -great info, thank you much! ...I am located in Southern California, fyi.

I'm used to a pretty big wake (buddies boats), so now I'm thinking about waiting a little bit and picking up a VTX, a VLX would be too large for me and too much $$...Sounds like the LCR is the way to go to save some money too.

"2007 MALIBU VRIDE WAKEBOARD BOAT (90 HRS) STEAL!!! - $34000 (OREGON)" WOW!!

Can you guys comment on the wake difference of a Vride to VTX?

I like to ride at 24 mph at 82.5 feet if that helps...? I have ridden behind a VTX and really liked it -thought the Vride couldn't be too much smaller, and for the money the best bang.

Should I hold out for a VTX?

Edited by salsajs3030
Thanks Guys! BS001 -great info, thank you much! ...I am located in Southern California, fyi.

I'm used to a pretty big wake (buddies boats), so now I'm thinking about waiting a little bit and picking up a VTX, a VLX would be too large for me and too much $$...Sounds like the LCR is the way to go to save some money too.

"2007 MALIBU VRIDE WAKEBOARD BOAT (90 HRS) STEAL!!! - $34000 (OREGON)" WOW!!

Can you guys comment on the wake difference of a Vride to VTX?

I like to ride at 24 mph at 82.5 feet if that helps...? I have ridden behind a VTX and really liked it -thought the Vride couldn't be too much smaller, and for the money the best bang.

Should I hold out for a VTX?

FYI a V-ride and VLX are about the same size. What's to big about a VLX?

06VLX..

I was inquiring about the wake -how does the VTX compare to the V-Ride? Is it a huge difference?

Edited by salsajs3030
06VLX..

I was inquiring about the wake -how does the VTX compare to the V-Ride? Is it a huge difference?

Considering the 08 VTX has an additional bow ballast tank (300 lbs?) that my 05 Vride doesn't have, I was expecting the wake to be bigger. But the wakes were pretty close to the same, possibly a bit wider behind the VTX at 80' back.

The main difference I saw was in the size of the interior & the little blingy touches all over.

If you were to swap out the factory rear tanks for 400 or 750 lb bags, I would expect that bow ballast to become more necessary though.

Here is the VTX wake

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/message...html?1225226935

Here is the V-ride wake

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/565610.html

I'd say they are pretty comparable. You won't get a VTX for a deal like you will a V-ride. So really what is "to big" about a VLX?

I will also add that a VTX or VLX has a much nicer interior than the V-ride. You'll see that for yourself when you go to start looking at them.

Edited by 06vlx
06VLX..

Considering the 08 VTX has an additional bow ballast tank (300 lbs?) that my 05 Vride doesn't have, I was expecting the wake to be bigger. But the wakes were pretty close to the same, possibly a bit wider behind the VTX at 80' back.

The main difference I saw was in the size of the interior & the little blingy touches all over.

If you were to swap out the factory rear tanks for 400 or 750 lb bags, I would expect that bow ballast to become more necessary though.

Bow ballast doesn't add size to the wake on my boat. That being said, I try to run as much as possible to take the steepness out of the wake. Also, bow weight will make the wake firmer. I have talked to many people about the difference between vride, vtx, and vlx wakes. My conclusion is that they, the wakes, are different but easy to get used too and typical malibu friendly. I would really say your choice is going to come down to crew size, budget, and how much bling you need.

Here is the VTX wake

Here is the V-ride wake

I'd say they are pretty comparable. You won't get a VTX for a deal like you will a V-ride. So really what is "to big" about a VLX?

I will also add that a VTX or VLX has a much nicer interior than the V-ride. You'll see that for yourself when you go to start looking at them.

Vride wake looks familiar...

06VLX..

Just to piggy back a bit on what BillAir was talking about...........the more weight you put in the front of the boat, the wider the wake will be.....There is about a 4' difference (width wise) between when I have a 500lb bag in the front of my boat and when I don't.........so I think the wider wake that Bill was mentioning could be due to that stock front ballast in the new VTX..........

and I ride at 80' back 24mph (07 vride)........and the wake is PLENTY big, super clean, and rock hard....

Also, maybe someone smarter than I can answer, Does Malibu claim the VTX has a more wakeboard specific wake (larger,cleaner) than the Vride? I've never really heard anyone mention that?

Here is the VTX wake

Here is the V-ride wake

Vride wake looks familiar...

Good thing you didn't have that pic TM. It was the best one I could find, you have it dialed in pretty good.