Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding wieght to an 05 VLX

Heavywake

I added about 1000 lbs of additional ballast to my vlx using the 60/40 rule and I could not get it to plane out. The prop has been changed to an Acme 13.25 x 15.5.

Obviously I am doing something wrong. 340 monsoon, quad MLS, And my fat butt. (and six adults distributed throughout the boat) Someone steer me in the right direction please. I need a tidalwave to get me in the air.

Thanks, Rich

Edited by Heavywake

i wonder if the hammerhead will give enough torq for a extra loaded vlx.

my boat took forever to plane out with 7 people wedge and the mls with bow tank plus an extra 200 in the back.

I added about 1000 lbs of additional ballast to my vlx using the 60/40 rule and I could not get it to plane out. The prop has been changed to an Acme  13.25 x 15.5.

Obviously I am doing something wrong.  340 monsoon, quad MLS, And my fat butt.  (and six adults distributed throughout the boat)  Someone steer me in the right direction please.

I have no problem planing out with a full boat although I do not have any ballast other than the factory (and all people on board)

I need a tidalwave to get me in the air.

I would definitely say, that if this is the case you really need to work on your technique. If you have proper technique, edge and load the line correctly you can air off almost all wakes behind a malibu at wakeboarding speeds, even without ballast.

I have an 05 VLX and the wake is definitely world class without any non-standard ballast and even without the wedge.

JZ

I'd have to agree with WakeAndSno on the technique approach. I weigh 245 and get across with just the wedge and midship ballast. As far as tricks determining my skill level, I'm still a beginner.

You may want to make sure you have the right line and board for you as well.

Greg

I'd have to agree with WakeAndSno on the technique approach. I weigh 245 and get across with just the wedge and midship ballast. As far as tricks determining my skill level, I'm still a beginner.

You may want to make sure you have the right line and board for you as well.

Greg

Just to elaborate I weigh 225 and can do plenty of wake 2 wake tricks, grabs, spins and have the backroll nailed. (Just ask the SE and NorCal Wow attnendees :)).

Perhaps another thing we've overlooked is your board size. It can have a major impact on your riding. What is your height, weight and what baord do you currently ride?

JZ

I would of gone with the Hammerhead, oh wait, I did! Biggrin.gif I think the monsoon is a great motor but a little underpowered if you are going to add a lot of extra weight. You have to figure the boat already has 1250 pounds of ballast and it's dragging the wedge around. On top of your peeps in the boat the new VLX weighs in about 600 pounds more than the old VLX. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the monsoon and for a lot of people using stock ballast it's adequate. But for the guys running lots of extra weight - and their is nothing wrong with doing that either - the hammerhead is a much better option. my 2 cents!

I agree 100% about the lack of technique. I really like the wake long and rampy so it doesn't feel like I'm hitting a vertical wall. Shocking.gif The gear I'm using is definitely not in question, so I know its just me. But I was just curious how others

are loading their boats. Wakeandsno could you explain your technique in your terms on how you do the backroll? Thanks everybody.

If you like the wake long and rampy, definitely add weight to the bow.

In terms of technique, there are a few main things I focus on:

• Progressive cut - cut out 15 feet or so, relax for a second and as the line begins to pull you back to center, gradually increase the aggressiveness of your edging.
  • Maintain Edge - it is crucial to maintain the edge that you are building up through the top of the wake and in a wake to wake situation, through the landing. A drill I was taught to practice this is known as the "in-out drill" (sounds dirty, I know Biggrin.gif). Start outside the wake with a heelside approach and cross the first wake absorbing the wake with your knees. Continue your cut through the center and absorb the 2nd wake with your knees again. Maintain the edge, cutting all the way out into the flats. So you cut all the way from flats to flats just as you should when jumping.
  • Body Position edgeing towards the wake - You should establish a seated position as you edge toward the wake. By seated, I mean back straight, bent at the waist and knees, just like you are sitting in a chair. The more aggressive the cut, the more seated you should be. (The exception to this is for some advanced inverts and spins in which case you have a slightly different approach to the wake (i.e. for a tantrum).
  • Body position when you edge through the wake - When you reach the wake, maintain your edge all the way through the peak, standing tall as you ride up the wake. Essentially, you are pushing off the wake, releasing the potential energy you have built up in the line tension and in your momentum towards the wake, and preventing it from simply being absorbed by your knees.
  • Handle Position - It is critical to keep the handle near your hips to keep your center of gravity low. Imagine playing tug of war with the rope straight out in front of you or above your head... It won't work, you'll be pulled off balance, right onto your head.

All of these items play heavily into the approach and execution of a heelside backroll. The only difference I make is right at the wake, I actually cut AWAY from the boat to boost the tension on the line one more time and to set the rotation. The differentiating part of the jump itself is, once you have edged through the top of the wake (all the way), you look back over your back shoulder to continue the rotation to be inverted. (if that makes any sense).

JZ

Check out the Book DVD series. I'm guessing more ramp would only encourage less than ideal technique. I'd bet your coming off edge up the wake and not getting air because of it. I added 300# on each side in the rear and have found the wedge to be too much wake! (Never thought I'd say that)

You may also want to rethink your board choice. Last year on MBO, Wake and Sno had a great story about how changing rocker types really helped him. I followed his lead and saw immediate results. That was a year ago - so this year I figured I've progressed and now was ready for my 3 stage "more pop" board. Well, after a day of hearing every one of my kids say "not as high as last time, Dad" I reverted. The continuous rocker on my Belmont is just a better match for my riding style. Sometimes you can have an equipment mismatch - so I'd check into it.