Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Abuse

johnsvt

My bad on the Tige vs Malibu. My point wasn't about the condition of a boat after it has been used as a pro boat, but rather that in Lyman's case, the boat manufacturer wasn't very pleased with the loss of the boat. That and other factors had some consequences for his sponsorships at that point in his career. Props to him for growing up and becoming someone who can better represent a sponsor.

Obski, do you work for malibu or have some interior information about their relationship that we dont know about or do you have something against the man? As far as I know Lyman, is NO different than 90% of other pro riders and their history with sponsor's boats, that on situation just got a LOT more coverage for some reason. Have you seen "juju" in the truth? Maybe chatted with some of these guys for a minute about these kinds of things?

Sorry if you take this as offensive (and hopefully you know more than you have written / implied)...But I am honestly getting sick of people who think that because they read wakeboard magazine and frequent a few message boards that the know "what's going on and all the angles in the sponsor-ship / wakeboard world". IMHO unless you actually work for malibu or know him personally and know specifically why, there is no reason to mention anything.

Obski, do you work for malibu or have some interior information about their relationship that we dont know about or do you have something against the man? As far as I know Lyman, is NO different than 90% of other pro riders and their history with sponsor's boats, that on situation just got a LOT more coverage for some reason. Have you seen "juju" in the truth? Maybe chatted with some of these guys for a minute about these kinds of things?

Sorry if you take this as offensive (and hopefully you know more than you have written / implied)...But I am honestly getting sick of people who think that because they read wakeboard magazine and frequent a few message boards that the know "what's going on and all the angles in the sponsor-ship / wakeboard world". IMHO unless you actually work for malibu or know him personally and know specifically why, there is no reason to mention anything.

Actually I spent a day with Keith 3 or 4 years ago and the boat incident came up in the conversation. So my information did not come from reading a magazine, but directly from Lyman himself. Again what I was addressing is why he had been having some difficulty with getting sponsorships.

I spent 2 days in that boat last summer, when G Nunn had it. It ran like a top, and he was good at keeping it cleaned up. Gerry was pulling it behind his diesel RV, and it got washed as soon as he rolled into town. He also had a complete 50 hr service done, as he did every time he was in town for Just Ride. I personally drove the boat as well, no issues at the time.

I can't vouch for Lyman, but Gerry took good care of it from what I saw. Gerry is by far the best inboard driver I have ever been around.

I have a pic somewhere too, will dig it up.

Edit, found it.....

I dont know what it is ,,, but seeing a dog in a boat makes me cringe everytime !

Actually I spent a day with Keith 3 or 4 years ago and the boat incident came up in the conversation. So my information did not come from reading a magazine, but directly from Lyman himself. Again what I was addressing is why he had been having some difficulty with getting sponsorships.

OB wouldn't say something like that without having firsthand knowledge, I've known him too long to believe otherwise.

Kent,

Must I compare Gerry's dog to some of them cornfed women you haul around? Whistling.gif

SNAP!! ROFL.gifROFL.gif

As a first year Malibu owner I will give my two cents.

For those of you who want to rip on the guy because you think he overloaded or was hard on his boat......You should STFU.

Since I have joined this place I have seen countless pics of boats loaded up making kick a** waves. I have come to the conclusion that's what these boats are for ( with the exception of the ski models ). I could be wrong, however it's luck of the draw. There are guys who baby their boats and they still break and then there the guys who load the crap out of theirs all of the time and never have any problems......Go figure.

If you are one of those guys who don't want to add any extra ballast or use the wedge for fear of damage to your boat, my guess is that you are some kind of a poser who probably should have bought a pontoon to ride around in while you sip your wine and listen to your classical music. Or at the least you should not criticize the people who do load up their boats.

I have two sons who post on this forum also. We really get a kick out of some of you who think about the stupidest things to whine about. To each his own.

I personally love to read when guys get on here and act all tough behind a keyboard and sit there and cuss shorthand. Must really make people feel better, or maybe you're just showing off for the kids I don't know. Everyone has an opinion remember that, and yours is no better than anyone elses.

Since you're in your first year with a Malibu and have everything figured out any other advice you could lend besides "STFU"?

To Onlyinboards who originally posted the boat in the classifieds I appologize for writing anything there, it was out of line and uncalled for. That wasn't the place for it and I'd like to appologize to you for that. To johnsvt thanks for taking this discussion into a new thread.

Why? It is harder for an engine to run 2400 rpm vs. 3200rpm and maintain a consistant speed.

Any thoughts? am I completely lost?

What is harder about the engine running one speed vs another... the engine is running, that is what it does. Always wonder what "working harder" really means, and it doesn't really do anything different to maintain speed

I do like that you tried to move the discussion off his sale thread, nice move

A motor's "sweet spot" is generally higher up in the powerband. For example the big block makes 450hp, but it does that closer to 4500 rpms(just a guess.) So at 2400 rpms the engine is at full throttle to maintain speed yet at 3200 rpms may only be at 2/3 throttle to maintain speed.

This isn't a car, where the load is transferred to the drivetrain... any excess load in a boat is lost through slippage of the prop & prop-wash through the water. Where HP is made, really doesn't change the "wear or work" - just a function of where it is most efficient.

Just another tidbit then on extra ballast....

I have my Vride setup with the bow bag(+200 in lead), MLS, and a 750 in each rear locker and the motor turns about 3100-3300 rpm(OJ 468 prop)

Last year I ran stock ballast and wedge and turned the same rpm(OJ 475 prop.)

So is my boat beat because I run extra weight vs. stock +wedge? I do take good care of my boat and it is real tough to keep it clean considering I might have 1-3 6yr olds on my boat at any given time.

FYI - granola bars are not a good snack :)

Try 8 13year old girls for making a mess average ride day includes 3to6 kids in age from 14 to 5. Does that mean our boats are not taken care of? I think not. Keeping the recomended services done is the most important thing.

Not only granola bars but doritos should be let at home as well. Cry.gif

For those of you who want to rip on the guy because you think he overloaded or was hard on his boat......You should STFU.

Since I have joined this place I have seen countless pics of boats loaded up making kick a** waves. I have come to the conclusion that's what these boats are for ( with the exception of the ski models ). I could be wrong, however it's luck of the draw. There are guys who baby their boats and they still break and then there the guys who load the crap out of theirs all of the time and never have any problems......Go figure.

If you are one of those guys who don't want to add any extra ballast or use the wedge for fear of damage to your boat, my guess is that you are some kind of a poser who probably should have bought a pontoon to ride around in while you sip your wine and listen to your classical music. Or at the least you should not criticize the people who do load up their boats.

I have two sons who post on this forum also. We really get a kick out of some of you who think about the stupidest things to whine about. To each his own.

I personally love to read when guys get on here and act all tough behind a keyboard and sit there and cuss shorthand. Must really make people feel better, or maybe you're just showing off for the kids I don't know. Everyone has an opinion remember that, and yours is no better than anyone elses.

Since you're in your first year with a Malibu and have everything figured out any other advice you could lend besides "STFU"?

To Onlyinboards who originally posted the boat in the classifieds I appologize for writing anything there, it was out of line and uncalled for. That wasn't the place for it and I'd like to appologize to you for that. To johnsvt thanks for taking this discussion into a new thread.

25 years as a boat owner this my first Malibu and I never ripped on anyones boat before. My response was to you who go out of you way to complain about something that has nothing to do with you. I hope you feel better about yourself for saving someone from buying the POS boat that was abused.

25 years as a boat owner this my first Malibu and I never ripped on anyones boat before. My response was to you who go out of you way to complain about something that has nothing to do with you. I hope you feel better about yourself for saving someone from buying the POS boat that was abused.

DC-STRO not everyone here is an Elitist

my 2cent...if you are not buying something it is NONE of your BUISNESS!

Kent,

Must I compare Gerry's dog to some of them cornfed women you haul around?

Whistling.gif

HaHa.. very funny Wes ! Besides, they may be alittle young, I will give ya that. But there are no dogs allowed on my boat (canine or human) ! Had a great time with her this summer, guess Ill be bringin her in soon for winterization. Cry.gif

2.jpg

Edited by kentjina

DC-STRO not everyone here is an Elitist

my 2cent...if you are not buying something it is NONE of your BUISNESS!

I guess the same cound be said if you are NOT BUYING either.

I love your caption at the bottom that is the best. Notworthy.gif

I spent 2 days in that boat last summer, when G Nunn had it. It ran like a top, and he was good at keeping it cleaned up. Gerry was pulling it behind his diesel RV, and it got washed as soon as he rolled into town. He also had a complete 50 hr service done, as he did every time he was in town for Just Ride. I personally drove the boat as well, no issues at the time.

I can't vouch for Lyman, but Gerry took good care of it from what I saw. Gerry is by far the best inboard driver I have ever been around.

I have a pic somewhere too, will dig it up.

Edit, found it.....

I dont know what it is ,,, but seeing a dog in a boat makes me cringe everytime !

My boat would make you cry then...

11_20_05_0008.jpg

Wakeboards are the only thing that has damaged my vinyl though. The hair is a pain, but I can get it out of the carpet.

Edited by vlxjeff

I'm glad this site doesn't have the motorcycle site rules. I like expressing my opinion, whatever the topic. I may not agree with what people say/want/do, but I think they should be free to express themselves.

At the cost of others Jason?

I agree thats its good being able to voice your opinion, but peeps are basically bashing on Keith's boat, potentially hurting his ability to sell it.

I do find it odd that some people would say, " have you seen the wake behind that LSV in Push Process...man would love for my boat to have that kind of wake."