Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull Protection

Malibuzer

I have finally got around to taking some pics of my trailer tow protector. It is huge compared to anything else on the market. What do you guys think? The guy that made it has to make a couple of changes to it to make it fit better around the spare tire but it sure seems to work well.

post-5478-1224211450_thumb.jpg

post-5478-1224211460_thumb.jpg

post-5478-1224211468_thumb.jpg

post-5478-1224211477_thumb.jpg

I'd think some heavy duty mud flaps would work as well, and not so conspicuous.. since you asked, that's what I think ;)

What keeps it from rubbing on the boat, or trailer? Hard to tell how it is secured... what do you do when you launch, does it stay in place?

Do you drive through a lot of rocks? White hulls don't show the rock chips so bad, so seems like overkill to me, though I would have liked to have some protection for the dark blue on mine, or rocks on the trailer.

The material is about 1 to 2" away from the rub rail. The material is secured to the boat on some "L" shaped brackets that attach to the frame. We do end up going down some gravel at times. The two biggest reasons were for towing behind the motorhome for long distances, and the fact that in Alberta there has been a trend towards covering older pavement with stone chips to add traction in the winter. The stone chips are spread over an adhesive and there is a lot of extra stone that flys around for several months after the fact. I had the mustache style brooms and the heavy mudflaps on the motorhome with the old boat and I still found lots of rock chips on the hull. I figured I would give it a try and see if it would help. $50,000 boat so I figured $750 wouldn't be a big stretch to try and protect it.

Forgot to answer one question. Yes it does stay attached to the trailer when you launch and load. The only issue I have had is that it was a PITA to get to the jack. I just modified the L bracket to come apart from the boat with a simple pin. I will try and get some better pictures for you if anyone would like to see them.

I'd think some heavy duty mud flaps would work as well, and not so conspicuous.. since you asked, that's what I think ;)

What keeps it from rubbing on the boat, or trailer? Hard to tell how it is secured... what do you do when you launch, does it stay in place?

Do you drive through a lot of rocks? White hulls don't show the rock chips so bad, so seems like overkill to me, though I would have liked to have some protection for the dark blue on mine, or rocks on the trailer.

Plus1.gif

I don't blame ya on the added protection I’ve heard I’m anal about the care for my boat as well, if I lived in an area that snowed and rock was used this would be an ideal solution but what prevents rocks or other debris from coming up underneath? I think mud flaps still would be necessary for ultimate protection. IIRC Roadmaster makes a similar type of thing for ½ the price, but if you’re cool w/ it that’s all that matters in the end.

Forgot to answer one question. Yes it does stay attached to the trailer when you launch and load. The only issue I have had is that it was a PITA to get to the jack. I just modified the L bracket to come apart from the boat with a simple pin. I will try and get some better pictures for you if anyone would like to see them.

Trent buddy, i dig it....nothing wrong with protecting that baby up. I currently use the broom style on the hitch, but will move onto this style over the winter months. I see it has a trap door for the winch but do find it any more difficult to crank with the shroud on? I wouldn't mind more pics....i thinkin' i can make that for less than $750 but i would actually have to sit down and calculate it out. This style would definately cut down on the rock chips on my black hull.

Trent buddy, i dig it....nothing wrong with protecting that baby up. I currently use the broom style on the hitch, but will move onto this style over the winter months. I see it has a trap door for the winch but do find it any more difficult to crank with the shroud on? I wouldn't mind more pics....i thinkin' i can make that for less than $750 but i would actually have to sit down and calculate it out. This style would definately cut down on the rock chips on my black hull.

I will try and get some more pics. When I looked at the other products that I could find, I wasn't really impressed with them. I probably could have made one for much less if I had the time, between moving to a new house and other commitments it was an easier option. What I actually paid for it was kind of a wash because I worked it in on the boat purchase deal. There would be a few things I would change on the design though. If I had the need for another one I would probably build it myself over the winter. Until I buy a new boat I won't require another one. And according to the CFO I won't be getting a new boat for a long long time.

Edited by trentj6930