Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dr. Mini gives it up!

beef

Zeppos said Michaels doesn't expect his dishonesty with the water-skiing world will affect his dental practice.

"There's a pretty clear divide between what happened with his skiing and his dental practice," Zeppos said. "In his mind, there is no correlation. It's a practice built on experience. He's an excellent dentist."

Ohhhhkaaaaay.....

Seriously, maybe he is an honest dentist. But c'mon, are we supposed to be convinced of that based on what the offender thinks/says? Lame.gif

I'm glad that this has turned out the way it has. In today's world of dodging personal responsibility ("I'm not a crook" and "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"), at least that guy owned up to his misconduct. I'm glad he admitted it. I'm glad AWSA suspended him and stripped all records from him. That's what should happen. That's what's best for the sport. He could have made it nasty and continued with the line about not knowing and this being a first time blah blah blah. That would have made AWSA's life tougher and hurt the legitimacy of the sport (from outsiders looking in). I don't want to see our sport go the route of basketball and baseball, who've compromised their integrity for the big money of TV and merchandising.

I agree, I am glad he came forward and admitted it. I can't help but wonder, what made him decide to come clean? Of course, it's entirely possible that his conscience got the best of him and he decided on his own that this was the right thing to do.

Okay, so he fessed-up because he was caught. Props to him for admitting it, but what if he would have actually won the competition? Would he have said anything if he got away with it? Doubtful.

If I was his wife I would hire a PI to check-up on his marital honesty.

People in the Milwaukee area who read this paper have been calling me and emailing me all morning asking if I knew about it. I've been showing them the pictures from the tournament. They can't believe it...

I understand them stripping his titles that he won at his private lake, but the titles or competitions he won other places, shouldn't he be entitled to them?

I am not saying to forgive him, nor to remove or reduce his suspension, I just think that anything he won before his lake was used for competition, he should be able to keep.

Just some thoughts.

All good comments. I, for one, am amazed that someone with his apparent ego problem ever admitted to any wrongdoing. I'm sure that his PR "consultant" urged him to do so.

To my knowledge, he never even competed (much less won) at any other site.

Okay, so he fessed-up because he was caught.  Props to him for admitting it, but what if he would have actually won the competition?  Would he have said anything if he got away with it?  Doubtful. 

If I was his wife I would hire a PI to check-up on his marital honesty.

The circle or trust has been broken....He wasn't even man enough to say it himself. Of course he only admitted to facts we already knew otherwise he'd have kept it to himself, what a punk. His practice will most likely suffer, I know if I was a paitient that I'd be weary that he was honest with me and billing correctly. I just can't trust someone like this. There are very few CLEAN and HONEST true competiors out there anymore.

I  understand them stripping his titles that he won at his private lake, but the titles or competitions he won other places, shouldn't he be entitled to them?

I am not saying to forgive him, nor to remove or reduce his suspension, I just think that anything he won before his lake was used for competition, he should be able to keep.

Just some thoughts.

Two points to this. Number one, I'm not sure how many records he has made on courses other than his own. Second, I have some friends in the business and they said that when he competed on other courses, he always insisted on using his own rope, which is somewhat unusual. Most use their own handle, but not their own rope. Could that rope length be suspect? Who knows with this guy.

Besides, striping records is not just a formality because the ones on his course are in question, it is a penalty for cheating.

Edited by summerfun
  • 9 years later...

This topic came up again this morning on our ski sets (as it does at least once a year in these parts). This, however, is the tenth anniversary (already) of the most sinister case of cheating our sport's ever seen.

Regarding the "Doctor," I'm not sure where his money comes from, but I've heard rumblings of him over charging, over-prescribing procedures, etc. He's know for flying his helicopter into his kids' soccer games, landing on an unused pitch, watching for a few minutes, and flying away when the cops show up. Also got a lot of negative attention for doing low passes and hovering over the PGA Championship a few years ago at Whistling Straits.

Never hear a peep from anyone about his skiing anymore. Certainly nobody I know has been to his property to ski since this happened ten years ago.