Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump????? Please help

Cry.gif I have a 340 monsoon in my 2002 VLX

The last few days I have been having trouble getting the engine started and also running a little rough after i get it started foir the first few minutes, then its fine. After reading through a few of the forums i fugured i was having dramas with the fuel pump. I.E the fuel vapourising due to heat (as i am in australia and its summer time) Also checked it with the local Malibu mechanic. After trying all the ideas im still having trouble. Would you recomend changing the pump?? it does look a little old. Is there a better pump available to replace with. I have only had the boat less than a week, the boat was serviced by a malibu agent before pick up, and the first 2 days of use there was no problems. Cry.gif

Have you replaced your fuel filter? That is what I would do first.

I was told the fuel filter was done on the service last week, but thanks i will check it in the morning.

Though I would think that if it was the filter or a blockage that it would run roughly all the time.

I thought the pump because it does make a different noise on the last time when it fires up???

But cheers i'll check it out

Have you replaced your fuel filter? That is what I would do first.

I was told the fuel filter was done on the service last week, but thanks i will check it in the morning.

Though I would think that if it was the filter or a blockage that it would run roughly all the time.

I thought the pump because it does make a different noise on the last time when it fires up???

But cheers i'll check it out

Also, ensure that the flow threw the filter is the correct direction. It will matter if it is directional.

If its vapor lock a new pump won't help. Try running the boat with the blower on and see if that improves the situation.

-Chris

Im pretty sure its not vapour lock, as the engine has not had a chance to get hot enough, i can still place my hand on the pump, also i have been running the blowers because that was my first thought.

Cheers

Hey boys, how about his screen in the fuel line at the fuel pump?

Jaybot, just as clarification and FYI, I believe you have the Monsoon 325 in your 2002.

Hey boys, how about his screen in the fuel line at the fuel pump?

Jaybot, just as clarification and FYI, I believe you have the Monsoon 325 in your 2002.

Ahhh

Thanks for the clarification mate.

Im still getting my head around this boat as it is new to me. Its looking more and more likea fuel pump issue as i go through the motions of fault finding. Im going to hit up the Malibu store today to see if they have on in stock. At the worst if it does not fix it, I will have a spare pump!!!!

Thanks for your help

J

Jaybot, I've heard others talk about a screen in the fuel line where it meets the pump. Have not worked on this myself. However, if you look there and find a screen, it may be clogged up and need cleaning. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jaybot, I've heard others talk about a screen in the fuel line where it meets the pump. Have not worked on this myself. However, if you look there and find a screen, it may be clogged up and need cleaning. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Hey guys

Thanks for all the help. I ended up replacing the fuel filter with a raycor filter. One with the catcher at the bottom to seperate the fuel from any crap such as water or mould etc. Cleaned out the lines and drained the tank. I also got an additive to put in the fuel to clean the injectors and lines. The old filter had a bit of s*** in it so Im hoping this will work. Tomorrow will be the big test. Fingers crossed all should be well.

Thanks again

Cheers

J Thumbup.gif

Good luck with her. Let us know.

Hey Guys

Had it out all weekend. After replacing the fuel filter etc she ran great. Still a couple minor sluggish times but through the whole weekend it only stalled once and ran fantastic. I think I have sorted the problem and its just a matter of the injectors cleaning out with the cleaner additive fully.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.

By the way great site guys cheers, I'll add a couple pice for you all to see

Cheers

Jay

Did you pull that screen out of the bottom of the fuel pump as Vin described. That's probably where the last bit of your problem lies. Most people chase their tales only to find that thing nearly clogged. It's amazing how much trash gets by the fuel filter and caught in that screen.