Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cope Mcphetres filing for bankruptcy?

bu2007vlx

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

• Pat McCrotch

• bu2007vlx

Personally I would love to see their monopoly broke up. The way they run their business I have found it shocking they are still in business...I guess a monopoly has its advantages.

2 years ago they built a brand new shop in Rocklin 3 times bigger than the original across the street. They have recently moved everything back and are relinquishing the lease. There are a lot of people who would like to sell Malibu in Nor-Cal and I know for a fact C&M has been a pain in Malibu's side for a long time. Let me rephrase that, C&M has been a pain in every company in the industries side for years. The only reason they play ball is because of the volume C&M does/did. Good riddance from someone who would love to hock a loogie on the C&M corpse.

Frank and Bob could always go back to being professional douche-bags. They certainly haven't lost any of their skills over the years.

So I'm guessing this "C&M" is a large boat dealer out there? I dont know what yall are talking about but im curious.... Can someone give me a quick summary about them and what ive missed?

Cope & McPheeters / Ultimate Water Sports are possibly the biggest dealers for Malibu & formerly Mastercraft out there. As mentioned, they have done tremendous volume for Bu & I speculate for MC over the years. MC pulled their dealership status late last year or early this year, so that left Malibu as their tourny boat to sell between both CM & UWS.

I don't think that it would be a stretch to call the CM/UWS chain one of the biggest boat dealer networks in the country.

There are a lot of people who would like to sell Malibu in Nor-Cal and I know for a fact C&M has been a pain in Malibu's side for a long time. Let me rephrase that, C&M has been a pain in every company in the industries side for years. The only reason they play ball is because of the volume C&M does/did.

I'll second that. My personal experience with the Renton, Woodinville, & Santa Clara stores was good when I owned my Prostar.

But all the manufacturers I know hated doing business with C&M. They were terminally late paying their bills & had unreasonable demands on the vendor.

And the way Frank handled the layoff of Seattle area employees showed noooo class.

I never liked C&M, HOWEVER, I do like some of the shop employees. Many of times they would go well beyond what was expected (or even allowed I suspect). I hope some other shops can pic up some of the staff as they were great people.

Well if your in the market for a new boat and in that area you should pay close attention. If it works like the Heckels bankrupcy, the boats will be returned to Malibu, and if your dealer will work with you, you might be able to score a great deal on one.

Good Luck

I agree that the shop people are great and go out of their way to help a customer, but does anybody know if this is true about C&M. I overheard some people discussing this and was blown away!!!!

Edited by bu2007vlx

So other than being a large vendor, unreasonable demands on the vendor, and a crummy lay off policy, why are they hated so much but the normal boat purchaser? Just so big that there was crummy customer service or what?

So other than being a large vendor, unreasonable demands on the vendor, and a crummy lay off policy, why are they hated so much but the normal boat purchaser? Just so big that there was crummy customer service or what?

They are also a bunch of crooks, not honoring things that were promised at point of purchase (They didn't install all the cleats on my boat then charged me to put the final pair on after it was thier fault for not originally having them) , pulling parts on repairs that actually had nothing wrong with them (pulled my whole water pump and charged me for it, but it really only was my impeller that needed a swap), and the most heinous of them all, didn't detail my boat after all the work (wouldn't have expected this but they said they needed one more day to finish it out, and detail it, so I couldn't pick it up on the friday I was supposed to leave on a trip and had to delay the trip, after they had it already 3 days longer than they said they would need it, so in the end a oil change and a water pump swap took them a week!) I also worked a number of tournaments that they used to put on at Bell Aqua and they are for the most part classless, especially Mike Mellow, hes a real piece of work. May they all rot! Couldn't have happened to a bigger bag of crappy people than them! Clap.gif thier gone and maybe we'll get somebody else!

I bought a ProStar from them in 2003 from the Renton, WA store. My main complaint was trying to get the thing serviced. They sold way too many boats for their service department to handle. For me they always got the work done it just took 6 to 8 weeks. Here in Washington we have pretty short summers.

Couldn't have happened to a bigger bag of crappy people than them!

LOL.

I bought a SLXI that was originally purchased from them by the first owner. I bought the boat with 5 hours on it. When I took it in for a bimini top, they told me they had a custom top that was designed for the SLXI and they would happily install it for me. I told them I wanted a top with all stainless fittings, not one with the crappy plastic connectors. They told me it was all stainless and was at their install site. I purchased it at the store (sight unseen) and then took the boat to the install site. They told me it would be a few hours, so I went off and made myself busy being about 1.5 hours from home. When I came back 2 hours later, they had done nothing. I was told to come back the next day and leave the boat. This time I called first and found they had still done nothing. Long story short, 5 DAYS later I was told to come get the boat. I drove to Fairfield and arrived as the Mexican guy was holding up two fingers under my windshield to get the precision measurement and started to drill the gelcoat..... I couldn't stop him in time.

Suffice it to say, the bimini was not the right size for my boat, mounted too far forward, made of all plastic fittings and mounted crooked to boot. In addition to that, they had done nothing for 4.9 days on the boat when I was told it would be a few hours and I could wait for it. I bitched and moaned about it, but all I got was a handful of stainless fittings for me to retrofit a crappy bimini with, that had been mounted all wrong.

Luckily, after I installed my tower and mounted the bimini on that, I was able to install pop-up cleats over the holes they made and cover the issue nicely.

Bastages.

Edited by jayjoans
  • 2 weeks later...

All I will say is that I met one of the Copes before and he wasn't really nice to me. Maybe he was having a bad day.

I know the Reno shop is struggling. Their Malibu dealership shut down months ago. Makes you wonder why Mastercraft quit doing business with them.

If the bankruptcy rumor is true, I can sum it up in one word: KARMA

Edited by twrv

Ya I agree it has been a long time coming for this company. They have black listed my company. I won't mention my company name. I do know we have superior products in this area and since one guy in there doesn't like me he has gone out of his way to keep business away from me.

I know the Manager of the Fairfield store is completely against me and the company. One day I had some friends passing out 5X7 club cards and they saw him pulling a new Bu. They didn't know who he was so they gave him a card. He ripped it up in front of them and said this stuff is junk. What cooth this guy has. He could have at least said oh thank you and threw it away later.

I wont mention names but I have heard through the grapevine that he has lost his wife and pretty much everything he owns. Karma got him I guess. I am sure he has treated other people really bad. I don't want to say he deserves it cause nobody does. I just wish people were not so Bias.

I have redone a couple other companies work on the boats. I don't glorify it or talk bad about them. I just make the customer happy. I can't believe these guys lie and cheat to get where they are going. I can't say enough about when you purchase equipment you get what you pay for. Fiberglass verses Aluminum, pre-fab boxes verses Custom built and fiberglassed boxes to keep water out. Just a huge difference.

Well Thanks for listening to my story with these guys. Oh I have bought every boat and piece of gear from them even though they have black listed me. The Monopoly

Edited by Pat McCrotch

I spoke at length to a guy at the Rocklin shop this Sat. It sounds like they are closing almost all of the stores they have opened in the past 3 years. They are definitely slimming down and have around 100 Malibus in stock right now. They are also only open Tues - Sat and almost everything in the pro shop is buy one get one free. He said they weren't going BK and that although it may get ugly they will make it through the season. I have my doubts. They are getting close to spending all their profit from boats on flooring and interest/taxes. I asked about an '08 VTX they had in stock. Pretty loaded up and the initial starting price he threw out was 46k. I imagine I could have easily gotten him to under 45k. I see them hanging on to the larger market stores for now but if the recession extends into the end of next season, it could get uglier.

Well I spoke with one of my friends/salesman at UWS over the weekend and he said ALL of the sales staff and employess at all UWS locations were laid off. The managers were retained just to keep the stores open for now.

He told me Copes/UWS filed BK last week. I heard the same thing through a friend that deals with someone in the corporate office.

I was at the Cope's in Santa Clara last Friday and just realized that they are calling themselves Boarders Paradise now Whistling.gif Talked to Austin Watts for a while (Good Guy) and looked at some of their stock, lots of great deals and boards, etc.