Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater core

arsenuts411

I was wondering where the heater core is located on an 04 malibu wakesetter. I guess i need to blow some compressed air into the hoses to get the rest of the water out to lay the boat up for the winter

On mine it is under the console right where the hot air comes out at... I blow the lines out for the engine.... while someone else will need to be more specific which hoses you take of... there is two house I take of the motor and then I blow the line out from the engine compartment, I then put anti freeze in an blow it out a few times to enusre if their is anything in there it is antifreeze.

On mine it is under the console right where the hot air comes out at... I blow the lines out for the engine.... while someone else will need to be more specific which hoses you take of... there is two house I take of the motor and then I blow the line out from the engine compartment, I then put anti freeze in an blow it out a few times to enusre if their is anything in there it is antifreeze.

Thanks for the info when you say you put anti freeze in till it comes out the hose that is cause its in a loop and if you put it in one end it will eventually come out the other end correct. Any idea the where abouts of those hoses as I plan to do this shortly once I get out of work?

Yes the loop goes from the motor to the heater core and back... You could disconnect at the heater core and drain but that is to much work for me... I never remember where the line is that comes back but the line I blow on is located on the top of the motor on the passenger side in the back corner. There is a tap of the top which points up, located on the top back above the water pump (point upwards from the top of the engine). Is about a 1-1.5" hose. Due to slop in driveway I cannot get the Afreeze to just flow back to I put some in them use compressed air to blow it out, do this a few times to make sure nothing or only AFreeze is left.

Others should be able to identify the return line location... I just figure it out each year.

Yes the loop goes from the motor to the heater core and back... You could disconnect at the heater core and drain but that is to much work for me... I never remember where the line is that comes back but the line I blow on is located on the top of the motor on the passenger side in the back corner. There is a tap of the top which points up, located on the top back above the water pump (point upwards from the top of the engine). Is about a 1-1.5" hose. Due to slop in driveway I cannot get the Afreeze to just flow back to I put some in them use compressed air to blow it out, do this a few times to make sure nothing or only AFreeze is left.

Others should be able to identify the return line location... I just figure it out each year.

Alright great I will also take a look at the cylmer manual and see if I can see where its at in there but I will just try and locate it by eye.

The heater supply line is a 5/8" hose. It comes off the motor as described above and returns either to the motor circulation pump or a Y fitting. On the 2004, there may be a Y fitting between the impeller and the tranny cooler.

Be careful with compressed air so as not to blow the core. I usually just huff and puff through the supply end.

Because my Y fitting is BEFORE the impeller, my heater will fill with AF as I run the boat during winterization. With this method I am pouring AF into the raw water intake and running it through the entire system.

I found that my core was installed with the hoses on the top, so it was never going to drain easily, but would require air or antifreeze to be pushed thru it. I pulled the core & flipped it around so it would drain anytime the hoses were pulled. Then I installed radiator flush Ts from a flush kit in the heater lines at the lowest point in the bilge. Now all I do is pull the caps & the heater dumps everything into the bilge.

Definitely worth checking out. I don't think many of the heaters are installed at the factory, but at the dealer. So there are probably 110 different ways to install the heater.

Heres a shot of the flush Ts too. I just reach down by the rudder & pull these caps & the heater dumps it's contents in the bilge.

post-821-1224539376_thumb.jpg

Bill, not sure about dealers installing them. My boat came from the factory with both heaters installed.

I have quick disconnects installed in the water hoses, similar to your flush Ts. Once disconnected I can blow through one of them. I have them rigged so that I can create a 'closed loop' on the engine side and the heater side.

Hey Jack,

I read about the quick disconnects in the sticky here on the Crew site. But I couldn't figure out how I was going to get two hands down there to reconnect them. As it is I only have to get one hand down there to remove a cap.

I like the idea of creating a closed loop. I installed a 3rd flush T up by the heater under the dash, thinking that I could push antifreeze from there & fill the core & a major portion of the engine if needed.

Wish I could find a quick disconnect for the v-drive now.

Yeah, you don't have the access that I do for reaching the hoses. That's an interesting idea of having a T at/near the core. Could even have a hose coming off that, tucked out of sight, capped on the end, and bring it out for use when needed. :)