Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WARNING re: Ultimate Water Sports Vacaville, Ca.

BamBu

Took my boat to Ultimate Water Sports on Elmira Rd. in Vacaville, Ca. for an estimate on gel coat damage repair. They told me that they would do a thorough inspection over a couple of days, including taking the boat off the trailer and applying a black powder that would expose all of the smallest damaged areas. All of this, however, would cost me $400.00. They also told me that they would deal with the surveyor that the insurance co. would send to confirm or deny the cost of the repair. They said, "we know all of the surveyors and we will be able to convince them of the need for the repair". They said the $400.00 would be applied to the cost of the repair if I had them do the work....Well, I of course was skeptical about a charge for an estimate, especially $400.00! But, I figured if they did the work, it would be ok... Here's what actually happened: When the surveyor choked on the price for the repair and came back with an estimate half of what Ultimate wanted, they did not convince him like they said they would. When I asked why they didn't get it done, they told me that it was on me to get an attorney and pressure the insurance company myself. When I questioned this, they said, "the surveyor didn't do his job, he didn't want us to take the boat outside where he could see the damage better". I said why should he, you did a multiple day inspection and put the black powder on the bottom which would show all the damage. They responded by saying, "we only do all that if the surveyor asks us to do it, so he didn't do his job"... So they lied in two ways: 1. They didn't do a thorough $400.00 inspection and 2. They didn't convince the surveyor that the estimate was reasonable.

Well, I did all the work (calls to the surveyor, settlement with the insurance co. and research on other repair places) and after paying the $400.00 ransom to get my boat took it to an honest repair shop for $4,000.00 less. Oh, by the way, Ultimate said they also charge the fee because people use them to get insurance settlements and then pocket the money. Hmmm, wonder how anyone gets an insurance settlement with them in the mix?!?

They did not live up to their end of the agreement. I would contact the California Bureau of Automotive Affairs...(I think that is the name of the agency that monitors dealerships). I'm not sure if they cover a boat shop, but I was at a dealership when they were there dealing with a customers problem and they have a lot of power over the dealership.

Malibu should also realize these horrible dealers are a reflection of their products.

Your first mistake was going to Ultimate.

Sorry to hear about the fleasing but I am not a bit suprised.

Yeah, I guess I should have inquired here before going to them...Lesson learned. I should have known better too, as I had a bad experience at the retail store in Cordelia (Fairfield). They didn't want to help me because I was inquiring about used RLX's they might have...they said, "we don't really deal with used boats...we consider ourselves the Mercedes of boat dealers" KID U NOT! Malibu is fortunate that I love their boats cuz the Nautique dealer down the road was really helpful!

I would hate to see someone else get taken by them...I will do some research to see if Calif Bureau of Automotive Affairs does receive complaints against rip off repair shops like this. Thanks thethrillofspeed. Biggrin.gif