Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom course help.....

spinxt

Ski buddies of mine and I recently put a slalom course in the river we ski in. I drew up a diagram (see below)

slalomdiagram.JPG

We had to come up with a creative anchoring system for each buoy due to the river current. Unfortunately we are loosing balls almost every time we ski it (most from running them over or hitting them). It seems like the weak link in this anchoring system is the plastic zip tie that holds the ball onto the pulley (which slides along the rope as the water depth changes). Can anyone come up with a more secure way to create loop which will allow us to quickly hook and unhook the metal hook to the pulley???

You should attach your ball to the pulley using a bungee cord - use pliers to close the bungee cord hooks around both the ball and the pulley. Probably means you need to shorten the rope that the pulley slides along.

yep need to put a bit of spring into it. we use zip ties in our buoy lines and have little problems. they are strong enough as long as there is a bit of give in the system somewhere. i would suggest a foot or 2 of a bungee type cord with shark clips for easy attaching to the anchor end.

how deep is the river? do you not have a sub buoy of any kind?

courtesy of the gents at skier to skier, this might give you some ideas.

ball_with_mag_-writing_low.jpg

how deep is the river? do you not have a sub buoy of any kind?

courtesy of the gents at skier to skier, this might give you some ideas.

ball_with_mag_-writing_low.jpg

River is very shallow 5-7 feet where the course is....no sub buoy....

I would recommend using surgical tubing (available in rolls from skier to skier) instead of bungee cord. We found that the bungees break down relatively quickly compared to the tubing.