Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 V Ride Throttle

The throttle in my 06 V Ride will not stay in positilon when trying to run just past (faster) idle speed. I have to hold the throttle in place when going at this speed. I have the bu at the dealer now and he is telling me that is normal for this throttle. I have been in several other bu's and no have acted this way.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any resolution? I don't think that what the dealer is telling me is correct!

The throttle in my 06 V Ride will not stay in positilon when trying to run just past (faster) idle speed. I have to hold the throttle in place when going at this speed. I have the bu at the dealer now and he is telling me that is normal for this throttle. I have been in several other bu's and no have acted this way.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any resolution? I don't think that what the dealer is telling me is correct!

My 06 VLX is the same way. It's even so loose up on plane that if I hit a wave it will push the trottle down faster. Do you have that issue?

My 06 VLX is the same way. It's even so loose up on plane that if I hit a wave it will push the trottle down faster. Do you have that issue?

Havent see that yet. I almost think that there is a spring in the throttle that is too tight.

You two have different throttles. The 06 VLX is a throttle by wire. That boat should go in for a return spring so that it does not ever increase speed on its own.

The vRide has a manual throttle and shift, and that throttle should Always spring back to idle speed unless held. Any pre-FBW throttle was designed to have back pressure on the throttle, although when brand new some would not until broken in.

Peter

You two have different throttles. The 06 VLX is a throttle by wire. That boat should go in for a return spring so that it does not ever increase speed on its own.

The vRide has a manual throttle and shift, and that throttle should Always spring back to idle speed unless held. Any pre-FBW throttle was designed to have back pressure on the throttle, although when brand new some would not until broken in.

Peter

Peter,

You would know better than I, but I'm pretty sure my '06 iRide (and this would apply to '06 vRide) is throttle by wire (not shift by wire though).

To the OP, I have the problem with the throttle bouncing back to idle when it's just over idle speed as well. It doesn't happen once I get to cruising speed, only just above idle. The throttle units in the ride series seem to be different than the other Malibu boats. I have used the throttle in a few other non-ride malibus and the throttle is smoother and easier to adjust in minor speed increments. I think the throttle must be one of that areas they cut corners in order to reduce the price of the ride series.

Peter,

You would know better than I, but I'm pretty sure my '06 iRide (and this would apply to '06 vRide) is throttle by wire (not shift by wire though).

To the OP, I have the problem with the throttle bouncing back to idle when it's just over idle speed as well. It doesn't happen once I get to cruising speed, only just above idle. The throttle units in the ride series seem to be different than the other Malibu boats. I have used the throttle in a few other non-ride malibus and the throttle is smoother and easier to adjust in minor speed increments. I think the throttle must be one of that areas they cut corners in order to reduce the price of the ride series.

That is just what mine does. I do not have to hold the throttle in position anywhere but just out of idle. Anytime I am at crusing or riding speed it is fine. I am trying you get in touch with the factory now. I will let you know the outcome.

I can idle with my vride fine but when trying to go 6-8 mph I have to hold the throttle in place.

I have had the same problem with my 06 v-ride. I also have a problem with the boat pulling hard to the left .I was also told this was normal. I have tried to set cruise at 6-10 but no luck. this my first boat so i don't have much to compare to.

Had my throttle replaced last winter because it would go full throttle from hitting a wake at cruise speeds. Also would not hold at speed control setting, always crept back until it fell out of set speed range. Warranty took care of it. My 06 VLX had about 400 hours on it at the time. I think they all loosen up with hours used.

Edited by dalt1
Seems funny how everyones throttle works different and a lot of people are saying that it is normal.......mine does whatever I ask it to idle or not.... Dontknow.gif

Ruffdawg,

you are the first person I know to say this. Look at Johnsvt's explanation above. Can you really put yours at 6-8 MPH (just above an idle) without the throttle bouncing back to an idle (4-5 mph typically)?

Peter

Peter,

The ride series does not have the FBW.

As for the OP, totally normal. Just get used to having that one hand on the throttle.

-Chris

Peter

Peter,

The ride series does not have the FBW.

As for the OP, totally normal. Just get used to having that one hand on the throttle.

-Chris

Chris,

I still disagree. 2006 had precision speed control as a standard. I don't think they made precision pro to work with any system other than TBW.

Seems funny how everyones throttle works different and a lot of people are saying that it is normal.......mine does whatever I ask it to idle or not.... Dontknow.gif

Ruffdawg,

you are the first person I know to say this. Look at Johnsvt's explanation above. Can you really put yours at 6-8 MPH (just above an idle) without the throttle bouncing back to an idle (4-5 mph typically)?

Yes sir, no problem. It does not back off, but it seems there is some tension pulling it back........kind of like it wants to back off, but it doesn't. 190 hours on the boat.

I own a 07 Sunscape 23 LSV and my throttle also backs off at a fast idle. It also goes to idle if I hit a big wave. I was told by my dealer that there was no way to fix this because it was a safety feature that Malibu puts in their throttles in case someone falls asleep at the wheel or some other accident occurs. Anyway, my dealer said he would tighten it up a bit, but in rougher water I still have to hold onto the throttle. Very annoying.

I have an 07 V-Ride (FBW throttle)

I have the same problem as Jimmypooh above.

If we're cruising along and hit some rough water the throttle will just drop to wide-open-throttle. Scary as hell.

Took it to the dealer and they said there is no adjustment possible because its the Flybywire throttle and all digital.

If we're cruising along and hit some rough water the throttle will just drop to wide-open-throttle. Scary as hell.

Took it to the dealer and they said there is no adjustment possible because its the Flybywire throttle and all digital.

This seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. Anyone know a good lawyer? Whistling.gif

My '02 Sunscape 23LSV had the same problem, but my '08 Wakesetter 23 seems to be better at holding speed without holding the throttlle. By habit from the previous six years, I still hold on though Dontknow.gif

Mike

Had my throttle replaced last winter because it would go full throttle from hitting a wake at cruise speeds. Also would not hold at speed control setting, always crept back until it fell out of set speed range. Warranty took care of it. My 06 VLX had about 400 hours on it at the time. I think they all loosen up with hours used.

dalt i hear what you are saying....

i'm torn on what to do. i'm not having any cruise control problems.

boat only has 55hours on it.

My dealer had no problem replacing mine under warranty.(Thanks Pirates Cove) Had it done in the off season, No missed time on water.

dalt i hear what you are saying....

i'm torn on what to do. i'm not having any cruise control problems.

boat only has 55hours on it.

My dealer had no problem replacing mine under warranty.(Thanks Pirates Cove) Had it done in the off season, No missed time on water.

malibu should come up with a fix for this or we'll have boats known as the ones that have the bad throttle. All those excuses are just bs ie. made that way ,better for saftey. Malibu needs to step up find the cause and fix it. I always thought malibu was better than that.

My first Malibu was a 1987 malibu skier with the mercruiser power plant. That unit held any speed without any help from me. Now I have a 2004 sporster with the indomar power plant. At wake board speed or slow speed, I have to hold the throttle lever in place to keep it from returning to the idle speed. At slalom speed, it stays in place. My dealer told me that it has a strong return and this was designed that way for safety. After 4 years and 120 hours, you kind of get used to this characteristic. A small price to pay for such a good fun boat.

My '08 Vride which I know has throttle-by-wire (but no shift by wire) does the same thing. When running just a little above idle (I'm talking below 6 mph) I have to hold the throttle in place. At greater throttle angles from vertical, it holds itself.

I'm assuming this is normal.

Edited by Cory

On my 2008 VTX the throttle was perfect and held any speed until the new recall throttle was put in and then I would have to hold the throttle to keep it just above idle or it would drop back to idle. Real pain when trying to get back to a fallen rider quicker than idle.

I opened the throttle up thinking there was a spring to adjust or something and there is not one. There is a compression type washer under the throttle shaft and that seemed to be caught under the plastic ring that holds the washer down. I unstuck the washer and when put back together again it seemed the throttle shaft was a little bit tighter and now I am back to holding what ever speed I want, even just above idle.