Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Finally ran course!!!!

spinxt

Well, I've been skiing the course now for about 4 weeks. Last night I finally ran the course at 15 off 34mph Clap.gif .... up until then I was struggling with my timing and getting used to skiing at a longer line (I was free skiing way short). I feel like I can be pretty consistent at that speed/line length (did it 3 or 4 times last night)

Now what? Should I increase the boat speed or shorten the line? What's the next progression?

Well, I've been skiing the course now for about 4 weeks. Last night I finally ran the course at 15 off 34mph Clap.gif .... up until then I was struggling with my timing and getting used to skiing at a longer line (I was free skiing way short). I feel like I can be pretty consistent at that speed/line length (did it 3 or 4 times last night)

Now what? Should I increase the boat speed or shorten the line? What's the next progression?

Congrats! There is nothing quite like getting a new PB! I just had one 2 weeks ago. Definately work on shorter line lengths vs fast speeds. I ski all me passes at 34mph now. Even though 36 is really exhilerating, I can't progress at that speed as easily. Each new line length will bring new challenges, namely the gate and 1 ball. If you can get that down, the rest of the pass will follow. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Buoy Chasing!

Congratulations that is an excellent accomplishment.

Regarding speeding up or shortening the rope how old are you. If you are over 35 I would say shorten the rope. If you are under 35 and 36 mph is the max speed for your age I say speed up. My recommendation is learn to make the maximum speed at your age group then start shortening the line. I would also free ski at the higher speed so you are used to it.

Congrats on the run, We have a tradition of buying the boat driver a bottle of his favorite adult beverage. Sounds like you may be buying quite a few in the future.

So from what I can gather you have been an advanced free skier, just no course time. Knowing what I know now, I would tell you to keep running your 34 15's until your really consistant. Not consistantly making it, but making it clean, meaning gates and turns are all good. At 15 off you have time to make mistakes, but you also have time to think, and fix. When you start shortening your flaws are going to start showing, and its hard to fix an issue when you are running late.

Its really easy to scrap a run and then want to shorten it, but that doesn't really help. And unless your going to be running tournaments, I would stick to 34 for now.

You'll be into 28 off before you know it.

Closing advise: RELAX.

I'm a shortline freeskier who occasionally skies a course. Skiing shortline at 34 or 36 is way easier for me than if i went to anything 15 off. I think a pro would have a hard time adjusting to 15 off. It's sooo long.

If you plan on entering tournaments, there is a good progression, but I don't know what it is. If you are just hitting the course every once in a while like me, I ski it at 36, starting at 22 off. I'm totally un-interested in slow speed long line.

as everyone has mentioned its a matter of what you want to get out of it. if your under 30 and want to be half serious about it and do it as a sport go 36. once your comfortable with the speed in the course 34 feels slow. although i do love skiing 34 because it is sooooo much easier (for me anyway) and can easily ski a pass better than what i can at 36 first set out after skiing many sets at 36.

if its all about the fun and chopping line go 34... if you want to be serious about it as a sport, you have to go 36!

as everyone has mentioned its a matter of what you want to get out of it. if your under 30 and want to be half serious about it and do it as a sport go 36. once your comfortable with the speed in the course 34 feels slow. although i do love skiing 34 because it is sooooo much easier (for me anyway) and can easily ski a pass better than what i can at 36 first set out after skiing many sets at 36.

if its all about the fun and chopping line go 34... if you want to be serious about it as a sport, you have to go 36!

Put it this way...I don't see myself ever competing....

Put it this way...I don't see myself ever competing....

I guess it depends on what you want out of it. If you want to compare yourself to what others in your age bracket do even if you don't compete then I would go to the max speed for your age then chop the line. If what you want is to have fun then do whatever you want and enjoy yourself. Since you aren't going ot compete there is no wrong answer.