Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 bolt wedge

Lance B. Johnson

My 05 Vride has 2 screws on each side holding the horizontal foil portion of the wedge to the uprights. I believe the newer Wedges have 3 screws. Seems like it would be a fairly easy project to drill & tap a couple more holes.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
My 05 Vride has 2 screws on each side holding the horizontal foil portion of the wedge to the uprights. I believe the newer Wedges have 3 screws. Seems like it would be a fairly easy project to drill & tap a couple more holes.

Yes, I have read that these two bolt wedges are prone to failure and drilling and tapping another bolt hole would certainly be an option. I was wondering if Malibu has produced a better quality or higher grade fastener to address the issue, or are we on our own?

Trying to address the problem before it fails..........

.........wondering if Malibu has produced a better quality or higher grade fastener to address the issue, or are we on our own?

Trying to address the problem before it fails..........

I have to imagine you just answered your own question, dawg. Definitely worth being proactive about it.

What exactly do you mean by 2 bolt Wedge, and which fasteners are you talking about?

Like Bill said I am referring to the bolts that fasten the wedge plate to the supporting arms. I have worked the automotive industry for a long time and when we get fasteners that break or sheer, generally the solution is for the manufacture to provide an improved fastener to fix the problem.....just wondering if malibu has done the same.

Ah ha! Well technically those are screws, where-as the mechanical fasteners that secure the uprights to the bracket on the transom are bolts (with nuts).

You could probably drill and tap some additional holes, but if you do that, there is absolutely no way Malibu will cover ANYTHING that happens under warranty. Whether or not that's worth it is tough to say.

Hmm, I can't imagine it is still under warranty is it?

Screws.......Bolts whatever (getting a taste of my own medicine today) I correct students all the time...... Biggrin.gif

Almost 4 yr old boat still under warranty? Technically no. But they have been known to warranty this issue after the warranty is over. There are others who have not had that kind of luck too.

You sound like the kind of guy who can take care of this as well or better than your dealer. Might be a good idea to make that happen. I think they call that CYA. Whistling.gif

Malibu just replaced my 2 bolt wedge for a 3 bolt one after I had the 2 bolt snap on one side and bent one of the arms that come off the transom.

One of my bolts sheared on my 4-bolt (2005) wedge. Fortunately, I caught it before the others went.

Apparently, the replacement bolts are titanium.

One of my bolts sheared on my 4-bolt (2005) wedge. Fortunately, I caught it before the others went.

Apparently, the replacement bolts are titanium.

Okay so there are replacement bolts. I will call the dealer and see what they have to say. I can buy 6 do the bolts and drill and tap.