Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

few things the winterization guide didn't cover

arsenuts411

I went through the guide yesterday and got the boat 90% winterized. The few things that I am unsure about is.

Showers

Ballast and drain and fill pumps

Bilge pump

heater

As far as the shower goes I was planning on just blowing air into both the hot and cold water lines and call it a day not sure if that is sufficient?

Ballast I drained it all the way and was going to leave the through hull valve open anything else I should do for the pumps? Should I take the hole ballast bag out? I am talking about the ballst in the ski locker in the mid boat?

Bilge pump I am not sure if there is anything that has to be done with that?

Heater I Have to locate the hose or hoses for that via the clymers manual. disconnect them and blow air through the lines. Anything else for the heater?

Also I see people using anti freeze even though the pdf that i was following says not to which is correct?

On the antifreeze debate you will hear both are correct. I didn't use to, but I do now, never had an issue either way. But with the shower I would recommend putting some at least through the heater core, you will never get all the water out of it.

For the shower shower I do exactly what you are doing.

ok so an update on what I did I blew the water out of the heater core then added antifreeze to till it came out the other hose.

The shower i blew compressed air out the cold water hose and the hot water hose I got nothing out of the shower is that normal?

So i guess the only thing that I need to know is how to winterize the ballast and pumps.

I am not sure if I have to remove the ballast or pumps do I run antifreeze through them? ANy insight will help i know most of you have ballasts on your boats someone had to have done this before.

You need to open the shower valves and take the shower head off. Then blow out the lines.

I would pump antifreeze through the shower too.

-Chris

Edited by 99response

Ok i am going to run antifreeze through the shower lines also.

I ended up pulling the ballast out of the boat and made sure that there was no water in the lines or pumps so that should be all set. So I am guessing that I am all set with the winterization

If you didn't do this already, the shower pump will easily suck antifreeze up. If you have your hot/cold supply lines disconnected, just drop them in the gallon of antifreeze and turn the pump on until it sprays out the shower head. You can adjust your mixer valve to make sure both hot and cold sides are full of a/f.

2 quick questions

1) where is the shower pump located the only thing that i see is the knobs to the hot and cold adjustments?

2) what is the best type of antifreeze to run through these lines anything special?

Plumbing anti-freeze. Eco-friendly type. Usually clear pink.
WHAT DAN SAID, RV ANTIFREEZE. ITS ABOUT 4.00 A GALLON AND WHEN YOUR READY IN THE SPRING YOU CAN EITHER RUN IT IN THE DRIVEWAY OR TAKE IT TO THE LAKE THE WAY IT IS. RV ANTIFREEZE IS BIO DEGRADEABLE

This is my first winter with my Malibu. With my old I/O, I would just run RV antifreeze through it without draining anything and I never had any problems. Obviously there are alot of additional concerns with the Malibu like the shower and heater and V Drive. But...has anyone NOT drained all of the water out and just used antifreeze?

I know it is best to error on the safe side and drain everything but it seems like a waste if the antifreeze is going through it.

If I'm in left field on this one let me know. Like I said this is a new to me.

This is my first winter with my Malibu. With my old I/O, I would just run RV antifreeze through it without draining anything and I never had any problems. Obviously there are alot of additional concerns with the Malibu like the shower and heater and V Drive. But...has anyone NOT drained all of the water out and just used antifreeze?

I know it is best to error on the safe side and drain everything but it seems like a waste if the antifreeze is going through it.

If I'm in left field on this one let me know. Like I said this is a new to me.

The pink RV antifreeze does not protect well when mixed with water in the block. You want as close to 100% antifreeze with that stuff as you can get.

Do the same test I did. Pour some of the pink stuff into a cup and put it in your freezer. You'll be surprised at how slushy it gets. So that with the fact that in my climate it gets colder outside than it does in my freezer, I'm not gambling with any dilution. Your climate may tolerate that.

As these guys said, you do NOT want the RV antifreeze diluted with water.

General points to ponder:

*If you are someone who does not use AF at all, did you get ALL of the water out of the block? I have a friend w/cracked block after only draining water, no AF.

*If you are running AF through, then draining, did you drain all the water from EVERYWHERE first? Showers, heaters, ballast, etc, etc. need the stuff too.

*If you are running AF through and leaving it in, same question as above. Leaving DILUTED RV AF in your system is not a safe option. The temp given (-50, -60 etc) is burst protection when used straight, but it slushes up/crystalizes at +10 or -5 respectively. Also, read the label carefully--the cheaper stuff is not necessarily safe for all metals nor is it anti-corrosive/anti-rust.

Happy winterizing.

Edited by VinRLX