Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mushroom anchor

Greg_S

I have a box anchor and its by far the best type I've ever had. I need a second anchor and I don't want to spend another $180 for another box anchor that I'm only going to use when we're out for the day and need more than my spike anchor at the sandbar. I usually leave my main anchor where we are staying to hold our spot and not have to go through pulling it up every time we leave.

I'd like to get a mushroom one if they work because they fit in the front and only cost $40 or so.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Greg

I had one for my RLX. Worked OK as long as there was no wind and no current (but then why would you need an anchor if no wind and no current??).

I use the mushroom type anchor with my VLX and it works OK. I wouldn't trust it with high winds, but with up to 10-15mph winds, I would thinks it'd be OK. It got pretty gusty on the last evening of the SE WOW, and I noticed the anchor had started to move, but it took about an hour or so before I got too worried about it.

It really would be for shorter stops in still lagoons or to hold one end at the sandbar. I think I'm going to give it a try and if it doesn't work well enough, I'll get a box.

Thanks!

I used one for my waverunner.

Maybe if your out in the open it would be OK but I wouldn't trust it to hold my boat from grounding or hitting another boat.

I use a 16 lb. like the one in the picture on the front of the boat and if we are at an area that is a good distance from the shore I drop a 10 lb. mushroom straight down off the back to keep the boat from swinging otherwise I tie the rear to the shore.

Edited by RiverRunner

I have a 20 lbs "river anchor". It looks like a mushroom but has petals cut out of it. The harder the wind blows the deeper it digs into mud and sand. We have plenty of wind here in Oklahoma and I have never had it drag across the bottom of the lake more than 2-3 feet before it caught for good. In fact, I thought I would have to cut the rope and leave it on the bottom on more than one occasion because it had dug in so well.

I don't see why one would need an expensive, bulky anchor for boats our size. Maybe someone can fill me in. Stupid.gif

I have a 20 lbs "river anchor".  It looks like a mushroom but has petals cut out of it.  The harder the wind blows the deeper it digs into mud and sand.  We have plenty of wind here in Oklahoma and I have never had it drag across the bottom of the lake more than 2-3 feet before it caught for good.  In fact, I thought I would have to cut the rope and leave it on the bottom on more than one occasion because it had dug in so well.

I don't see why one would need an expensive, bulky anchor for boats our size.  Maybe someone can fill me in. Stupid.gif

Me too...mine might be a little heavier, but it's a simple river anchor. I also use an anchor buddy line off the bow, and tie the stern line off at the shore. don't have any problems with it moving during the day or overnight on rough, chopped up lakes.

This summer I started connecting the shore line to the anchor buddy line while I was out on the water - makes it much easier to connect back up on the turn (thanks to the TMC tips on an earlier thread on this topic Clap.gifClap.gifClap.gif ).

I have a 20 lbs "river anchor".  It looks like a mushroom but has petals cut out of it.  The harder the wind blows the deeper it digs into mud and sand.  We have plenty of wind here in Oklahoma and I have never had it drag across the bottom of the lake more than 2-3 feet before it caught for good.  In fact, I thought I would have to cut the rope and leave it on the bottom on more than one occasion because it had dug in so well.

I don't see why one would need an expensive, bulky anchor for boats our size.  Maybe someone can fill me in. Stupid.gif

Me too...mine might be a little heavier, but it's a simple river anchor. I also use an anchor buddy line off the bow, and tie the stern line off at the shore. don't have any problems with it moving during the day or overnight on rough, chopped up lakes.

This summer I started connecting the shore line to the anchor buddy line while I was out on the water - makes it much easier to connect back up on the turn (thanks to the TMC tips on an earlier thread on this topic Clap.gifClap.gifClap.gif ).

Us three...ours has worked fine so far and fits conveniently in the cooler in the front of our boat. Leftover water flows nicely into the ski compartment and hence to the bilge...

I have something called a river anchor that seems to work ok if I anchor in shallow enough water (need more rope and some chain). However, even when I have it set with the right scope in the rope it will get pulled around on a windy day.

Does anyone have any experience with something called a Richter anchor? http://www.richteranchors.com/ Looks impressive to me.

I have something called a river anchor that seems to work ok if I anchor in shallow enough water (need more rope and some chain).  However, even when I have it set with the right scope in the rope it will get pulled around on a windy day. 

Does anyone have any experience with something called a Richter anchor? http://www.richteranchors.com/  Looks impressive to me.

Does not look like it would do very good in a sandy bottom.

Our portable slalom course uses the river anchors. There are many times we have to work very hard to get the anchors off the bottom. They work very well for the slalom course.