Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Check enging warning

cjohnson8080

Before I take the Bu into the shop I wanted to check with the crew to see if there is anything simple I can check first......

Typical situation, set the cruise at 34mph and go for a few sets. When the boat gets up to speed the check engine warning comes on so my wife stops and it goes off. I tell her to give it another try, maybe just a malfunction. This time when she gets to speed it happens again and the boat slows itself down before she does. I get in the boat and on the way back to the house I get up to 32mph and it happens again so I putter in to the dock.

Does anybody have any quick tricks or checks I can make before I have to take it into the shop and basically end our season. Take into consideration that I am not that mechanical but can work my way around an engine enough to change an impeller, oil, etc.

The temp gauge was fine the whole time and there weren't any weird noises.

Thank you,

Charlie

Before I take the Bu into the shop I wanted to check with the crew to see if there is anything simple I can check first......

Typical situation, set the cruise at 34mph and go for a few sets. When the boat gets up to speed the check engine warning comes on so my wife stops and it goes off. I tell her to give it another try, maybe just a malfunction. This time when she gets to speed it happens again and the boat slows itself down before she does. I get in the boat and on the way back to the house I get up to 32mph and it happens again so I putter in to the dock.

Does anybody have any quick tricks or checks I can make before I have to take it into the shop and basically end our season. Take into consideration that I am not that mechanical but can work my way around an engine enough to change an impeller, oil, etc.

The temp gauge was fine the whole time and there weren't any weird noises.

Thank you,

Charlie

Hows the oil level? Ive had customers come in with similar problems and be a quart or two low.

What do you mean by the check engine warning? The buzzer? If so, there is only three things that will activate that buzzer. They are high coolant temperature, low oil pressure, or high transmission temperature. Unplugging any of these sensors one at a time will eliminate the buzzer and narrow down your problem.